Tagine and Sand in Morocco

Drumacoon Lad.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last year I went for my first bike tour organised as an open invitation on the GSer forum and 20 bikes and 22 people headed off last July, through Germany, Austria , Croatia and generally around Eastern Europe, in 10 days. It was a great trip but at quite a pace, and a very large group. Because of the Croatia trip I got to meet GSEddie, also living in Hampshire, and we started to think about a tour for 2010. We wanted less riding in a day, a smaller group, and somewhere interesting. We joked initially about Morocco, but we’d seen the scary videos, with lots of serious off-road, big river crossings, and we concluded Morocco was for hard core riders, not for us, surely.... or could it be?

Then we started to do some research, reading Tim Cullis’s excellent Moroccan guide , http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89396 and reading Eddie’s adventure books Morocco Overland and The Adventure Motorcycling Handbook both by Chris Scott and pouring over the Rough Guide Moroccan map I got as a retirement present we began to work out if we could do a mainly road trip with the option of some gentle pistes. After a few planning sessions we began to feel it may be possible.

There are different options to get to Morocco but we did not want to do the long Autoroute blast through France therefore opted for the ferry to Spain and made bookings on the Portsmouth - Santander ferry. This would leave us just a day’s riding through Spain to get to the ferry to Morocco. We started to sketch out an inland route around Morocco, including mountain passes. The idea was to make our way down south in 3 or 4 days to the edge of the desert, spend a few days around there, including a stay at the Biker’s Home Hotel. Then, after exploring the south including some riding without panniers, we would head up to the north again, maybe visiting Marrakesh or Casablanca.

We had used the Garmin Zumo GPS successfully on the Croatia trip and decided it would be handy to have its help for navigation in Morocco. Morocco is not covered in the standard European Garmin mapping(why should it be) so we downloaded Olaf’s free Marokko Topo mapping (http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html) recommended in Tim Cullis’s guide. Olaf’s mapping proved very accurate but it does not allow routing to be done automatically by the Zumo between 2 locations but you can create routes by selecting a number of waypoints and making them into a route. Eddie then began to put together routes based on the outline tour route above. Our intention was to mainly stay in hotels as we were told they were cheap but we also wanted the option of camping for a few nights.
The following 3 images are from the GPS track log showing the Moroccan route taken:-

4858012980_a44a24fef0_b.jpg

4858013166_39fc6000a1.jpg

4858013398_9a82460eea.jpg

We then began to think of what equipment we would take. We both had 1200GSs so the bikes were sorted and many of the accessories had been well tested on the Croatia trip. One early decision was to add bike-to-bike radio communication this time and we geared up with Kenwoods through the Autocom. I pushed the boat out and invested in a TK3207 radio with an external aerial and we each used push-to-talk. We also agreed Camel Backs were essential on this trip to avoid dehydration. I was lucky to have advice and support from Edventure of this parish, who rode through Morocco on his single handed trip last year to Ghana. Ed told us not to take too much gear and then promptly offered the loan of his array of spares and his 911 diagnostic tool, all of which was very welcome. The key spares were FPC, Antenna ring, inner tubes and spokes. We already had various tyre repair kits and a Slime pump. The spokes were because Eddie and I had put GSA spoked wheels on our 1200GSs and had decided on TKC tyres for this trip. We convinced ourselves the spoked wheels were a better option but really we just liked the look of them on the bike. You may ask why we did not get 1200GS Adventures which already have spoked wheels but are also taller bikes. I can be classed as vertically challenged and Eddie is no giant, so the lower 1200GS suited us better. In my case I also had the factory fitted low suspension and a low seat.

We then had a few meetings at my place to test radios and agree which tools to take. The practical approach would be just to take one set of the right tools and share them out to reduce weight. However we all took our favourite tools, so were well tooled up, again ignoring Edventure’s sage words.

With a couple of months to go, a work colleague of Eddie’s joined the team. Chris had shown his commitment to the venture by buying a few things in advance, like a suitable bike. Chris did not have an adventure bike when he initially enquired about the trip but Eddie explained that he would need a 1200GS as it would be up to the trip and simplify the carrying of spares. With Eddie’s help Chris then bought a 2006 1200GS with low mileage and started to kit it out. This meant Chris had to get Zumo, Autocom, TKCs and Panniers. We all 3 had different pannier options, I had my trusty Zegas, with one new lid, and a big Givi topbox. Eddie had moved over to a GSA ally luggage and Chris had a set of Varios. OK, why the new Zega lid you ask! (If you want the ‘Why the new lid story’ then go to Appendix 1 below, or read it later).

Now back to the Moroccan preparations. With the Zega panniers and topbox I was determined to have just one further bag to sit on the rack behind the riders seat with the passenger seat removed. On the Croatia trip I had 3 bags at one point and this just looked stupid. This time I was using the BMW waterproof zip bag. Eddie was determined to get all his stuff, including the camping gear and tent into his panniers, and succeeded. Chris managed with a waterproof rucksack and his Givi topbox and the Vario panniers. So we were not too overloaded, at least not in volume but the panniers were heavy and the bikes did feel the weight.

Eddie had read up carefully on the documents required for Morocco. This included having the V5 for the bike, insurance, green card, health insurance, driving licence but specifically the 3 part customs form mentioned in Tim Cullis’s briefing. Following Tim’s advice we all linked into the Moroccan Customs website and filled in all the details in advance and printed down the completed forms. This was simple enough to do and easier to do at home than at a windy border crossing with a dodgy pen being hassled by Moroccan ‘helpers’. More on the border later. All these documents, including passport were copied. Again, learning from our last trip, we planned to have a copy of the documents, spare bike keys and a spare credit card carried by someone else in the tour in case anything was lost or stolen.

We also had thought it a good idea to book a couple of the hotels in advance, for the 1st and 2 nd nights in Morocco. This was not hard to do on the internet but with hindsight we would not bother again as hotels were easy to find in towns, and hotels you have found are easier to get to than hotels you have booked and prove hard to find, if this makes sense.

As we all have a computer background we took computers. Eddie and I had netbooks and Chris a full laptop. This also linked in with the video cameras we each had, so that downloading video would be possible each evening. I’ll look at the merits of having video in the lessons learned section near the end of the trip report. I had also treated myself to a new Lumix DMC-ZS3 digital camera for the trip and I’ll say now it was one of the most successful pieces of equipment. One other last minute purchase was a pair of BMW GS gloves which allow good airflow as well as giving some protection as my hands had suffered in the Croatia heat last year with my normal UK gloves. Of course the bikes were all serviced a few weeks prior to the trip. I took mine to Bahnstormers and Eddie and Chris took theirs to a Mr Steptoe, again of this parish.

So the day dawned in early May when we three converged on the Ferry terminal at Portsmouth. It had been +5C when I left home and was a chilly ride to the ferry. We were still getting used to the bikes being fully loaded and the manoeuvring on the ferry was tricky to get the bike in position for the strap down. For those interested the bikes were placed on the side stand and strapped down by the ferry staff. There were loads of bikes packed closely together but the staff were clearly proficient at securing them for the voyage. We headed for our cabins. Eddie and I were sharing and were directed to a cabin which was clearly for a single person. We went to the information desk to point out this silly mistake and were informed very clearly that there are no single cabins on this boat but if we pulled on the drawstring hanging from the ceiling the 2nd bunk bed would be revealed. Eddie and I slunk back to the cabin looking suitably sheepish! The trip takes just over 24 hours and the food and drink is reasonably priced. There is entertainment which had a sense of ‘Hello Campers’ about it. In our group there was more pleasure in laughing at the entertainment than with it. However I know we all secretly regret not taking part in the bingo session while in the middle of the bay of Biscay, hey ho!

