Stelvio ordered

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Reservation details
Reservation Reference Number: #725

Stelvio (Giallo Savana)
GU3285270YCR02

I've never ordered a new motorcycle so blindly, not only have I not ridden one but I've not even seen one, or even a good review yet (I don't count the fluff video by Cycle World a review). It came down to a fairly base R1300GS or Stelvio and the dealer I use sells both.

The R1300 out shines the Stelvio in both technology and power but otherwise they seem pretty similar. Both have stuff I don't want but the BMW probably has more. As far as features or tech give me LED lighting, heated grips, cruise, ABS (as long as the rear can easily be turned off), nice low speed throttling, 200+ mile range, and that's all. Not interested in radar cruise, lane keeping, multiple riding modes, traction control (much less 10 levels of it), wheelie control, engine braking control, keyless (for God's sake just give me a metal key), electronic suspension, auto-lowering, etc. So even a Stelvio has a lot of stuff I'd prefer not be there, hopefully most of the intervention "features" can be disabled. I believe the only options I'll need are heated grips, centre stand, and maybe the tall comfort seat for a bit more knee room on longer rides. No interest in side load plastic panniers on a bike like this so I'll have to use throw over soft ones until the aftermarket brings out top load aluminium ones.

The V85TT probably puts 55-60hp to the ground and that's enough for me but there are occasions where I wouldn't mind having just a bit more available say 80hp. Speaking of the V85TT I'm absolutely keeping it. I don't ride the California 1400 much so it's going.

ETA supposedly December.

Nice.
It was interesting to see that the Stelvio was the only bike at EICMA to feature a male model sat astride it.
Hope that’s no indication of its target market !

4e590effee0aeb12a3f35857bf364119.jpg

Nice.
It was interesting to see that the Stelvio was the only bike at EICMA to feature a male model sat astride it.
Hope that’s no indication of its target market !
Just my luck.....

Thanks Leadfarmer and Oldrat!

Nice one Clifton. The only thing that I'm concerned about is, seat height. But,as long as I can get the balls of my feet down I'll be happy.
I'm also not too fussed about electronics, just hoping the bikes aren't delivered with radar cruise. I really don't want to have to pay for something I don't want. I'm not even a lover of the standard cruise control. As for extras. rad guards are a must, centre stand and heated grips. I don't particularly care for either colour scheme and may look at having it wrapped in something like the V85 GDO scheme, or at least have the matt paint lacquered. I had a KTM 1290 with a matt finish done. To me it looked much better.
No indication as yet of delivery dates for the UK.
Enjoy your new bike, and keep us posted. My dealer has 3 orders so far.

If the heated grips are the same as the Mandello, which is likely, they are shite! The heated seat is very good, I'd be happier if it were the other way round.
Anyway, be interesting to hear your thoughts on the bike Clifton. I'm sure you'll love it

Nice one Clifton. The only thing that I'm concerned about is, seat height. But,as long as I can get the balls of my feet down I'll be happy.
I'm also not too fussed about electronics, just hoping the bikes aren't delivered with radar cruise. I really don't want to have to pay for something I don't want. I'm not even a lover of the standard cruise control. As for extras. rad guards are a must, centre stand and heated grips. I don't particularly care for either colour scheme and may look at having it wrapped in something like the V85 GDO scheme, or at least have the matt paint lacquered. I had a KTM 1290 with a matt finish done. To me it looked much better.
No indication as yet of delivery dates for the UK.
Enjoy your new bike, and keep us posted. My dealer has 3 orders so far.

Don’t think you’ll have an issue. The bike ain’t big.

I don't think seat height will be a problem, certainly no more so than on a V85TT, plus they offer a low seat. I'm more concerned about peg to seat distance because the Mandello's I've sat on seemed a little tight, but they do offer a tall seat as well.

The only configuration that can be ordered (here at least) is the base model, no radar or electric suspension. I wouldn't be surprised if Guzzi includes both radar and electric suspension on the upcoming "Special" version. Choice of the two colours, unfortunately both matte finish. What is it with motorcycle manufactures and flat paint?

Heated grips on my V85TT have 3 settings and work just fine. I recall reading about heated grips (not sure if it was on a V100 or BMW?) that had 3 settings and didn't work very well. However if you opted for the heated seat as well, the controller had 5 settings for the grips and they worked much better. I need to find that discussion.

Worse come to worse we can have the coloured panels sprayed with gloss clear coat like this one. The black stripe and green paint are new but the gray is the original matte that perked right up when covered in clear gloss.

IMG_1346.jpg

The dealer sent me an Email saying they've been invoiced for my Stelvio so they should have it by mid January, and what options did I want them to add? I just told him to add heated grips and centre stand. I also enquired if he's interested in taking either (or both) of two motorcycles I have on trade so I'll see.......

Matte paint is the new black,

Makes lots of money, did the dealer mention that its near on impossible to do any small chip/scratch repairs to matte panels? 99% of the time its a full panel respray or replace

I have an acre of matte paint on my Goldwing so I'm familiar with the stuff. The only difference I notice in maintenance is with gloss paint I wash and occasionally wax, with matte I wash and don't wax.
I don't care for the look so as I mentioned I may look into having it sprayed with clear gloss.

One of the first things I'll do when mine arrives. Either have it wrapped in black with white stripes or have the panels lacquered.

I have a feeling, it's going to be a great bike. Although I have read, £16.900 for the fully equipped model. That would take some serious thought.

Well I'll certainly let you know how I feel about it but I doubt I'll be riding it much for a while. The coldest 2 months are coming and early March can be awful as well, but hopefully we'll get a few decent, dry days.

If pricing is similar to here a base model might be around £14.000 - £14.400. £2.500+ would seem a lot to add but I guess it depends on what is added. Do you have a breakdown of what additional comes on the fully equipped version?

I have a feeling, it's going to be a great bike. Although I have read, £16.900 for the fully equipped model. That would take some serious thought.
Still £8000 cheaper than a fully specced up r1300gs with luggage

I saw this translation recently: "The one without radar 16500, with radar 17500, with suitcase 19500...."

Back
Top Bottom