Remote keyfob

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like my keyfob is fubarred

I teplaced the key about 3 weeks ago for a new duracell and all was good,

going into work today, the key out of range symbol & warning triangle was on the dash

swapped the battery for an energizer lithium as peeps on here said it was the best one

Set off for home and 10 mins in, and the warning is back on the kombi,

moved my had off the grip over to the start button and it went off only to reappear about 30 secs later

I left it and it went off until i turned into the drive toward the house, when i came on again.

So looks like the fob is fubeed

I can get a replacement fob cheaper than the dealer charges,

Question is, do i need to get the fob coded to the bike, or can i do it with the code key & rearr bumper method

And can i use the code key as a spare key until i get it sorted?

Ive got the big trip in 3 weeks and cant afford to have no bike at this stage of the game

I managed to lose mine earlier in the week. I ordered a new one from Bahnstormer, it costs £200, plus I physically have to collect it, the Datatool thing is another £37.

I would not have picked keyless ignition and whilst it’s my fault I dropped the key, it cannot happen with a traditional ignition.

Looks like my keyfob is fubarred

I teplaced the key about 3 weeks ago for a new duracell and all was good,

going into work today, the key out of range symbol & warning triangle was on the dash

swapped the battery for an energizer lithium as peeps on here said it was the best one

Set off for home and 10 mins in, and the warning is back on the kombi,

moved my had off the grip over to the start button and it went off only to reappear about 30 secs later

I left it and it went off until i turned into the drive toward the house, when i came on again.

So looks like the fob is fubeed

I can get a replacement fob cheaper than the dealer charges,

Question is, do i need to get the fob coded to the bike, or can i do it with the code key & rearr bumper method

And can i use the code key as a spare key until i get it sorted?

Ive got the big trip in 3 weeks and cant afford to have no bike at this stage of the game

You can use emergency key or keyfob with key in hole under rear wheel both do same thing, when no 2032 present, hope you have long arm, need to hold key and press button at same time

Yes you can reprogram a new fob yourself. I did mine last month.
Cut and paste from Adv Rider and it worked a treat.

1. Go out to your bike and retrieve the grey emergency key and place it on the cirular spot under the rear of the bike above the rear wheel.

2. With the grey Key on the magic spot, start your bike.

3. Take the new key fob and place it up against the magic spot with the BMW roundel thats on the fob facing the rear wheel so that you can press it.

4. As you hold the new fob on the spot press and hold the little tiny BMW roundel/emblem on the new key fob and at the same time keep your eye on the yellow missing key triangle on your display. Keep holding it until the triangle goes out and you are done.

1. Go out to your bike and retrieve the grey emergency key and place it on the cirular spot under the rear of the bike above the rear wheel.

3. Take the new key fob and place it up against the magic spot with the BMW roundel thats on the fob facing the rear wheel so that you can press it.

4. As you hold the new fob on the spot press and hold the little tiny BMW roundel/emblem on the new key fob and at the same time keep your eye on the yellow missing key triangle on your display. Keep holding it until the triangle goes out and you are done.

Really helpful to save this info. Thanks

Just check your pockets, mine was doing the regular warning / clearing the warning for weeks. Changed the battery and it came back and thought ffs it’s a brand new bike. Put the key in my other pocket and have never had an issue since. The only thing I can think of is the wiring for my vest which is on the lhs behind the jacket pocket, was causing interference!

Barry

I always keep my keyless fob in the waterproof zipped 'emergency information pocket' on the left sleeve (wristwatch area) of my Klim Lattitude jacket, it's supposed to be for blood group information etc.... but it's also handily nearer to the TFT I suppose than around my neck on lanyard. Never had a problem even with a mid-layer Kies heated jacket (with heated sleeves) interfering with the signal. Maybe because it's the outermost layer ?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Yes correct must add, please make sure emergency key is out of bike range once bike has started, or it will interfere with program process for new fob

I always keep my keyless fob in the waterproof zipped 'emergency information pocket' on the left sleeve (wristwatch area) of my Klim Lattitude jacket, it's supposed to be for blood group information etc.... but it's also handily nearer to the TFT I suppose than around my neck on lanyard. Never had a problem even with a mid-layer Kies heated jacket (with heated sleeves) interfering with the signal. Maybe because it's the outermost layer ?