Arriving in Santander at around 13:00 local time we headed for the autoroute following our GPS route. We were soon climbing and the temperature dropped, not to freezing but to low single figures and there was snow on the mountains close to the road, a bit of a shock to come across this on our Summer trip. We had decided to avoid the Madrid ring road and chose the westerly Valladolid, Salamanca, Seville route. This initial scenery was great and I even spotted a flock of Griffon Vultures circling overhead, with wings the size of front doors, and I made a mental note not to stop around here in case they were hungry. The motorway we were on was quite new and one feature of it was a lack of service stations. When you needed fuel you had to leave the motorway and head for the nearest town and the signs were not always too helpful. Our plan was to ride till tired and then find a cheap hotel and head off in the morning to get to Algeciras in time to get to Morocco by mid afternoon. As we got tired I searched the GPS for the nearest hotel and followed the route. It took us to a small town and after discovering the waypoint was about 700 meters out and showed the hotel on the wrong side of the road we pulled into a nice country hotel with locked garage parking, a restaurant and bar still open, and a triple room cost about 20 Euro’s each, result. Next morning, refreshed, we headed off via Seville to Algeciras and the ferry. As the road descended to the plain the temperature steadily rose and so did the spirits. The bikes were going well but Chris did feel that his front wheel was a little light and it made motorway progress a little uncomfortable.

Bikes waiting to board Algeciras to Cueta ferry.

4857390959_9fff035008_b.jpg

As we came in to Algeciras it was not clear where the port was. Eddie suggested on the radio it may be where we could see the large cranes on the skyline. I told him this was a rash conclusion as it may just be a crane manufacturer showing off his products to attract custom. Eddie agreed. At about this point Chris realised the standard of humour and banter he was going to have to listen to for the next 3 weeks. Despite my reservations we headed for the cranes and strangely found the ferry port. This was the first time we came across the ‘Helper’ culture where people would step out in front of you and direct you to this place to buy tickets, exchange money etc. We found what we think was an official ticket seller and got tickets to Ceuta for about 60Euro’s each. Later, we heard a story of an English GS rider who bought a ticket on the street in Algeciras a few days before us and the ticket proved to be worthless. The Ferry to Ceuta was a much better standard than I expected and had comfortable seating and a bar. We tucked in to a very welcome coffee and filled bread roll. The ‘duty free’ shop was tiny and disappointing.

With all the stories we had heard there was a level of anxiety as to what reception we would get from the Moroccan officials as we disembarked. My bike was the first off and I followed directions with my hand on the brake waiting for the police and customers official to stop me for a check. We continued slowly but nobody stopped us and suddenly we found we were out on the street without our papers being checked and getting customs permission to take the bikes into Morocco. The old Moroccan hands will be smiling at this point. We then discovered, when we tried to get back in to the port, that we were not in Morocco yet and in fact had not left Spain. Ceuta is in a small Spanish enclave, like Gibraltar for the UK, where Spain still owns the territory. After winding our way through the back streets of Ceuta we approached the border. We spoke to some French GS riders who had just come through and they advised us not to use a ‘helper’ just do the paperwork yourself and it will be OK. As we left the Spanish border and got close to the Moroccan border were pestered by helpers. They held out police forms which you need to complete to start the process. We then discovered a basic shortcoming of our planning, we could not find a pen to fill in the police form and Eddie and Chris borrowed one from the helper. I stubbornly searched my luggage for a pen and eventually found it and filled in the police form. I took it to the police booth, he checked it and stamped it and my passport. I asked what next and he pointed at the customs(Douane) booth. I went there with my stamped passport and my forms filled in and printed down from the Moroccan Customer website. The customs officer scanned in the form electronically, did not even look at my V5 and gave me back the 2 copies I required. I had completed the Moroccan paperwork in about 10 minutes and felt like cheering. However, there was a stronger urge to get away from this place and the helpers. One of the helpers told Chris that the prefilled out customs forms were no good and he had to fill out another by hand. This was clearly rubbish but no doubt increased the potential tip the helper could get. We made our way out and were checked again to ensure that we had the right papers and were away.

The road out was directly south and along the coast with a strong wind blowing off the sea, causing us to lean the bikes as we rode. We stayed on this road and avoided the motorway heading initially for Tetouan. Chris and I had managed to get Green card cover in UK, both being with Carole Nash and Aviva, but Eddie’s insurance did not offer a Green Card for Morocco. So we headed to Tetouan to get Eddie a Green card. We had a waypoint from the GSer site in Tetuan where it was believed he could get a green card. We wound our way through the streets of the busy town getting our first taste of riding a bike through North African traffic as a group. Of course the waypoint proved not to be entirely accurate, however it had led us to a business area which seemed to have insurance brokers. We parked up and Eddie and I headed off. After being redirected a few times we found a place which would do it but at a cost of nearly 100Euros for 1 month cover and to be paid on Moroccan Dms. We had to then find a Bureau de Change before the deal could be completed. This all took an hour or so but Eddie got a very official form in a nice little plastic folder and more importantly had cover and we were on our way again. We had both lost a few pounds in perspiration as we trudged around in the 30+C heat. Chris in the meantime was with the 3 bikes getting a lot of attention from the locals.

We had booked a hotel in Chefchaouen for the night. The road out of Tetouan was a challenge. It was narrow and twisty and was being repaired and too many people wanted to use it and most vehicles were bigger and harder than our GSs. We had at least one near miss, good training for the roads ahead. The journey certainly got our attention as we wound our way up to the Chefchaouen.

Chefchaouen is a hill town and very busy. We got the usual greeting from the helpers on arrival but learned enough from them that the hotel was near the high point of the town. We wound our way up to a square, which seemed the highest place we could get to with bikes, and were approached by another helper. We told him the hotel name and he got his mobile out and made a call. He then handed me the phone and said it was the hotel and I spoke to a young lad who said he would come and get us. When he arrived he explained the guy who called was the guardian of the square and would look after our bikes during the night. This was not the ‘secure parking’ we had been promised when we booked the hotel. I decided to walk to have a look at the hotel and see what it was like. I followed the young lad through narrow alleyways and streets to the hotel. It was a Riad(small hotel) and had a traditional circular reception area with galleried landings above with rooms off. He showed me the triple room I had reserved. Another surprise. The room was small and the bedding was a single bed and, behind it a double bed on a platform, with a small shower room to the side. I wondered what my colleagues would think of this arrangement. However it seemed clean and the guy was friendly so I presented it positively to the guys. I’ll save blushes by not saying what the sleeping arrangements were that night but want to deny those rumours about Eddie and I, we are just good friends.

The secure parking in the public square in Chefchaouen

4858010920_ee20453b4e_b.jpg

The young lad explained that the room cost, about 100 Euros, included a meal in a nearby restaurant, and when we have put our stuff away in the room we should come down to the reception area for tea. The tea was mint, with lots of little cakes and very welcome after a day with some stress and hassle, but also a successful day. The young lad then drew a map for us showing where to find the restaurant for our evening meal and also the medina. We headed off through the alleyways with little shops and stalls selling everything from DVDs to Henna. A wonderful mixture of smells and sounds. The restaurant was welcoming and used well by locals and we enjoyed our ‘free’ 3 course meal. We then walked down to the Medina and got a sample of the atmosphere and headed back to the hotel, via the square with the bikes. The Guardian was in the square and approached us to confirm he was keeping an eye and we felt reassured. It was hard to leave our Western/UK feeling of concern behind us and trust that this guy would do his job and the bikes would be there in the morning. Part of why you do these trips though is to encounter other cultures which may challenge your values... We would see what we would find in the morning!

We woke to light rain and it felt more like the Lake District than North Africa. A great Moroccan breakfast, eggs, pancakes, flat bread, pastries and bread, with Apricot jam and coffee, but no handle on the mug for Chris! Before leaving we went up to the hotel’s roof to see the view over the mountains and saw the pale sunshine highlighting the contours on the landscape. Without further delay we headed off to the bikes. All was well, nothing had been touched and the guardian’s replacement approached us and verified we were happy and he had his small tip. We headed off in the rain to Fez.

The wet road down from Chefchouen was steep in places and we needed to pay attention. While we had to focus on the road it was hard not to glance at the fields and sides of the road which had loads of people, either tending animals or gathering fodder or just standing around. Old women carrying heavy loads of green vegetation which was either fodder or bedding for the animals.

Then it dried out and warmed up, but the road deteriorated with many potholes and sometimes landslips, fun thought using a GS doing what it was made for...standing on the pegs.. negotiating rough roads carrying heavy luggage. The soil here was very crumbly and there were a number of landslips which took away parts of the road. The locals had an improvised warning system which was to put a rock at the point where the road had fallen away, making it slightly more visible to traffic. We benefited from these warning rocks on a number of occasions. The road continued to pass through areas of real subsistence farming with more people gathering bundles of green vegetation. After coming around one of the bends we came across a scary scene and the consequence of one of the landslips. This time the landslip was a big one where nearly half the width of the road had fallen away. The scene which faced us was of a crashed car being recovered from a deep ravine. The beaten up car was being towed by a tow-truck and another cable was attached to rear of the car and being pulled by about 20 locals. The mangled car looked to have been traveling in the same direction as us and hit the landslip and fallen 20 or 30 feet from the road. It seemed hard to believe anyone had survived in the car. Once the car was pulled up I mustered my French and asked a local what had happened. It seem there had been 2 young people in the car and to our amazement they were both OK and the guy said not even injured. The local guy I spoke to also seemed very surprised at that result. We got on our way as the locals cleared and quickly caught up on the tow truck and we got a better look at the car and it seemed amazing that the passengers had survived. We rode cautiously for a while but soon put the accident behind us and began riding at our normal brisk pace.

The landslip where the car had left the road

4858011126_e3d1cbcea8_b.jpg

As we got out of this landscape, which was in a national park, and got nearer Fez the road improved to smooth tarmac with sharp bends and never-ending curves. We seemed to forget that we were fully loaded and before long we were throwing the bikes into the corners and marvelling at the handling and the grip from the TKCs. I know I grounded the pegs on one corner. Earlier we had been riding slowly, standing on the pegs negotiating the rough road and sometimes the absence of a road, and glad of the knobbles on the TKCs. Now a couple of hours later we were using the GSs in a different way, as cornering machines exploring grip of tyres and all fully loaded. Sadly the whole trip could not be on this road and it had to end but the road did lead to Fez and we found the hotel without much hassle.

Then some fun started as we were told we were not booked in. I had reserved this hotel on the net with a London firm and even paid in advance. This resulted in a lot of phone calls to UK but the problem could not be sorted as it was a Saturday. We booked in again paying the local higher price but at least we did not have to move the bikes or our luggage. In fact we stayed 2 nights and by this time the earlier booking had been confirmed and we had only to pay for one night. One thing we learned from this hotel experience is that it is not cheap to call UK from a UK mobile in Morocco. I had put about £60 on my Pay As You Go from Vodafone before leaving and found that after the calls to London it had all run out. Fortunately the hotel provided free internet access and Eddie checked on the Vodafone website and we were shocked to learn that a 1 minute(or portion of a minute) call costs £1.65. A 2 minute and 1 sec call, therefore costs a fiver, so beware.

The hotel was in the new town of Fez and once settled in we went up to the main street. Eddie wanted to get a set of glasses to replace the ones he had and left behind along the way. We went in to an opticians and Eddie spent a full 10 Euros which was worth it as the guy also recommended a local restaurant and now Eddie was even able to read the menu. I had Tagine of course and all the food was good and cost about 8 Euros( I quote Euros because it is an easy conversion from Dm, the local currency. 1 Euro = 10Dm). We ended the evening with a stroll along the road. Eddie and I returned to the hotel each sporting our new leather hats, to Chris’s embarrassment, which cost all of 5 Euros each. I wanted to get a fez in Fez but was not sure it would survive 2 weeks in a pannier around Morocco. Wish I’d just got it now!

Fez.
Chris had noticed that his green card was written out for his Honda CBR and not the GS and was concerned that he may not have proper cover so he decided not to ride until this could be clarified and as it was the weekend it meant we could not continue on our journey south. Eddie and I decided we’d do a day’s ride with the luxury of having the panniers off. In the original planning of the trip we had considered including a National Park to the west of Fez. This delay in our journey then gave us the opportunity to take in the National Park. Getting out of Fez was easy using Eddie’s route and we cut through the traffic with ease without the panniers. The road was good and had some nice corners as we climbed. We made good progress and eventually came to a large lake created by a dam. The lake had wonderful views. It seemed pretty full and we were surprised to see palm trees partly submerged. One of the palm trees had lost it’s top and was inhabited by a family of Storks... No excuse for these chicks not being well fed with food so close! In fact there were lots of fishermen and their drying fish were displayed on sale at the side of the road.

We carried on past the lake and came to the turnoff right near Sidi-Abdallah-des-Rhiata for the national park circuit to loop south and back north again to Taza on the main N6 road. This road in the park was not a ‘walk-in-the-park’. It was narrow, had a rough surface, and describing it as twisty is selling it short. The corners were amazing, tight and frequent. As Eddie was snapping at my heels, I suggested he take the lead. I think the fact he had the panniers off and the bike was lighter made him forget he was on a 1200GS with TKCs and he thought he was on a Supermoto. He chucked the bike into the corners, with his leg down, and was clearly revelling in it. I did not hang about either and tried to hang on to his tail. The corners were so frequent that we could not find time to comment in the radio, we had our hands full, braking, accelerating, cornering and generally using all our strength to keep these big bikes on this narrow piece of tarmac. The penalties of veering off the road were severe with a rock face on one side and a spectacular view on the other. There was hardly any traffic, just the occasional car to keep us honest. We did not admire the view much and had to stop after 30 mins or so for a breather, and to let the bikes cool down.

The viewpoint in the National Park with the snow capped Middle Atlas in the distance.

4857391433_73c0c64e58_b.jpg

The view was amazing with the local terrain quite green and wooded. In the distance the Middle Atlas had snow on the peaks. We saw a sheep/goat herder about half a mile away and it was no time till he and his flock were with us on the viewpoint and Eddie handed over the obligatory cigarette as he admired the bikes. Anyway, enough of this relaxing and off we headed along Eddie’s favourite road. The road continued to charm and surprise us as we progressed briskly around the circuit. There was the odd gasp on the radio as a particular bend had an unusual twist but little intelligible was said until it started to straighten out.

This route gave us one of the most unusual encounters with nature on the trip. While I was following Eddie’s bike he ran over something in the road and I was shocked to see it was a snake, about 2 ½ feet long. We didn’t stop as we were confident it would have been recorded on the video cameras we each had. However it is a well known fact that when something special happens somehow the camera does not work. This was true of the snake encounter where my camera’s card was full and Eddie’s recording was corrupt. The snake was spared been photographed in that moment when it saw a 1200GS bearing down on it ridden by a scary guy, sitting on the skin of a dead sheep(Eddie has a sheepskin cover on his seat). If anyone finds a snake in the National Park near Taza with the pattern of 2 TKC tyres on it, please offer it our apologies and make sure it knows it was Eddie what done it!

The road back from Taza was smooth and relaxing after our mountain adventures. We stopped a couple of times for a picture of a stork nest but continued on to the lake again. I wanted some pictures of the palm trees in the lake and while I was away from the bikes Eddie got to know the locals. It started in the usual way with Eddie been cajoled out of a fag but this got more interesting with the guy trying to get Eddie to exchange more fags for his recently caught fish. I’m not sure why but Eddie was not up for the deal.

On the outskirts of Fez we had our first and only brush with the police. There was a general roadblock and all vehicles were being checked. We were pulled to the side and Eddie was questioned first. The guy was quite abrupt and only spoke French and in the end was shouting at Eddie. He then called a guy in a suit to assist. The guy in a suit seemed more calm and I waved him over to me. I explained in Irish Leaving Certificate French that we were tourists staying in a hotel in Fez. He checked our papers and in the end waved us on. The lesson was to always have your passport handy while on the bike and be sure you know where you are or have stayed as this seemed to be what they were looking for. Looking back it felt more like a security check than a traffic stop but we were glad to get away. After that we mostly had welcoming waves from the police and were never stopped again. There was one time further south when a policeman seemed to raise his hand to stop us but even this turned into a wave, to my relief.

Palm trees and storks in the reservoir.

4857391525_88231d0348_b.jpg

On our last evening in Fez we went down to the Medina by Taxi. The narrow streets were packed with an array of sounds and smells. The sellers did try to entice us to buy their wares but we were in a no shopping mood and walked on. When we came out of the other end of the medina we decided to take a taxi back to the hotel. The first problem with this plan was that there were no taxis in this quiet area of Fez. The second difficulty was that we realised none of us knew the name of the hotel or street. While we looked for a taxi we were offered a ride in a 3 wheel van, where the front end was a 150cc Hounday motorcycle, and the seating was on a bench covered with a carpet in the back. The issue was how could we describe our unnamed hotel.

We asked the driver if he knew the McDonalds in the new town, next to the big fountain, which was near the hotel. He said he did and we got in having agreed, we believed, to a 1.5Euro(15Dm) fare. The ride in the back was an experience. The road up to the hotel was a climb and this little 150 engine was struggling with the 3 of us in the back. There was a cheer from all of us when he managed to catch a higher gear but he generally had to drop down a gear again pretty soon. We got there and it was the right fountain, but the fare had now become 5 Euro(50Dm) but probably worth the experience. This fountain was on the middle of a roundabout and a bit special. As we arrived music was playing all around the roundabout and we then noticed that the fountain was in synchronised to the music and put on quite a show.

Our 3 wheeled taxi and driver in Fez.

4857391775_158a6251ac_b.jpg

Fez to Midelt.
After some early morning phone calls back to UK Chris found out that although his green card had his other bike details, it had been issued for both bikes and he was covered. He got the insurance company to send him an email to confirm this and he felt he was OK to continue the journey. We were on our way south again. We had fun getting the panniers down from the room to go back on the bike. The hotel kindly offered us a trolley which we loaded up. We came down in the lift and realised there were 3 big steps up to the reception level, great. The boxes had to be manhandled again and we were reminded how heavy they really were. Once we had completed this exercise and built up a good sweat, we saw someone getting out of another lift which came down directly into the reception area, cest la vie!

After our day out without them the bikes felt heavy again loaded up with the panniers. However, we got out of Fez easily, down the N8 and it was good to be heading south again on Eddie’s route. It was pleasant road and we went through agricultural land. Later we passed through a forest and we joked that it did not seem so different to the New Forest back home but the occasional stork flying overhead reminded us we were not actually in Hampshire. We stopped for coffee at a new town, Ifrane. It was a weird place where all the buildings were newly built and it could have been in middle America. In fact it is a center for skiing and a university town but still a bit strange. On our way out of the town, which is badly signposted, we passed a royal palace, presumably the Winter Palace. At around this time Eddie’s Route indicated we should turn left. We looked for a road and all we could see was a lane heading off up a hill. We decided to explore it and see how the bikes felt. It was covered in loose gravel and deeply rutted with the winter rains. We got to the top of the hill and had a council of war. The bikes had felt very unstable on this surface and as we were fully loaded, I voted for a return to the tarmac, which is what we did. Maybe I was beginning to realise I am not an off-road god with a fully loaded GS. We continued past wonderful scenery and in fact saw some proper skiing centres in the mountains. Skiing in Morocco, what ever next! Anyway, as we got closer to Midelt we past groups of Nomad tents and lots of sheep and goats always tended by someone.

Local transport.

4858011780_b53e449715_b.jpg

Midelt would not get many votes were to mistakenly enter the Moroccan Prettiest Towns Competition. We had read that it did not offer much but is in a useful place as a staging post heading south. We headed into town looking for a hotel which was on the Garmin GPS list and also recommended in our Lonely Planet Guide as ‘having an abundance of hot water’. Just the job! We found it and were greeted by the proprietor. I went to look at the rooms. They seemed OK, if a bit basic. I went down and joined the others and the proprietor had been joined by a couple of young lads. I asked the price, 6 Euro per Person and 2 to garage the bikes. With the Lonely Planet recommendation we could not go wrong and went for it and asked where the garage was. Before Eddie realised it, one of the young Berbers jumped on the back of his bike and pointed the way. The garage was secure and fine if a bit dusty. It was tempting to write our names on the car which seemed to have been in there for years but we resisted. The 6 Euro’s each covered 2 rooms so Chris could be on his own. We returned down to the entrance. Calling it a ‘Reception’ or ‘Lobby’ is just not appropriate here. We asked for a recommendation of a restaurant and one of the Berber lads offered to show us after giving us a brief history of the tribes of Morocco, particularly the Berber. We walked for miles it seemed to this restaurant he knew. We were uncomfortable with the Berber sitting to the side and not eating and we asked him to join us. We ordered local food, and I joked that it would have been nice to have had a beer after a hot day in the saddle in the strict Muslim town. The Berber said it may be possible and someone was sent out to a shop. I was then supplied with a bottle of beer wrapped in a serviette with only the neck protruding. It was obviously a bottle of beer wrapped up, but this seemed to satisfy local sensitivities and I got my beer.

