Sandraiders 2023

monoi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

My 1990 R100 GS PD was 1 of only 2 BMW airheads having taken part in this (out of 115 bikes). Stock bike (apart from twin plugs and Hagon shock) but the old girl kept going, the only limitation being the rider (ie me) due to lack of offroad skills and general fitness. I did the BMW offroad skill course level 1 and 2 in the weeks before going but it is one thing to muck around on someone else's bike and another to do it with your own! The weight of the bike did not help but its power and torque saved the day many times. I've owned the bike since new and I want to keep as original as possible, although I'm making modifications for next year to try and reduce weight a bit (all can be reversed to stock).

Anyhow, I posted some videos on youtube for those interested. :)

I hope you enjoy it.

Hi all,

My 1990 R100 GS PD was 1 of only 2 BMW airheads having taken part in this (out of 115 bikes). Stock bike (apart from twin plugs and Hagon shock) but the old girl kept going, the only limitation being the rider (ie me) due to lack of offroad skills and general fitness. I did the BMW offroad skill course level 1 and 2 in the weeks before going but it is one thing to muck around on someone else's bike and another to do it with your own! The weight of the bike did not help but its power and torque saved the day many times. I've owned the bike since new and I want to keep as original as possible, although I'm making modifications for next year to try and reduce weight a bit (all can be reversed to stock).

Anyhow, I posted some videos on youtube for those interested. :)

I hope you enjoy it.
Harry Metcalfe at the briefing (day 2 vid) gave you a good looking over.

(y) Good lord. I’d been looking at a 125cc for that. Well done!

Harry and his group were very nice. You meet a lot of very interesting people as well.

The weight is the killer really but it's nice to have a big tank. I have a lithium battery (3kgs saved right there!) but not much else.

The modifications for next year: install a migsel sidestand, getting rid of the original as well as the centre stand. Going solo seat, so will try and cut the rear section of the subframe (I bought a used one for that), I'm also changing the rear fender with an acerbis and will try and fit a rear slip on exhaust instead of the stock one. Also some hagon front springs and a stronger brace for the forks, as well as removing the stock indicators front and rear for small led ones. I'll probably save about 500grs in all :giggle:

I'm looking at a wedgetail ignition too.

That third vid in the soft sand made me tense watching it. You did well getting across it. It’s my least favourite surface to ride on with a heavy bike. Absolute respect for you doing this event on your airhead

There is no setup, I just swapped the usual type with https://twotyres.co.uk/product/yix30l-bs-lithium-motorcycle-battery/

Not cheap but works a treat, so much lighter it's weird, and you gain some space too. No modifications to the charging system needed and it coped with the 40 deg plus heat perfectly well. On top of being shaken to bits.
Very interesting that you didn't have to change the charge system. I have heard all sorts of modifications having to be made.
I have a small outboard (Selva 9.9) that is electric start with a self contained Li battery within the cowling, no wires anywhere. The battery lasts ages with the motor just stood doing nothing and even in the depths of winter with solid ice on the boat in the morning it worked perfectly, firing her straight up, there is a charging generator on the motor - so very similar to a motorbike setup. Even sat for a year she just fired up on the turn of the key. The weight of the full battery on the airheads is a significant lump.

That third vid in the soft sand made me tense watching it. You did well getting across it. It’s my least favourite surface to ride on with a heavy bike. Absolute respect for you doing this event on your airhead

Very interesting that you didn't have to change the charge system. I have heard all sorts of modifications having to be made.
I have a small outboard (Selva 9.9) that is electric start with a self contained Li battery within the cowling, no wires anywhere. The battery lasts ages with the motor just stood doing nothing and even in the depths of winter with solid ice on the boat in the morning it worked perfectly, firing her straight up, there is a charging generator on the motor - so very similar to a motorbike setup. Even sat for a year she just fired up on the turn of the key. The weight of the full battery on the airheads is a significant lump.
Straight swap, that's how they sold it to me and it works. The weight difference is crazy, it seems unreal. I was so impressed, I got one for another bike :)

I have just watched your videos back to back. Cap well and truly doffed to you, Sir. How did you stay upright in that sand? I have never ridden in sand but it looked horrendous to deal with. The small rock surface was also a tester - I don't blame you for going steady. What a brilliant event to take part in.

I have just watched your videos back to back. Cap well and truly doffed to you, Sir. How did you stay upright in that sand? I have never ridden in sand but it looked horrendous to deal with. The small rock surface was also a tester - I don't blame you for going steady. What a brilliant event to take part in.
If you noticed, there are 2 days "missing" in the videos... That's because I was truly exhausted and had no strength left in my hands. The good thing was that we could go on the road to reach the destination of the day which I did on those 2 days as I thought it was more reasonable. Some of the riders were very good and doing extra laps in the dunes, but a few did not finish. It definitely gives you a sense of respect for the original Paris Dakar riders, I don't know how those guys managed it.

I only had to work on the beemer to remove a broken mirror after a fall to reattach the handguard. The bike took it all in its stride like it was nothing.

I must be a glutton for punishment as I'm doing it again next year twice (Morocco and Tunisia) :)

Back
Top Bottom