Same but different

Hartley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Spent this weekend getting the miles on my GSA to try to get it in for its first service before the workshop is full of bikes being prepd for March 1st orders.
Done 300 miles in two days and I’m quite surprised by how different the GSA feels compared to my 21 GS I chopped in. Not sure if it’s the fact it’s bloody cold and I’m all trussed up to stay warm so not exactly comfortable but I just don’t feel quite as confident on it as I did my GS.

It maybe that the roads are a bit slippery and unpredictable therefore im a little on edge not as relaxed as I’d normally be. To be fair, I’d not normally be out when the temps staying below 5degrees.

I’m sure that’s nothing wrong with the bike but I am finding it a little difficult to get to grips with at with at the moment.

The hight and suspension are different between GS and GSA. That way, the ride is not the same. Your center of gravity is just a bit higher so it may feel that the bike is more difficult to keep balanced on slower speeds.

Spent this weekend getting the miles on my GSA to try to get it in for its first service before the workshop is full of bikes being prepd for March 1st orders.
Done 300 miles in two days and I’m quite surprised by how different the GSA feels compared to my 21 GS I chopped in. Not sure if it’s the fact it’s bloody cold and I’m all trussed up to stay warm so not exactly comfortable but I just don’t feel quite as confident on it as I did my GS.

It maybe that the roads are a bit slippery and unpredictable therefore im a little on edge not as relaxed as I’d normally be. To be fair, I’d not normally be out when the temps staying below 5degrees.

I’m sure that’s nothing wrong with the bike but I am finding it a little difficult to get to grips with at with at the moment.

Been doing the same this week, took me a couple of days to get confident, new bike, new tires, cold weather and shitty roads

Once you stop thinking about what you’re doing and just ride like it was your old bike it’ll come together all by itself (y)

I came from a 2020 GS to my 23 GSA and the GSA is more top heavy and slower to turn, so these 2 factors with new tyres & being cold are enough to make you feel the difference.

A few miles to familiarise yourself with the new height & weight distribution along with keeping the tank level lower should see you acclimatise nicely.

I felt mine also just needs some time/miles to get dialled in properly which with the GS perhaps isn't necessary.

I agree with the 1250GSA being quite a lot different the 1250GS, I wouldn't have thought there would be as much difference as there is. I agree with Bosnjo, the slow speed just needs to be got used to. The cold weather and extra gear you wear definitely has an effect.

However that's where it stops, I was out on mine on Friday and Saturday, and I feel it's so much better than what my 2020 GS was. It feels more stable, the quick shifter is so much better. Once you get used to the slight difference in bulk, height and weight I think you'll be ok.

I've also booked my 1st service for end Feb, so need to get another few hundred miles in before then.

I'm really liking the bike and it's bigger dimensions apart from when wheeling it abut the garage with a full tank. Scotland in May and I can't wait!

I'm just passed the first service with 850 miles. But now i've got used to it, I'm wanting to get out on it more. I don't normally go out on it in winter 😲

I've just signed up for the RBLR 1000 in June, hope i've done the right thing :oops:

I'm just passed the first service with 850 miles. But now i've got used to it, I'm wanting to get out on it more. I don't normally go out on it in winter

I've just signed up for the RBLR 1000 in June, hope i've done the right thing :oops:
What's the RBLR?

Thanks for all the reassuring comments gents, it is appreciated.
guess you normally get familiar with a bike in decent weather. ( though I have bought 4 bikes in December 🤪)
I agree the quick shifter is definitely better than my GS and I’m hoping the extra size will pay dividends for a few two up weekends and this years tour to Tuscany.

I'm just passed the first service with 850 miles. But now i've got used to it, I'm wanting to get out on it more. I don't normally go out on it in winter 😲

i hope you ticked the right route - north

preferably anti-clockwise everyone does clockwise

I've also booked my 1st service for end Feb, so need to get another few hundred miles in before then.

I'm really liking the bike and it's bigger dimensions apart from when wheeling it abut the garage with a full tank. Scotland in May and I can't wait!
Not many better places to ride a bike than Scotland 👍🏻

i hope you ticked the right route - north

preferably anti-clockwise everyone does clockwise
Exactly that. I thought that I'd be better doing M6, M61 and M62 for the dark bits at the end.

Confidence takes time and can be upset by little things, even down to tyre choice and road surface/temperature. If the grip isn't there you are unlikely to push the bike to its limits of grip for fear of coming off, and when it lets go you might not get much (or any) warning.

When the weather improves and the tarmac warms, you might find you are a bit happier to ride a bit harder and get a better feel for the GSA, its a big old bus after all.

Without wishing to turn this in to a tyre thread as we each have our preferences, if you are on the standard OE tyres you may find your enjoyment and confidence improve once the stock tyres are worn out and other brands are fitted. For me personally I went for Continental Trail Attack 3 on my 1250GSA and they have been a very good tyre.

Enjoy Tuscany, I broke my bike in with a four day dash around Wales then a trip to Italy and it was well planted and all-day comfortable.

Confidence takes time and can be upset by little things, even down to tyre choice and road surface/temperature. If the grip isn't there you are unlikely to push the bike to its limits of grip for fear of coming off, and when it lets go you might not get much (or any) warning.

When the weather improves and the tarmac warms, you might find you are a bit happier to ride a bit harder and get a better feel for the GSA, its a big old bus after all.

Without wishing to turn this in to a tyre thread as we each have our preferences, if you are on the standard OE tyres you may find your enjoyment and confidence improve once the stock tyres are worn out and other brands are fitted. For me personally I went for Continental Trail Attack 3 on my 1250GSA and they have been a very good tyre.

Enjoy Tuscany, I broke my bike in with a four day dash around Wales then a trip to Italy and it was well planted and all-day comfortable.
I’m on the original A41 Bridgestones, it’s not a brand I particularly like. I know in reality the tyres are better than me but as we all know if you don’t trust your tyres it can really get into your head.
I had two sets of the Conti TA3s on my GS and liked them.

Fortunately me and a few mates did the NC500 before it was known as such.was superb.
Last time I went up did the Crieff cloverleaf which was good. Also staid for a few days in Lairg and looped out of there.
I've been riding up to and around Scotland for >20 years and have ridden most roads in either direction a few times. I blame the YouTube brigade and their unimaginative followers who flock to the NC500 like a load of Chinese tourists to the highest rated restaurant in town according to Tripadvisor!

Back
Top Bottom