After the meal the Berber said he would like to show us his shop and give us some tea. We were led around some back streets and into a tiny shop. Tea was ordered and one of the Berber lads we saw at the hotel returned, this time in full Berber gear, including headdress. While we drank our tea he asked if we would mind if he showed us some of the carpets made by the Berber in the local hills. He explained in great detail the different symbols used in the design, one sign to say it was made by a married lady, one for a single girl, etc. He then rolled out a few carpets and we explained we were on motorbikes and therefore not in the market for a carpet. They looked undaunted, this was a worrying sign. He then taught us the Berber word for ‘not interested’(now forgotten) and the word for ‘possibly’, and we had to say this to him in Berber when each Carpet was rolled out. Eddie and I grudgingly complied and Chris sat on his hands. Unfortunately Eddie and I said ‘possibly’ to a couple of small carpets. The net was tightening. The salesman was standing between us and the door. We were hooked. Once the rest of the carpets were dismissed and removed the remaining carpets were displayed prominently on the floor. We were asked then to choose which we preferred out of the 3 remaining carpets. Eddie and I chose our favourites but at this stage no money had been mentioned. He then asked what we wanted to pay. I gave Eddie a look to say, “looks like we may have to buy something, shall I start the dealing”, Eddie’s silent response suggested agreement. I made a very low offer. The Berber explained the plight of the hill Berber and the time it takes to weave each carpet. I then said there was little point in dealing as we had no room which was the truth! They dismissed that with a wave and explained they would wrap them up really small. I was asked to improve my offer….. it continued in this way until Eddie and I left the shop, our wallets lighter and a rolled up carpet under our arms wrapped up in a black plastic bag. Chris had totally resisted this intensive marketing campaign and even the Berber jewelery the pressed on him, assuming he was not a carpet man.

Midelt to Merzouga
There was no breakfast included in the 6 Euro room rate so we headed off early. There was also no ‘Lashings of Hot Water’. Lonely Planet please take note. In fact there was hardly any water at all, and the beds were lumpy. The bikes were safe and no more dusty than when we arrived. We left Midelt, initially heading in different directions till we all read the GPS correctly. Our plan that day was to reach Merzouga on the edge of the Sahara to see the big sand dunes of Erg Chebbi.

Midelt was up quite high and the route out took us through the mountains. The scenery was spectacular and the road had sweeping bends initially and allowed us to look around. There were lots of sheep in the hills and, of course, a Berber tending them. We saw basic tented encampments and one family moving their tents, with the help of 12 donkeys. The road then descended and got a bit more twisty and we started to go through a gorge with a river at the bottom and vegetation and palm trees along the side of the river. This is referred to as an Oasis and was soon the only green vegetation around. It was not my idea of an oasis, as a small collection of palm trees in a desert but it was oasis Moroccan style in a long strip. We came across a few of these later on the trip. The temperature rose as we descended from the mountains and our Camelbacks got a fair bit of use. We occasionally came across Animals near or on the road and the sheep and goats normally ran away when they heard the sound of the bikes. This was not the case with one cow who we saw on the road some distance ahead. We slowed down to give her a chance to walk off the road, but she remained in the middle of the road looking at us. This was one of the times I was sorry to be leading. Eventually I stopped about 5 yards from the cow. She still did not move and occupied the centre of the road. I was brought up on a farm and used to cattle but also know that a cow with horns can be as dangerous a bull. She had horns, big ones. We stared at each other for about a minute, maybe longer, before she decided that she would not charge this strange machine and would amble to the side, having established who was boss in this piece of road.

We passed through El Rachidia and continued on down by the side of the river and the oasis. It was an absorbing ride. As we rode into Erfoud it reminded me of a scene from the old westerns I used to watch as a child where the dusty cowboys ride into a sleepy town and everyone looks around to see what the wind has blown in. This is how it felt as we rode into Efroud that afternoon. We stopped for coffee and coke and a for some more drinking water, it was about 35C.

I had looped bungies around the top loops of my Zega panniers and became the water transporter for the team. In fact the bike felt a bit light without the usual 2 litre bottle on each pannier. As I normally led I think this was a ploy to slow me down. In Erfoud we had a decision to make on the route to Merzouga. There was the normal tarmac road or the piste, a rough road of questionable quality. After the refreshment of the drinks we went for the piste to see what it was like, but to return if it proved difficult. Initially it seemed OK with just a bit of gravel then we hit the serrations left by the 4WD units. These serrations shook the bikes and us but we continued. It all changed though after about 5 Km when I heard a call on the radio from Eddie, who was now leading, that he had hit sand. I saw him just get through and then saw Chris also struggling. I also followed but half way through the sand I found myself and the bike on the ground. My foot had been caught under the right Pannier and was a bit painful but I got it out and seemed to have no broken bones. My first thought was we had to have a photo of the bike in the sand and got my camera out before Chris and Eddie could return. However, before I could take the photo a Twareg appeared beside me on his little put-put. He shook hands, offered to help me up with the bike and be our guide. We asked if there was much sand on the rest of the piste. He said yes there was some but hard to say where because it moved with the wind. The Twareg helped us right the bike, which was undamaged, and advised us on the best way of getting out of the sand. He made me get back on and apply the power while slipping the clutch, it worked, even if there was a strong smell of overworked clutch.

Did some say there was sand on this piste?

4858011904_3b453ddfa1_b.jpg

We then asked how much of the piste there was between here and Merzouga and he said about 20 Km. We looked at each other and decided it may be too far for today as we were tired and fully loaded and to return to the road. This decision suited me as I had just fallen but I was happy to return to the road on my own and meet the other 2 in Merzouga if they wanted to continue the piste. Chris did not have crash bars and Eddie described his escape from the sand which was by gunning the engine and shooting forward and leaping over a ledge which he did not see and just managed to keep the bike upright. It was therefore generally agreed we should head for the tarmac and we did so without further incident, but we were not sorry we had tried out the piste.

The 3 bikes parked up safely outside the hotel in Merzouga.

4857392277_0d979344e8_b.jpg

The dunes of Erg Chebbi had an orange tint as we passed on route to Merzouga and looked mysterious and spectacular. We approached Merzouga and it did not look much. The buildings were all a sand/mud colour and where you looked closely at them there were made of, or faced with, dried mud, even those recently built. This had the effect of making the building and town blend into the desert landscape. As we arrived in Merzouga we were assaulted by the usual ‘helpers’ offering hotels and restaurants. We rode on past them and began looking at the Lonely Planet guide for hotel recommendations. However, we did not leave all the helpers behind and the most enterprising one followed us on his Puch Maxi and said he knew a good hotel and cheap. We(I) was sceptical but were tired and we followed him. I was more concerned when he left the makeshift road and headed off across the desert. The last thing I needed was another desert trip but we followed standing on the foot pegs to negotiate the terrain. After about ½ mile of this trek we entered a mud-walled compound and there was a respectable looking hotel and somewhere shady to park the bikes. The hotel was in the style of a French Foreign Legion Fort like many other modern Moroccan hotels. The Puch rider explained that he had led us in this way because of the sand. We looked where he was pointing and could see that the main entrance had been blocked by a meter of sand which had blown in from the dunes. We hoped we did not get a sandstorm and get blocked in. We admired the layer of dust the 1200s had gathered as we parked them up. Mine may have had a bit more sand than the other 2 but then I had been a bit more intimate with it.

We went in and confirmed the price of 20 Euro each for the night to include evening meal and breakfast, use of the pool and free WiFi(pronounced weefee by the locals). Better than sleeping in a tent after the day we had and pretty good value. There was also a bar and the staff were very friendly! On opening my bag in the room I noticed a slight odour and decided some clothes washing was due. The great thing here was that clothes were dry in a couple of hours and ready to wear in a couple of hours. As this was the day of accidents, Chris had an encounter with a large desert rose, placed near the entrance of the hotel. He bashed his shin on it and the sharp stones cut his leg. So in a way the desert had got 2 of us that day.

