ROSPA Riding

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had an initial assessment ride before Christmas, it was lashing with rain and blowing a gale on that day. I did poorly.
Today I had my second assessment ride with a different instructor, I still didn't do very well, far too many 4s. I need to buck my ideas up before I spend a small fortune on a wasted test. I need to adjust my brake light switch on the pedal too, it works, but only with a hefty amount of foot on it and I tend to feather it gently. Getting better though.

Custom_web 1.jpg

Keep it up, things will improve. You probably haven't had many assessed rides up until now. That in itself takes a bit of time. Good luck 👍

Many years ago, I failed the test In Aberdeen, the instructor was from Thurso, I don’t think he’d ever seen anything as busy as Aberdeen. He failed me for going round the “circle“ the wrong way. Took me a while to work out he meant roundabout, by that stage in my driving career, I sort of knew which way to go round a roundabout. But I did not bother arguing.

I never went back…..

🤦🏻‍♂️

Have you got a copy of the Roadcraft book? It not, consider getting a copy. You'll need it to help you understand the system of motorcycle control. When you master that, in theory, it won't matter what the weather is doing as you'll apply that system to help you determine how best to ride given the hazards you are presented with.

Keep it up though, practice makes perfect as they say. And as others have said, having a tutor behind you who you should ignore as though they are not there takes some getting used to.

Which group are you with out of interest?

Being dumb here, are those scores out of 5 or 10 ? (I am presuming 5?)

Being dumb here, are those scores out of 5 or 10 ? (I am presuming 5?)
Yup. The RoSPA scoring system is 1 to 5. 5 being best and 1 needing most improvement. I can't remember the actual wording but it's something like that.

Last edited:
Have you got a copy of the Roadcraft book? It not, consider getting a copy. You'll need it to help you understand the system of motorcycle control. When you master that, in theory, it won't matter what the weather is doing as you'll apply that system to help you determine how best to ride given the hazards you are presented with.

Keep it up though, practice makes perfect as they say. And as others have said, having a tutor behind you who you should ignore as though they are not there takes some getting used to.

Which group are you with out of interest?
Staffordshire Riders - it is the monthly meeting tonight but I had to make my apologies, catch up on work this evening that I should have been doing during the day, but the good weather window was not to be missed!

My scores were similar (your second run) before my first RoSPA test - I got a gold, and two others since.

You'll be fine.
Arese about face. Look at the very bottom of my picture, the scoring system is outlined there.

Don't beat yourself up about it, from what I can see of your scoring you are almost there.

Nothing worse than a 4, so you are clearly safe and competent, you just need to show them the last piece of the puzzle they are looking for in each category that needs improving.

Shouldn't take you long to polish up your riding to the required test standard, well done.

I did IAM myself and almost scored a "First" on my test but one minor fucked that up. I doubt I'd be anywhere near test standard if I was assessed now, but to be honest I am happy with the way I ride, I am still a thinking and proactive rider (rather than reactive) and I don't agree 100% with everything I was shown/taught anyway.

I regret not getting an assessed ride with somebody like Giles or Micky, I might approach "Rapid Training" and remedy this.

Good luck with the test when you take it, you'll do great.

I have spotted the key to your improvement….

This time you bunged him £20 last time nowt, what do you expect 🤣🤣🤣
I was asked about that - he forgot to write it in. I shall add a '0' after he puts it right, to make the others jealous!

That's a great set of scores for a 2nd ride out. The only advice I can give is the same advice I give my students and that is practise, lots, there is no substitute for time in the saddle going through the pointers given to you by your tutor.

Enjoy your training

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Out of interest what is steering input ?

Out of interest what is steering input ?
For me I'm looking for steering input to be smooth and controlled, the biggest thing you often see novice riders doing is 50 pencing corners and roundabouts.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom