RTP twin cam...what years?

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of adding another bike to my collection one one! Was wondering if any of you have bought an RTP as they seem to be pretty well maintained and good ones can be had under £6K. Are there any particular years to look for and any serious issues to look out for?

All normal issues + extra wear & tear

Some parts are RTP only, and they do make significant changes to the bike

They may have been ridden hard for every mile they cover, or just sat languishing on a stop

I'll give it some thought but sounds like inspection is a must. Thanks for the response. Money no object I'd go for a late 1200LC or 1250 but its for a 2nd bike to scratch that itch.

Might just consider selling my civvy RT TC, 2011, 13k miles and impeccable service history.

I just seem to be riding my GS more these days.

Yes, I've seen loads for sale under 6K. Lots of poor examples too. I'd be looking at maintenance history, particularly wrt suspension & clutches for high milers. What I'm not after is a project bike. been there, got the tee shirts. I was drawn to RTP's and to ex DVSA bikes as they seem to be well maintained. There's currently a few cracking looking LC's (ex DVSDA) up for grabs, and that tells me I may not have to restrict myself to a TC which I'm surprised at. Lots of bike for the money. I love my RS but my wife doesn't. She says the pillion seat is too short and uncomfortable, especially with the top box in place (overhangs the rear seat space a bit) hence considering adding an RT to the stable.

The problem with DVSA & police bikes is they are not standard
They may have different gearing on the cardon, drive,

Parts that are OE standard are missing , and to replace can be expensive - or have lots of holes in them !

Yes they are maintained, but may be missing a service due to them being sold on.

Wiring may altered to suit accessories , so may not function as you expect

I'd do a search on buying ex PA bikes before you spend - they are more likely to become a project bike lol

True, but some do come with extras such as pillion seats and it's easy enough to check what may have been changed. Point taken though and its one deserving serious consideration and care.

I work for the dvsa and have a new RT. It is the basic model with no modifications as coms is now all by Bluetooth so no additional wiring required. My previous bike was a 2018 1200RT which was the se model, again no modifications. Both bikes had standard panniers, top case, dual seat etc. No difference to those in the showroom, apart from being either white or black and covered in stickers!

Thanks Blackrat and confirms what I found when looking at one of them. Police bikes may be different but DVSA ones look to be the same bar the stickers! Is your new one much differnt to ride than your 2018 (1200?) model?

Thanks Blackrat and confirms what I found when looking at one of them. Police bikes may be different but DVSA ones look to be the same bar the stickers! Is your new one much differnt to ride than your 2018 (1200?) model?
My 18 reg was the se version. Current 22 one is the basic model, lacking many of the 'toys' my own 22 LE has. That said, many owners prefer this version, less to go wrong!

Back
Top Bottom