This may be the time to mention another good bit of planning Eddie had done. He had suggested we prepared before we left UK a number of ‘Fiche D’Etat Civil’ forms which each hotel require you to fill out on arrival. Having these ready to hand to the hotel, saved us from filling in a form each time we checked in and allowed us to get to the hotel shower all the quicker. The forms include details of your passport, when you arrived in Morocco, bike details etc. It certainly worth preparing these forms in advance before you travel and were very useful to us that day.

Having settled into the hotel we lounged about, had a few beers, did some washing and in this heat it was dry in an hour or so and had a tagine of course for dinner.

Footprints in the desert sand.

4858012706_d6172e0037_b.jpg

Next morning after breakfast we walked over to the dunes and marvelled at the shapes and colours and took some photos. On the way back we were approached by a kid who had some fossils and jewellery to sell. Eddie and I wanted some as souvenirs and the bartering started. This was a bit different as the kid was about 10 and the bartering took place by writing the prices in the sand. He wrote an initial price with his finger, let’s say 400Dm, I scrubbed it out and wrote 50Dm, he then scrubbed out my 50 and his 400 again and wrote 350. I then scrubbed out his 350 and, etc. This continued until we agreed a price of around 180, again written in sand. This little exchange, conducted in the sand, was one of the most memorable experience for the whole trip.

To be continued......

The next few days of the trip....

Thanks to all who have viewed the post and to buttsoirl for his comments. I've added a little bit more and also Appendix 1. I've been travelling so has been hard to get the writing done. Cheers Jim

Merzouga to Zagora
Our destination today was Zagora and as we left Merzouga the dunes of Erg Chebbi had a yellow colour and seemed to blend into the background as we left them behind. In the planning we had considered doing this part of the journey on pistes and very close to the border. However after the experience yesterday and reading that the southern piste had river crossings and fesh fesh sand, we decided that the road was the way to go. This was a generally straight road but with wonderful mountain scenery on both sides. The mountain crags were in weird weathered shapes which seemed to show a different profile as we rode along, seeing them from a different angle. We stopped a number of times to take photos. We passed through a few market towns and most of the people were coming to market on donkeys or on donkeys and cart, not many of them in cars. This seemed quite a poor part of the country.

The road and the scenery had a feel of what I imagined it may be like to ride through a desert in the USA. It reminded me of scenes from Easy Rider. We were not riding fast, between 50 and 60 PMH, and sometimes I had my throttle lock on for miles. Eddie and I were taking pictures with our still cameras as we rode along and this made Chris nervous that we may have an accident and he would drop back to be able to stop before hitting the carnage.

On the move.

4858012228_99c1056bda_b.jpg

It was hot and we stopped at a little café miles from anywhere. The proprietor was delighted to see us and we had the usual order of coffee and coke. We needed the conveniences and the WC was located at the back some distance from the café and was the most basic we had seen in Morocco, right Eddie? It was here that we saw our one and only goat in a tree. We knew that in some parts of morocco goats do climb a particular tree and we were hoping to see them. However this goat’s climbing days were over as it was a skin sewed up and filled with water. The proprietor explained it was how the locals carried water when they tended the sheep and goats in the desert. We got ready to leave but not before we filled in the visitors book produced by the proprietor with great ceremony.

A future Starbucks?

4869193652_5a236abcac_b.jpg

So off we went into the heat. This was only mid May so we could not imagine what it would be like in July/August. The scenery continued to be stunning with the weathered cliffs in the distance and trees dotted around either side of the road. These trees looked to my eye like the ones that the goats climb but despite all my searching I saw no goats in them. I’m sure they were there and just hidden and was impressed how clever they were at camouflage. The steady pace continued. I had reset my bike computer as we left Merzouga and we were averaging nearly 75MPG as we cruised along.

We stopped in one of the towns, N’kob, for lunch. We were royally welcomed at a restaurant in the mains street and were treated to a banquet with one course following the other; Moroccan salad, harissa, olives, bread as well as the skewers of kebab. The resident cat took a liking to Chris’s gear and curled up in his jacket apparently for the afternoon. We disturbed the cat and struggled back on to the bikes and continued along the straight road in the afternoon heat. Eventually the road ran out as we came across some serious road-works and had to ride along about 15 – 20 Km of unpaved road, bouncing around and slipping over the gravel. We returned to tarmac just before joining the main N9 road to Zagora. The road started with some nice bends to play with but then we entered towns and speed limits and trudged wearily on towards Zagora.

We stopped short of Zagora to pick out a hotel from the guide book. We picked out a few names but eventually decided to follow the GPS route to hotels and fell on an expensive looking hotel and Eddie just drove in. There was another 1200GS here which was a good sign. After a bit of negotiating we got the price down to 40 Euro(400Dm) each and Chris had a room of his own. This was our best hotel yet. They also offered tea at reception which we had before we went to our rooms. The rooms were huge and well kitted out. I got my kettle going and we had some black tea and coffee.

I may not have mentioned my kettle already and I hesitate now but I took a small electric kettle with me. The other two had a good laugh at first but in time realised it was a useful thing to have with us for a brew up in the hotel room.

We met up with a French GS rider, who’s bike was in the car park, and he was doing a similar trip but on his own and with just a map. We compared notes and swapped stories. I told him about my fall in the sand and he said he had a similar experience the day before. We then discussed the fact that our 2008 bikes have ASC(Traction Control) and we had not switched it off before coming to the sand. His feeling was the same as mine that when we opened the throttle to pull out of the sand there was little response, hence contributing to our falling over. The other contributor to my fall of course, was my lack of skill. However it seemed that the ASC sensed the 2 wheels going at different speeds, believing it was the back wheel slipping on tarmac, reduced power to the engine. I decided that from then on I would switch off the ASC anytime I left the tarmac. We had dinner with our new Gallic compatriot and to our delight(well Chris and I) he treated us to a bottle of wine. This did not excuse the French nation for Ireland’s sad omission from the World Cup, but it was a start.

Zagora to Quarzazate(BikersHome)
After nice breakfast and a farewell to our French friend we headed off north. The route was short today as we were heading to the ‘BikersHome’ hotel in Quarzazate and it was just a mornings ride. We kept up the lazy pace as we made our way through the towns and speed limits with the palm trees and river to the side. Eddie and I have been looking at the Berber Headdress scarves and spotted some for sale at the side of the road and left after the usual barter session with a strong blue scarf each, Chris just shook his head.

We carried on slowly, sometimes taking pictures as we rode, and meandering through the towns. In the end Chris decided he would head off and meet us in the Biker’s Home. Eddie and I had a coffee in a little town. As we left the town the road climbed into the mountains and became more interesting with tight twisty sections. This looked like fun and we were soon applying ourselves to the task of getting the bikes around these corners. This twisty road had an extra dimension as we climbed because the wind from the side became stronger. This mountain road had the usual, rocks on one side and a steep fall on the other. Leaning the bike over to take a corner at speed got the adrenalin going. However, the adrenalin level was raised again when the wind hit the bike just short of a corner and prevented it leaning. I can certainly say I have never ridden at speed in such windy conditions, great fun. We stopped at a viewpoint to take some pictures. It was only while stopped we appreciated the full strength of the wind. I put the side-stand down while still sitting on the bike, leaning into the wind. The fully loaded 1200GS and I were being blown over. I had to lean strongly into the wind, to take a few photos one handed, while holding on to the bike. We then got out of there as quick as possible before we were blown away to face more windy corners as we continued to Quarzazate.

The road winding around the mountains towards Quarzazate.

