Servo ABS removal.

Steve E

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Motor Works ABS removal kit and how easy was it to do? Any pitfalls that I need to look out for. Seriously looking at doing this to my 2005 GS as it now has total servo abs and brake failure and the brake light now stays on permanently.

Has anyone used the Motor Works ABS removal kit and how easy was it to do? Any pitfalls that I need to look out for. Seriously looking at doing this to my 2005 GS as it now has total servo abs and brake failure and the brake light now stays on permanently.
The "kit" only consists of 50 pence worth copper brake line and some banjo bolts. And the banjo bolts are already on your bike and can used when removing the existing brake lines. :D . I'f you can remove/delete the abs/servo modulator then you can certainly make up the two sections of brake line.

This has probably been answered before (i can't find it but hey ho) but how does removing the ABS system from the M/C affect future MoTs? My understanding ( i may be wrong) is that as the bike was built with ABS it has to have ABS for its MoT. Also, what do you do about the ABS button on the LH controls if/when removing the ABS.

put some black tape inside the cluster to cover up the led, cover up the abs button then find a nice mot person that "doesn`t" look for the button, not the proper way i know but it works, took mine off 18 months ago and had it mot`d ok, there was someone on here a while back who spliced the loom back to non-abs and i think re jigged the ecu with the motosacan to non abs. there were talks about different ecu`s but someone said No, its just options within the ecu, I tried quizzing a bmer tech once over this and they were a bit sketchy and didn`t want to fully say yes or no. not the answer i think you want but I`m still waiting myself for someone to say done this.👍

This is what i intend. Just ordered original BMW rear brake pipe and front splitter. Will split dash and apply tape. Need to get this done ASAP as MoT next month.

Have a look on YouTube for normski he shows how to do it ,

I made sure I told the insurance company that the Servo had been removed from my bike.
Also you will need to keep the electronics part of the servo on the bike so that the speedo works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve, if you send me a PM i'll forward on a document I made up with instructions and photos when I did mine (2004 model) a few years ago (2016). I used the splitter from Motor Works as it was cheap and neat. I don't include instructions on taking off the dash unit but that's straight forward enough and only needs to be done to paint over the flashing warning LED. I could never work out how to turn that off. I haven't had any problems since I did it and the breaks work fine, both front and rear.

put some black tape inside the cluster to cover up the led, cover up the abs button then find a nice mot person that "doesn`t" look for the button, not the proper way i know but it works, took mine off 18 months ago and had it mot`d ok, there was someone on here a while back who spliced the loom back to non-abs and i think re jigged the ecu with the motosacan to non abs. there were talks about different ecu`s but someone said No, its just options within the ecu, I tried quizzing a bmer tech once over this and they were a bit sketchy and didn`t want to fully say yes or no. not the answer i think you want but I`m still waiting myself for someone to say done this.👍
My local Bmw dealer told me my bike would fail MoT if i remove abs. Two independent MoT testers have said that as long as there are no warning lights then no problem.

Well, abs servoectomy carried out using for the rear brakes, the genuine brake pipe for a non abs machine and for the front brakes a splitter connection from Motorrad along with their back plate for the ECU module. All in took about three hours including bleeding the brakes. Weird having no servo whirr when the ignition switched on. I now have brakes that work and won't fail because of an electrical component going down. Blanking off the LEDs in the dash was easy, using some black foam cut to size. No red triangle of death but still get the yellow triangle when low on fuel.

Brake lights working OK Steve ? Sometimes these need a bit of re-work if the servo module is missing. if I remember rightly, the switches are break rather than the usual make contacts.
Where in Oxon are you ?
Cheers
John

Brake lights working OK Steve ? Sometimes these need a bit of re-work if the servo module is missing. if I remember rightly, the switches are break rather than the usual make contacts.
Where in Oxon are you ?
Cheers
John
The brake lights still use the servo/abs ECU which is retained so no “reworking” is required.

Where in Oxon are you ?
Cheers
John
Every thing working as normal. Steptoe as always is correct.

Bugger, front brakes went all spongy. I now have a brake fluid leak from bottom of Master cylinder reservoir. Another fluid change and master cylinder reservoir re-seal to be done. That will have to wait till the weekend. Just need an 'O' ring I hope. Mind you the reservoir cap was damn tight when i had to remove it. Probably disturbed the "O" when I took the cap off.

Back
Top Bottom