So what to do - GSA LC 2014 / GS LC or later GSA air cooled and save some cash?

Pottsie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good evening.

It's a long one - but as a somre 30 years plus as a tourer/sports tourer rider earlier in the year I bought an 05 GS to see what it was like. It's old and clunky but I love it and as a result have put my 13 plate Triumph Trophy up for sale with a view to getting a newer GS but there is a dilemma.

Having put down a holding deposit down today on a 2014 GSA LC I'm trying actually to reconcile what it is exactly that I'm getting over and above the GS I have.

To start with the GSA seems noisier (and I've asked a couple of others and they would agree) so is it going to spoil the ride.

The screen seems not as efficient at clearing the wind from my head and is seemingly quite flimsy - are there decent taller alternatives.

I'm not entirely convince the new engine is (or at least feels) as torquey and the engine braking doesn't seem to me to quite have the control the air cooled did (is this just my imagination)

The GSA seems as if it's higher revving and I thought that through it felt like there was a resonating feeling around 3K as you slowly accelerate.

So - with all these doubts floating around I'm wondering do people think that buying a later air cooled GSA with all the kit on them is potentially a better move than necessarily going for an early LC - what is that extra 3K actually buying me - is even buying a GS LC maybe that bit new again a move worth considering - there are so many variables I feel like boiling my head!

Has anyone got any pearls of wisdom (that I may not necessarily follow through) based on their actual knowledge of the air cooled and LC models. One of my mates who has the newest LC says for he would even consider moving back.

Go for it!

The first 1200 was a total revelation. I can't remember being so impressed by a bike before. I've had one non abs. Also a 2010 gsa. I now have a 2014 gsa. There's about 67,000 km on it. I will not change it far any other CURRENT bike. Who knows what the future holds? Best bike ever. JJH

Mate get out and ride em, depends what your needs are but the LC GS or GSA are fabulous do it all rides, happy new bike choice

Is the LC a better bike than a hexhead; yes, but like the curate's egg in parts !

Is it worth an extra £3k; possibly maybe.

It is more about condition and shiney bit's than newest is best.

A decent set of headers/end can and properly set up will get a twin cam close to the power of an LC but with far better drive and smoothness.

You can then either waste the money or spend it on your bike.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The twincam Hexhead is one of the best. From 2011 build it doesn't have that bloody fuel strip. Good wind protection etc. The LC is a big step on in terms of performance, refinement and ergonomics. The quality of the finish less so. As far as wind protection go the screen is adjustable but the bubble is different and you will notice it if you wear a helmet with a peak when comparing the 2 bikes. Find one that has been looked after, then look at what extras it has. Recommended I would say front fender extender, mudsling, panniers and sat nav for both models. Rad guards, light guards and Gear Shift Assist are extras take it or leave it but something less you have fork out for if you want it. A bonus would be a hilltop remap, akro exhaust and or headers. You can be choosy as there is loads about.

I do miss my hexhead but the vibration through the bars I don't. The LC is for me the better bike but I spend the time to make sure it stays in good condition. The ergonomics on the LC is better and I feel better doing longer distances on it. For the pillion the LC seat is a little bit smaller and if you want to strap a roll bag on the back the hexhead has a bigger rear rack. I think that the fuel consumption is better on the hexhead if you turn up the wick. I did manage to drain the tank of a GSA LC in 180 miles :D but it does it so much better than the Hexhead.

3K is a lot of money and probably 2 long bike holidays on the continent to put it in context. But if you sit at the traffic lights on a Hexhead and a LC pulls up next to you will wish you got the LC :green gri

I've never owned either - but over the past few weeks I read everything I could as I had the same decision - air or liquid cooled as I was intent on getting one for better or for worse.

I pick up my 2015 LC next week!

The rational was mainly down to minor improvements and value of the bike. Spending money on an older bike to get it running like a newer one seemed a bit like throwing money away, as the older bike would still be worth the same? Investing the same money in a newer bike preserved some of that cash for the future in resale value?

Just my rational, but I end up going for the best I can afford/justify, because if I don't, I'll always wonder what if :rolleyes:

James

I was riding a 2007 hexhead when I rented a TC in 2012 from BMW Motohire in Spain for 10 days. Thought it was a big improvement, but not enough to warrant a change. Did the same last year and rented an LC and was blown away by the difference and how much they'd moved on.

Two weeks after returning I had sold the hexhead and agreed a deal on my LC.

It has a noisier engine than the earlier bikes, but that disappears when on the move and the intake and exhaust notes take over.

I think to be honest you should go where your heart is. I've ridden my daughter's partners three bikes LC, K1600, HP2 all good bikes and by the by Paul's newish LC I've checked the paint etc it's fine ( didn't look at the dreaded forks) But I'll stick with my old TCam the diffence is there between the LC and my TCam but it's price I personally couldn't afford one and for me there's nowt wrong with the old girl. In the seventies I traded up to a Ducati 900ss ( the PR model wish I kept it after seeing the prices for 1976 bikes now) but for my trips North to see dad's folks it was a very uncomfortable, but boy what a bike. So go for what you like, I wouldn't have not had the Duke it was right for me then although in some ways impractical but when your young!!!

The hexhead isnt air cooled. It's air and oil cooled (but known as oil cooled).

Air cooled GS's come from an earlier century. Comparing the LC to air cooled BMWs will almost certainly cause the half a dozen or so surviving veteren airhead riders to inhale/choke on their Sanatogen/Horlicks cocktail and possibly have some sort of anurisim and/or bladder malfunction

Well folks I appreciate the comments and made my decision - good or bad (and I'm not totally convinced as yet that I made the correct one. I have bought the TC air/oil version which, whilst I own it, the company have provided a life time warranty for all major parts provided either they or BMW do the servicing at the correct intervals. So far happy with the ride and the boss lady actually prefers the back to the previous Pans and TTSE so that's all to the good.

The one I have bought is a 2012 which genuinely looks like it has never been used - only 2784 miles on the clock!! It has virtually everything I need and what's missing (Cruise control and traction control) I am sure I can live without - the one thing that has come to my attention more than in did on test and is backed up by what Tanneman said is the vibration through the bars in particular at 75 mph plus - are there any solutions bearing in mind I don't want to cut of the thin handle bar grips as they're factory fitted and heated. Thanks for input so far folks

Back
Top Bottom