A bit of nit-picking that for all practical purpose does not matter:

The antenna for the keyless system is located under the seat. That is why the FOB has to be placed under the fender for starting if the FOB battery is out.
So if you want to keep the FOB as close as possible to the antenna, keeping the FOB close to the handlebar is about as far away as you can get. But as you have noted already, it works.

I'm not even going to suggest where to put the FOB in order to get it as close as possible to the antenna :hippy

My 2c of utterly useless information :aidan

Knutk thanks for the information regarding the location of the antenna (bleeding obvious it's under the rear mudguard I suppose) !
My primary purpose of putting it in the emergency sleeve pocket though is there's only 1 pocket and it's on the left sleeve so I won't forget which pocket I've stashed it in !
I never have any reason to go in that pocket because I don't know my blood group anyway I've forgotten it ! and finally I can see the slight bulge on my wrist as I'm riding along so know I haven't left it in the top box lock etc.
When you become as forgetful and doddering as I am a quick glance is always reassuring, rather like having a good 'sit down piss' before you set off on a 30 + mile ride safe in the knowledge you won't have to find a bush after 25 minutes.

Knutk thanks for the information regarding the location of the antenna (bleeding obvious it's under the rear mudguard I suppose) !
My primary purpose of putting it in the emergency sleeve pocket though is there's only 1 pocket and it's on the left sleeve so I won't forget which pocket I've stashed it in !
I never have any reason to go in that pocket because I don't know my blood group anyway I've forgotten it ! and finally I can see the slight bulge on my wrist as I'm riding along so know I haven't left it in the top box lock etc.
When you become as forgetful and doddering as I am a quick glance is always reassuring, rather like having a good 'sit down piss' before you set off on a 30 + mile ride safe in the knowledge you won't have to find a bush after 25 minutes.

I keep my key in pocket trouser, attached with lanyard to my jeans, so not to lose, and picture of Knutk good info credit JVB in usa, fob antenna is round circle, and underneath is position for emergency key or fob with no battery.

I think we all have our 'special place', and the range for the FOB is enough to allow us to keep the key anywhere on our body.

Some of us also have made up an extra dummy key containing no electronics that allows us to open up the paniers, unlock GPS and unlock the seat without needing to ever remove the FOB from this 'special place'

However, as battery in the FOB is approaching it's end of life, the range for the FOB drops.
Knowing the antenna location may make the difference between allowing the FOB to be close to the antenna rather than mess about with the dead battery procedure...

Mine normally resides in the clear pocket on my Rallye jacket

I opened it up last night on a hunch,

I found the sprung prongs all round were well depressed, and there was a slicky gunk over on of the prongs

( i think one of the other battery's i used, had a sticky protector on it, and it may have got stuck on a terminal)

Anyway cleaned it up, and added a small packer on top of the battery to keep it firmly in contact with the +ve prongs

The run to work was fine, it did flash a key range issue, but as i was about 5 feet away from the bike talking to a colleague, i would guess that to be expected.

I went off as i came back to the bike ...

I'll keep an eye on things, i have the emergency key just in case

Mine normally resides in the clear pocket on my Rallye jacket

I opened it up last night on a hunch,

I found the sprung prongs all round were well depressed, and there was a slicky gunk over on of the prongs

( i think one of the other battery's i used, had a sticky protector on it, and it may have got stuck on a terminal)

Anyway cleaned it up, and added a small packer on top of the battery to keep it firmly in contact with the +ve prongs

The run to work was fine, it did flash a key range issue, but as i was about 5 feet away from the bike talking to a colleague, i would guess that to be expected.

I went off as i came back to the bike ...

I'll keep an eye on things, i have the emergency key just in case

Santa the fob is same as emergency key, the chip is in the key same as emergency key, if battery is dead just hold fob under circle.

These bits are behind my left coat pocket.

Could be just a guess but I think there may have been interference from these bits and moving my key to the other pocket cured my problem.

May help others if they have the issue

Barry

Attachments

• A6C241DA-8EFC-4DEB-B2EA-2545AB6A73F3.jpeg
    A6C241DA-8EFC-4DEB-B2EA-2545AB6A73F3.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 334
It’s the new style (triangular ) Ziess controller it does the same with mine and my mates 850 GS’s . I’m in talks with Ziess , who have sent me a new controller to try , but not tried it yet as on holiday , purchased original Ziess heavy duty controller and no issues with this

Back
Top Bottom