4858012366_383b9d4897_b.jpg

We found the BikersHome easily, on the right as we came into Quarzazate, using the GSer waypoint. Chris had arrived and Peter came out to greet us and help us into his well equipped garage. We said we would stay a couple of nights and the cost of full board was 30 Euro 300 Dm per night/person. The rooms were fine and the fridge was stocked with beer and operated an honesty box. Once we got sorted out we went up to the roof which had shade and also a view over Quarzazate and the surrounding area. Peter came up to join us and discuss our trip. He also showed us his wonderful collection of fossils and stones gathered from the desert on his many trips.

Peter explained that he runs off road bike trips in to the desert. He either supplied GMS routes with marked locations to camp or he will also lead some of the trips with his Moroccan wife Zineb coming along in a 4x4 to provide backup and to cook for the group. We then made our one mistake of the stay at Biker’s Home, by deciding to go into town for our evening meal. The meal in town was OK but it meant we missed out on one night of Zineb’s cooking of which more later.

The town had a small market and we had a short walk around. Eddie was after glasses again, is this a fetish I wonder? We hunted down a pair of shades, as his current pair were hurting while being used with a helmet. We found a ‘designer’ pair in the market which made him look like an extra from Easy Rider. I got a nice piece of Berber jewellery and Chris resisted the enthusiastic offers he had for his shoes and trousers. I think he was concerned at how he may have looked on the way back to the hotel without them!

We had fun getting a taxi back to the hotel. In Quarzazate there are 2 kinds of taxi’s, large and small. It seems that only the large ones are allowed to go over the bridge to the hotel from the centre of town. As we did not know this we stopped a number of small taxis but they refused to take us to the hotel. Eventually we found the rank for the large taxis and we were taken home in the most dilapidated Mercedes we have ever seen. There were no panels on the inside of the doors and the back seat was like the seat from an old sofa but we got back without further drama. To be continued....

APPENDIX 1.

WHY THE NEW LID?
Well Touratech kit is pretty tough but not indestructible. What happened was that after last year’s tour I did not return to the UK with the rest of the team but stayed on in Germany to work for a week. During the tour there had been some discussions about what top speed could be achieved on a 1200 GS. So one evening the week after the tour I emptied my panniers, and headed off to see some German friends. They lived out of town a bit and there was a stretch of unlimited Autobahn en route. I decided to have a go and see what my 1200 could do with panniers fitted but empty.

On the autobahn the bike felt good and I kept to the 100km limit and then accelerated through the 130Km limit downhill towards the unlimited section in the outside lane, overtaking a couple of large German saloons. At the bottom of the hill the unlimited section began and I opened up the throttle. At about this time I was conscious of a noise to my right and behind me on the bike. I saw a flash of silver and looked in my mirror and was horrified to see the lid of my large pannier flying off. This was pretty serious as I was doing nearly 100MPH in the outside lane and the cars were close behind. As I watched time seemed to standstill as the lid seemed to fly above head height. The fear was it would hit a car windscreen, and who knows what would ensue, and the thought of a horrible autobahn crash flashed before my eyes. To my great relief the lid landed on the motorway just in front of the following Mercedes and he ran over it, as did a number of other cars.

I considered whet to do and one option was just to keep accelerating, but pulled over as soon as I’d recovered from the shock, and parked on the hard shoulder. The cars carried on by. Almost immediately a German motorcyclist, not the police, stopped and asked if I was OK, and if he could help. I showed him the pannier with the missing lid and he smiled and rode off. I had worked out that the lid had come off because I had not locked it. This had not been an issue on the recent trip because the panniers were full and the pressure on the lid had kept the latch tight and prevented from opening, this was not so with an empty pannier. I decided then I would always lock them in future.

But on the side of the autobahn I again needed to decide what to do. I had been very lucky, I had narrowly missed being the cause of a major autobahn crash, if the lid had hit a windscreen or if a driver had panicked. I should count my lucky stars and ride off. But we do not always do the sensible thing, do we.

So, I started to walk back along the hard shoulder towards the point, 500 meters back, where the lid had come off. The traffic was still pouring past, but then I say the lid, just on the edge of the central reservation, even from this distance looked a bit battered. This was another decision point where I could just return to the bike and ride away, relatively unscathed. On the other hand I could play big boy’s chicken, and attempt to retrieve the lid, from the central reservation, on an autobahn, at the point when it becomes unlimited, as dusk approaches. Going back to the bike was the right thing to do,...... but.... I took my chances and ran across the road. I got the lid, so far so good. Then the return journey. This is when I realised the disadvantage of the corner, which made it hard for me to see the cars approaching. Anyway, I made it back to the hard shoulder and back to the bike with the altered lid.

I arrived at my friends and told them the story, they know me quite well, but were still shocked. The guy however explained he had a workshop, vice, tools etc and was determined to mend the lid. He did a great job and got the shape back enough to allow the lid to be clipped to the pannier again. It was not watertight but it fitted and with some duct tape it stayed in place and kept everything dry for the return journey to England a few days later. Toutatech were happy to supply me a replacement which I had for the Moroccan trip for a mere £85. So lesson is, lock your Zega panniers!

4868578177_04a0682a3a_b.jpg

Bikershome and a morning off the tarmac

We found the Bikershome easily, on the right as we came into Quarzazate, using the GSer waypoint. Chris had arrived and Peter came out to greet us and help us into his well-equipped garage. We said we would stay a couple of nights and the cost of full board was 30 Euro 300 Dm per night/person. The rooms were fine and the fridge was stocked with beer and operated with an honesty box. Once we got sorted out we went up to the roof which had shade and also a view over Quarzazate and the surrounding area. Peter came up to join us and discuss our trip. He also showed us his wonderful collection of fossils and stones gathered from the desert on his many trips. Peter explained that he runs off road bike trips in to the desert. He either supplied GMP routes with marked locations to camp or he will also lead some of the trips with his Moroccan wife Zineb coming along in a 4x4 to provide backup and to cook for the group. We then made our one mistake of the stay at Biker’s Home, by deciding to go into town for our evening meal. The meal in town was OK but it meant we missed out on Zineb’s cooking of which more later. The town had a small market and we had a short walk around. Eddie was after glasses again, is this a fetish I wonder and we hunted down a pair of shades as his current pair were hurting while being used with a helmet. We found a ‘designer’ pair in the market which made him look like an extra from Easy Rider. I got a nice piece of Berber jewellery and Chris resisted the enthusiastic offers he had for his shoes and trousers. I think he was concerned at how he may have looked on the way back to the hotel without them! We had fun getting a taxi back to the hotel. In Quarzazate there are 2 kinds of taxi’s, large and small. It seems that only the large ones are allowed to go over the bridge to the hotel from the centre of town. As we did not know this we stopped a number of small taxis but they refused to take us to the hotel. Eventually we found the rank with the large taxis and we were taken home in the most dilapidated Mercedes we have ever seen. There were no inner panels on the doors and the back seat was like the seat from an old sofa but we got back without further drama.

When we returned to The Bikershome http://www.bikershome.net/ we discussed the plans for the next day. We had intended a day’s ride to visit the Dades Gorge, north of Boumaine-du-Dades, as recommended by Peter. However, while discussing this, Peter said he was going out in the morning to reconnoitre some tracks on his KTM and would we like to join him. There were mixed feelings about this suggestion as we had not been too successful off road so far but we had come to Morocco for some adventure and this seemed a great opportunity to spend time with an expert. We decided to go with Peter but telling him we were a little anxious, at least I was. Peter explained that these tracks were some he had not used for some time and he was not sure of the condition but wanted to see if they be suitable for him to use for future visitors.

