Recommendations request - travel to north Italy and return

Thank you both for your replies. We have used Goggle to good effect, looked at ideal locations in cities/towns then read the reviews before booking. The only reason for asking if someone has stayed there and have a recommendation. I'm about to check on the lake Como area although one has already commented that they thought it expensive so will consider Lecco or even further out, say Bergamo. I'll out out a separate request if anyone has been there and recommends where they stayed. Incidentally I have booked all the hotels now and set the routes except for lake Como. The advice from those who helped has been very useful. I will share the plans, things I have learnt while planning and why we chose the routes, etc

I've stayed in Lecco and it's lovely for dinner in the piazza and a stroll along the water's edge.

Thank you. Would you recommend the hotel you stayed in and if so what was the name or link. Thanks
Sorry, I can't remember the name.
It was to the north of the town, on the shore line, and owned by Turkish people and also had secure garage parking at the rear.

Good morning Sir,
A couple of questions if I may. Is there good reason to base yourself in Arabba if visiting the Dolomites? Plan to stay 2 nights so can see the local area. Worried if high up may get some snow? Have you ever considered the Selva / Ortisei area? Or even Bolzano?
Incidentally when I checked out the Passo Pordoi Hotel using Booking.com is came up as vegetarian
Thanks,
Richard
Sorry for the late response to this point. Yes, I did consider, as these areas also look very good.The general view was that we were unlikely to get snow within the first two weeks of September so have stuck with this choice. Thanks for your suggestions

Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions. Really appreciated!

Routes have been planned (using a mixture of fast and scenic roads) and all hotels booked. Have learnt much about booking numerous stops using both recommendations and various booking sites. In some case booked direct. Also found the German tourist board site excellent after researching the Aplenstrasse with a several of good quality biker friendly hotels on route
  • Calais to Saarbrucken
  • Saarbrucken to Lake Konstanz via some of the Black Forest
  • Lake Konstanz to Oberammergau via some of the Deutsche Aplenstrasse and maybe Neuschwanstein castle (good article on this area)
  • Bavaria to Arabba, Italian Dolomites (2 nights)
  • Arabba to Verona (2 nights)
  • Verona to Densenzano, Lake Garda
  • Lake Garda to Lecco, Lake Como (2 nights)
  • Lecco to Landeck, Austria
  • Landeck to Black Forest (2 nights)
  • Black Forest to Eifel
  • Eifel to Ghent (2 nights)
  • Ghent to Calais and home
Not huge distances with several 2 night stops but we are travelling two up, wife is not in the greatest health (one knee replaced with another on the way out) in need of frequent stops, wish to sight see and plus the odd day off the bike to chill out, or wash clothes, etc

I will provide a travel report later in September

Routes have been planned (using a mixture of fast and scenic roads) and all hotels booked. Have learnt much about booking numerous stops using both recommendations and various booking sites. In some case booked direct. Also found the German tourist board site excellent after researching the Aplenstrasse with a several of good quality biker friendly hotels on route
  • Calais to Saarbrucken
  • Lake Konstanz to Oberammergau via some of the Deutsche Aplenstrasse and maybe Neuschwanstein castle (good article on this area)
  • Black Forest to Eifel
Not huge distances with several 2 night stops but we are travelling two up, wife is not in the greatest health (one knee replaced with another on the way out) in need of frequent stops, wish to sight see and plus the odd day off the bike to chill out, or wash clothes, etc

Where are you staying in Arabba?
I intend staying there on the 16th August and can send you photos if you like.
If it's hotel Malita I've loaded photos in a previous ride report.

Khulu's Road trip to Assen Motogp via Romania #290. (2022)​

• Calais to Saarbrucken
  • Black Forest to Eifel

Where in Arabba?

Hi Khulu, we have booked Hotel Portavescovo as the reviews looked good. Cost included half board
I've spent ages this afternoon looking for a hotel in Arabba for the 16th August but no joy!
Sorry, no photos coming your way (at the moment).

Booking.com is listing at least six hotels in Arabba for that one night. Probably more if you call directly.

But hey, wing it, as there are always rooms. I read it here.

Booking.com is listing at least six hotels in Arabba for that one night. Probably more if you call directly.

But hey, wing it, as there are always rooms. I read it here.
Yes, but very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom