Stelvio....first thoughts.

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was hoping to get a yellow one, but after being told it could be another 8 weeks and could well have the radar thing, I went for the silver grey, which actually looks a lot better in the flesh.
Absolutely chucking it down, with very wet roads and new tyres, so I took it fairly steady.
Chucked my leg over the bikes lovely looking seat, bear in mind I have short chunky legs (29" inseam) I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get the full balls of my feet on the ground. I'm happy with that.
The seat felt very firm but was fairly comfortable and after my 58 mile ride home it still felt OK.
On startup the bike sounds very nice and clearly a Guzzi. Controls are the same as the V100 so I'm used to those.
Off we go, clutch felt fairly heavy but not enough to be a pain, ask me again when I've spent 20minutes in heavy traffic. Right from the off it felt totally different to the V100. The seating position is about perfect for me and the bike felt very comfortable and confidence inspiring even in the atrocious conditions.
IMHO the V100 engine (insurance companies are calling it the Stelvio 1100) is the best engine ever put in a bike, plenty of grunt, pulls very strongly from below 3k rpm and near perfect fuelling.
Suspension did feel a little harsh on the choppier roads but was absolutely fine on good tarmac. I always felt the V100 oversteered a little, maybe me not used to riding bikes with narrower handlebars, no such problem on the Stelvio, handling was very nice and I was soon pushing on a little quicker than I should have been in those conditions.
Gearchange is still not as nice as the V85 but a clear improvement on the V100 and you couldn't describe it as poor. There was one strange thing that I've never experienced on a bike before. When accelerating if you didn't allow the gear lever to go completely down after an upshift it didn't change up when next asked. I'm sure a minor adjustment of the lever will rectify this.
Heated grips could only be described as just adequate. The only reason I went for the Guzzi grips is that, the heated grips seem to have a softer spring than the standard throttle and make the bike easier to ride, imo.
Standard screen was pretty good and despite what one journo had said, there was a very distinct difference between the high and low positions. I'm not forever looking for the perfect screen to ride in a bubble of air, as long as there is no buffeting I'm good with the screen and this one was fine.
Overall, yes I'm a big Guzzi fan but I just loved riding this bike, it's easy to ride, very comfortable and confidence inspiring even in the foul weather conditions.
Off to Wales in a couple of weeks, so that will give me a better idea.

I was hoping to get a yellow one, but after being told it could be another 8 weeks and could well have the radar thing, I went for the silver grey, which actually looks a lot better in the flesh.
Absolutely chucking it down, with very wet roads and new tyres, so I took it fairly steady.
Chucked my leg over the bikes lovely looking seat, bear in mind I have short chunky legs (29" inseam) I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get the full balls of my feet on the ground. I'm happy with that.
The seat felt very firm but was fairly comfortable and after my 58 mile ride home it still felt OK.
On startup the bike sounds very nice and clearly a Guzzi. Controls are the same as the V100 so I'm used to those.
Off we go, clutch felt fairly heavy but not enough to be a pain, ask me again when I've spent 20minutes in heavy traffic. Right from the off it felt totally different to the V100. The seating position is about perfect for me and the bike felt very comfortable and confidence inspiring even in the atrocious conditions.
IMHO the V100 engine (insurance companies are calling it the Stelvio 1100) is the best engine ever put in a bike, plenty of grunt, pulls very strongly from below 3k rpm and near perfect fuelling.
Suspension did feel a little harsh on the choppier roads but was absolutely fine on good tarmac. I always felt the V100 oversteered a little, maybe me not used to riding bikes with narrower handlebars, no such problem on the Stelvio, handling was very nice and I was soon pushing on a little quicker than I should have been in those conditions.
Gearchange is still not as nice as the V85 but a clear improvement on the V100 and you couldn't describe it as poor. There was one strange thing that I've never experienced on a bike before. When accelerating if you didn't allow the gear lever to go completely down after an upshift it didn't change up when next asked. I'm sure a minor adjustment of the lever will rectify this.
Heated grips could only be described as just adequate. The only reason I went for the Guzzi grips is that, the heated grips seem to have a softer spring than the standard throttle and make the bike easier to ride, imo.
Standard screen was pretty good and despite what one journo had said, there was a very distinct difference between the high and low positions. I'm not forever looking for the perfect screen to ride in a bubble of air, as long as there is no buffeting I'm good with the screen and this one was fine.
Overall, yes I'm a big Guzzi fan but I just loved riding this bike, it's easy to ride, very comfortable and confidence inspiring even in the foul weather conditions.
Off to Wales in a couple of weeks, so that will give me a better idea.
Nice initial review, congratulations

I am just back from A&D and saw my first Stelvio (customer bike in the workshop) looks lovely this too was a Silver Grey and a very handsome bike, I didnt sit on it (being a customer bike) but had a good look and it has that lovely "premium" look that the Mandello has
A&D will get their demonstrator in a couple of weeks so the LDG will do a full review on it

Sounds like it’s the ideal adventure bike for short people.
Pretty much what I thought when I sat on it in Milan . It felt very cramped .

Sent from my N65

Sounds like it’s the ideal adventure bike for short people.
Pretty much what I thought when I sat on it in Milan . It felt very cramped .

Sent from my N65
Don't know how tall you are sir? I'm 6'1" and sat on one yesterday for the first time. I rode there on my V85TT. I too was surprised that the Stelvio seemed to make my legs ever so slightly more bent at the knee (than the V85). I'm guessing I will prefer a high-seat option, or maybe a peg lowering kit. Having said that it was still plenty comfy, but I would prefer a gnats more legroom... and maybe angle the bars a wee bit further forwards than the bike I sat on...

Once demo bikes become available later in the summer I will be trying one out, so wanted to like the old Stelvio NTV back in 2011 but was disappointed and bought a new r1200 gsa tc.
New Stelvio may replace my KTM 1190 and r1150gs ,we will see

Don't know how tall you are sir? I'm 6'1" and sat on one yesterday for the first time. I rode there on my V85TT. I too was surprised that the Stelvio seemed to make my legs ever so slightly more bent at the knee (than the V85). rwards than the bike I sat on...

I’m 6’1” with 33” inseam and found the Stelvio very cramped .

I’m 6’1” with 33” inseam and found the Stelvio very cramped .
We're the same size! Maybe I'll try it again before paying! I didn't notice it being much different to the Tiger 900....

That's a nice initial review,thanks for posting.I still need to see one of these in the flesh but like what I've read so far.

I just went out and compared the Stelvio to the V85. Both seats are stock however the rear bumper is off my V85 seat (which is shown with the orange line). I measured from where the sharp rise starts on the Stelvio seat, and for the V85 about where the bumper would start, if the bumper were on.

The Stelvio has 3/4" less distance from seat to peg but the pegs are about an inch farther forward.

IMG_1927.jpg

I am 5'-11" w 32" inseam and find the V85 seat more comfortable with the bumper off because it allows me to scoot back another 3/4" when I want to.
I have the tall seat on order for the Stelvio which should raise it 3/4", exactly that of the V85 stock seat.
I did not measure, but the seat to bars distance feels a bit closer on the Stelvio.

(Sorry my rule is in inches, I should have converted to mm here)

Seat to pegs vertically yes, 3/4". But Stelvio pegs are an inch more forward.

Seat to pegs vertically yes, 3/4". But Stelvio pegs are an inch more forward.

Seems strange they’ve taken this route . I blame the Italians who tend to be short arses .
I don’t want a very tall bike as my knees are fucked but I also don’t want to be cramped .

Sent from my N65

I feel the same however there are a lot of people with 30" and shorter inseams. And at least Guzzi offers a taller seat. Were I Guzzi I'd let dealers order the bikes with whatever height seat they choose and let customers pick the one they want at no charge.
Also keep in mind this is closely based on the V100 Mandello, which I found too cramped to ride for any distance at all. The Stelvio is opened up and taller.

I feel the same however there are a lot of people with 30" and shorter inseams. And at least Guzzi offers a taller seat. Were I Guzzi I'd let dealers order the bikes with whatever height seat they choose and let customers pick the one they want at no charge.
Also keep in mind this is closely based on the V100 Mandello, which I found too cramped to ride for any distance at all. The Stelvio is opened up and taller.

Good points .
Trouble is , once you fit a taller seat then you may also need a taller screen etc etc .

Sent from my N65

I managed about 150mls yesterday. Dry and about 7 degrees. I'd lifted the gear lever slightly before setting off and as I thought this eliminated the need to take my foot away from the lever after up-shifts. My boot was stopping the lever from coming down totally and not allowing me to select the next gear. Clutch action felt lighter than it did on Friday when I picked it up. This may have been due to my hands being very cold on Friday. I soon got used to the firmer feeling suspension although it still felt a little too firm on the rougher roads, roll on the S model with the semi active Ohlins. Not enough to spoil the experience though. Seat feels very firm but I was still comfortable after 80 miles continuous riding. It's without doubt the best handling Guzzi I have ever ridden and for me the best Guzzi overall I have ever ridden.
I found the bike very difficult to fault and had a huge grin on my face the whole time. I would say for me it's about perfect for the UK roads.
The front end soon gets very mucky and it will definately need a fender extender and radiator guard. I've not seen any out there yet.
One downside....It's a pain to clean!!!.

Keep it coming please wrinkleyolwlie
I'm wondering of anyone will release a footpeg kit that allows a bit of adjustment. Probably easier and cheaper than messing with the seat if the other ergo dynamics are good...
You could contact Pyramid Plastics as they're relatively close to you. I've known them offer free plastics to trhe person who brings their bike it to them for a measuring session ;)

Back
Top Bottom