Replacing Paralever Driveshafts

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
Can any of you guys that have done this send me a private message, or post details here, if you be willing for me to contact you ? My s/h replacement shaft is making noise and I would like to discuss your failures (shafts - not in life ;) )
The taper rolling bearings on bevel / swingarm looked fine so not replaced - the swing arm bearings fine, so again left as were.
The replacement shaft 'seemed' fine. All was taken apart and re-assembled correctly, and methodically, and bloody carefully.
There where no new shafts available, and in fact only this as s/h at time, so had to go for this one.
Seems incredable that this one is failing within 1000 miles (well 500 probably) - but I guess it can happen.
Would like some background before I take next step.
Can't afford to take bike off road as I need it for work in near future - but have holiday planned at end of August so things are getting desparate.
It's all right, I won't burst in to tears on phone or anything - just want to find out if you did all bearings at same time (it ain't compulsory or even advised as far as I can see).
Feel free to post details here if you prefer.
Thanks in advance

Looks like another strip down coming.:(
Were the bearings IN the shaft replaced? They start off quite stiff when new.
I've never replaced any other bearings in that area. ALL bearings apart from the shaft U/J bearings are original. So I don't think they are your problem.
If you've fitted a S/Hand shaft with old/worn bearings it is conceivable that they were just about knackered when you put it in.

Ta Howard
The s/h shaft certainly seemed fine when I got it, firm without any feelable 'play'. (not a rebuilt one) I was after some background incase I have to support my claim for a further one after only 500 or so miles. I could get this one 'Eric'd' but with Corsica looming I haven't the time. Bloody 'ell ! 3rd time lucky - do I really want a £250 replacement ? Cheers for info on other bearings, glad it confirms my thoughts. Should be quicker this time, just half a day to align splines !!

right!

i'm off to change the boots on my paralever.

back in 10 mins :D

ps. does the para part of paralever mean it's not a "proper" lever and that it only partly works?

you'll never guess.... there's a very small bit of play in the top cruciform bearing in my drive shaft. would be nothing to worry about on a guzzi, but i 'spect it's the end of the world as we know it* on a paralever :mad:

how unexpected :rolleyes:

it's only a tiny, tiny bit of play. i really had to stick one end in the vice to be sure.

is there any more life in it, or should i put a new one on?

*and i don't feel fine.

motorworks had one in stock so i ordered it.

might get the old one fritz'd. anyone got an email for him?

only the g/b output bearing to go now :p

might get the old one fritz'd. anyone got an email for him?

of course i meant eric'd (i think). the german chap that re cons driveshafts. confused meself. spending large sums upsets me like that.

Eric Demant - £££££££££ but your drive shaft will never fail again (allegedly). Mind you the out put shaft bearing will, the clutch will and the gearbox will but not the shaft :rolleyes:

I've just sourced an 8000 mile old lump of pig iron which apparantly is a shaft. Just waiting for the day the other one calls time on me and in it'll go - just can't see me getting it eric'd before then.

£££££££££ ?

can't be as much as a new one.

can it?

cookie said:
£££££££££ ?

can't be as much as a new one.

can it?
In this thread Robbo suggests £170 for a Demant 'breathed on' drive shaft but I'm sure your shaft goes the other way as an exchange unit. I have a recollection though from Nobby of something closer to £200 (though he might have said €250).

A new 'un being £210 I believe.

Kind of glad now I picked up my spare for £70 :D

Eric Damant

Here's a section from my mail from Eric

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GS rider,
seems like that the driveshaft from the GS model will never end. Most people hate and love their GS and complained to BMW millions of times without any luck.
No doubt:Valeo starter,driveshaft and tranny ,oh yes the rear drum brake are a big joke.Quality is poor.Unfortunatly the GS model was never tested thourougly before it went into the production.
Yes i still do the overhaul from the GS driveshfaft.
The price is 335 Euro including air mail to England.
I need your old driveshaft.Is it badlyworn out.Are the yokes of the shaft totally torn apart?
If not then i can do the overhaul.Unfortunatly i don,t have any good worn out driveshafts laying around here anymore,otherwise i could send you one and you send me yours whenever you have the time..
Eric Demant
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His email is take this offErdemant@aol.comtake this off (that bits in the hope spammers can't drag the address off in their insidious ways !)
Email him first - he was on way to California when last we spoke. Say I passed the details on and that you're from the UK GS Club and it'll all make sense to him. (no discount though !)

With the Euro rate I'm afraid it makes the cost about £240 on top of cost of shaft if you've bought one to do it to. :eek:

Oh and Cookie - if you've got the last paralever in the UK I'm after you ! I'm about to ring to resolve mine - can't send to Eric as I'd like, as I need one for Corsica in 5 weeks (lifes a bitch eh !). I know this is gonna end in gears, I mean tears. Good luck mate

:(

Oh and Cookie - if you've got the last paralever in the UK I'm after you ! I'm about to ring to resolve mine - can't send to Eric as I'd like, as I need one for Corsica in 5 weeks (lifes a bitch eh !). I know this is gonna end in gears, I mean tears. Good luck mate

i do have the last one from motorworks, or will have if parcel force don't chuck it in a river & lose it. first place i tried, so motobins may well have them. at least they are in bins catalogue unlike motorworks who acted like no one had ever asked for such a part.

bins want £30 more though :(

i got a hardly worn s/h shaft spare though. one lady owner etc.

S/H - the replacement one you got I assume ?
The latest one I have that is failing is a s/h one from the same place. I was due to ring 'em but I've had a very long afternoon with the police (it's a long story........) so haven't been able to make the call. So that'll mean no replacement in stock then - it's getting more difficult by the day.........Pass the booze :boozer

If it comes down to it I may be chasing up some favours with my airhead chums as I can see I'm not going to get on holiday if things don't start going right - not sure about a shaft that's only had one lady owner though - is it from Thailand ? ;)

to clarify:

i have brand new BMW driveshaft coming from motoworks. it's the only one they have got AFAIK. this item is not in their catalogue for some reason.

i would personally not want to fit a s/h driveshaft unless it was pretty cheap as even new ones seem to have a somewhat limited life.

s/h one mentioned is the slightly worn one i took out. dunno how many miles are left on it. as i've stumped up for a replacement, sods law would say thousands. i was going to get that one done by eric 'til i saw the price. too much investment to keep as a spare, that's for sure! might even put it back in for a while as new one has not turned up.

why are you worried? 5 weeks sounds plenty of time to get/fit shaft.

No problem with fitting a shaft within 5 weeks (only takes a week to align the splines ;) !)
The problem is getting one.
My current s/h one has a 6 month guarantee – so a replacement one is my best option (I still want to get an Eric’d shaft done at some point – hence going down the s/h line)
There are no s/h ones in stock (where the shaft came from) so that’s a limit.
Could take it off and get reconditioned – but would have no transport, and the reconditioning isn’t likely to resolve the original problems.
Can get a new one and offset costs – but is a +£200 BM shaft going to last a lifetime………….I haven’t heard of them being greatly improved since day one.
I don’t want to hang on for a s/h one to come into stock.
I have a plan…………………
:rolleyes:

No problem with fitting a shaft within 5 weeks

i might have. still not got mine from motorworks yet. ordered some more stuff for another bike on monday & asked where my shaft had got to:

"still here",

er why?,

"i'll get it sent out today"

why wasn't it sent out when i ordered it?

"i'll get on to despatch, if there's any problem i'll ring back"

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

came today, just now. so i won't have time to fit it today got to go and sort someones pc out.

New shaft ordered for diff' in price (not in stock though - wonder where the last one went ;) ).
Current one to keep, and off to our German fixer prob' over winter - so that'll be a nice round £450 for the pair by the time 'fixed' on old and new on bike.................cheap as cheaps these BM's.........they just go and go ! Onwards, onwards

just going to fit it now, as long as nothing else comes up.

sounds like the hard bit is aligning the splines. i intend to do that with bevel box removed, then bolt it up. looks possible.

Back
Top Bottom