In the morning we offloaded panniers but made sure we had sufficient tools etc. and full Camelbacks. Peter dressed with full off-road armour indicating he saw this as no picnic and my pulse rose a little. The plan was to ride out of the town on tarmac to the start of the 1st track, and then break for lunch and review things. Peter led the way. He rode quite briskly on the tarmac but we could just about keep up with his orange 950 KTM with the 1200GSs. However we got an indication of what was ahead when we caught up with a car doing about 55 – 60 MPH and taking up most of the road. I hung back waiting for a place to overtake and expected Peter to do the same. I was wrong. Peter accelerated up to over 70 MPH and overtook the car on the dirt by the side of the road. In fact he disappeared into a cloud of dust and we only saw him again when he was back on the tarmac in front of the car; my pulse went up another notch. I stuck to my plan and waited for a better spot to overtake while remaining on the road.

We turned off this road and down a narrower one which was to lead to the track we would use. Peter pulled off the road on to some rough ground and aimed his KTM at this mound about 100 feet above the road and climbed to the top and parked. He did this manoeuvre like he was just pulling in to a service station to get petrol. I followed and was relieved to get to the top and get the side stand down. This was clearly going to be different to a gentle Sunday morning bimble around Hampshire.

The view from the top was stunning, as can be seen from the picture below. There was a plain below which was being cultivated. In the middle distance a striking town built with the local brown clay spread over on a hill. In the distance the rugged hills which was where we were heading.

The stunning view.

4872766951_546811eb9c_b.jpg

Once photos were taken Peter was off again and we followed. The road soon changed from tarmac into a hard packed track with a firm surface and only the occasional spot of gravel. My pace instinctively moderated once we left the tarmac, the same was not so with Peter. He began to disappear into the distance but stopped occasionally to check we were still following and upright. The road was deteriorating, or perhaps from Peter’s perspective getting better, more challenging. Eddie and Chris seemed more comfortable on this terrain than me, maybe because they had done some off-road riding in their youth whereas this was my first experience. I took up a position at the back of the group and they headed off after Peter. I followed along at a pace which allowed me to remain upright. There were some interesting assents and descents which focussed the mind. One added interest was the fact that the road was being repaired, probably to cover it with tarmac. However we were riding through the repairs. At one point I came across an obstacle blocking the road. It was a JCB, parked on the right of the road, and the arm stretched across the road, with the bucket on the left. I paused waiting for the JCB to move or lift the arm. There was no movement but I got a wave from one of the work men to come forward. He indicated I should ride under the arm. I thought he was mad or had been smoking some of the plants from the Rif mountains. He insisted and suggested that if I ducked my head I could make it under the arm of the digger which had no immediate plans to move. I went forward and, by ducking below the bike screen, just made it under the arm and off after Peter and the others.

I caught up with them at a viewpoint. The photo below shows the road in the foreground with a track made by Peter and he came to a halt, the road winding its way up the valley and the fertile area on the valley floor either side of the river. Sadly this view was only glimpsed at during the ride as other matters demanded our full attention. This was a good place to take in the scenery and also light up, right Eddie?

A breather!

4872767397_b52c4a7ba8_b.jpg

Peter had been checking things out ahead and then gently broke it to us that the wonderful road we were on was closed ahead and we would have to take an alternative route. I asked hopefully if this was a better route and the question seemed to have drifted away in the breeze as Peter headed off without a reply. He seemed to be heading up the side of the mountain but there was a discernable track. We followed. Chris went first. After about 150 meters we saw he was struggling and he radioed back that dreaded word ‘sand’. My pulse could not go any higher but this was not a good sign. Chris got through the bad pit and continued. Eddie then followed, saying that it was best to keep to the left. I came along and when I got to the ‘bad bit’ went left and my front wheel went down into a hole a couple of feet deep full of this powdery soil, just like sand. However then the front wheel started to come out the other side, the bike stalled. So the front wheel was now 2 feet above the rear on an upslope and the bike and I were pointing towards the sky and my feet were quite close to my elbows. Well as Corporal Jones said “don’t panic”. I took the bike out of gear, started the engine, engaged first and gave it some welly. The bike leaped out of the hole like it had been stung by a wasp and we were on our way. No further problems for 50 yards till I came to the sharpest, roughest hair pin bend I ever want to come across on a bike. I tried to make it around in one go but failed, and had to take it two bites. Once around the corner the track was steep, perhaps 1/4, and rough so had to be taken while standing on the pegs. After about 150 yards of this I came across the rest of the group, who had been watching my antics from above and were clapping, while I was doubting how long I could continue along tracks of this quality. Even in this remote place there were people selling souvenirs and Eddie and I bought one of the rocks each which had been split open to reveal crystal inside, very beautiful, and very cheap once you bargained.

Peter suggested that the road from here may not be as bad, so we headed off. My assessment is that it never got quite as bad but it did not materially improve. Just as we had settled into handling the loose surface the locals presented us with a different surface to play on. Some water had spilled on this loose earth and ran down the road for about 500 yards. This was on a steepish downslope and the degree of grip was about the same as that of fresh snow. I never thought it would happen but found I was aiming for the dry loose patches of earth which gave more grip. Peter stopped again to point out the housed carved into the rocks, and others built with mud.

A village set into the hills, some carved from the rock.

4873375896_37858549d2_z.jpg

The ride continued through valleys, up slopes and finally we came back to tarmac and headed off for lunch. The excitement was not over as we charged down this tarmac road at speed only to come around a corner and be back on a few hundred yards of the loose stuff and needing to slow up rapidly. We pulled into a one horse town for lunch and ordered kebabs at a small café and admired the mud caked bikes.

Chris's muddy bike.

4872774427_f6291e0c28_z.jpg

The kebab meat was a bit chewy and none of us were confident what animal it had come from but we were hungry and a bit exhilarated and enjoyed it anyway. When we talked about the events of the morning we were grinning. We felt we had had a taste of off-road in Morocco and were very grateful to Peter for taking us out and making sure we got back to the safety of the tarmac. Peter asked if we wanted to continue off-road but explained the afternoon route would be harder. We felt well satisfied with the route we had completed and all decided to head back to town on the tarmac. Peter went off on the next trail and would update us over dinner back at the hotel.

The morning ride had taken us past Tourhat, Achahoud and we were now near the Marrakesh – Quarzazate road, close to Aguelmous. We headed off down the road to Quarzazate and delighted in the grip of the tarmac and the many bends. It had been nearly a week since Eddie and I had ridden the bikes without luggage and we attacked the bends with some enthusiasm, again marvelling at the grip of the knobbly TKC tyres. Eddie however seemed not to have had enough of playing in the loose stuff as I looked back to see him raise a cloud of dust in the gravel at the side of the road just as we approached a particularly tight bend. As I negotiated the bend I met a police car coming the other way and alerted Eddie by radio. However when the police car passed him, Eddie was riding serenely along the road like a model citizen but he made a mental note not to leave his braking so late before the corners in future so he can stay on the road. We came back into Quarzazate passing the film studios. Quarzazate has internationally renowned film studios. This modern development seemed at odds with the primitive landscape and dwellings we had passed through that morning.

So back to Bikershome and a relaxing afternoon. Eddie was not feeling great and came down with a tummy bug. Chris and I had suffered a bit earlier in the tour but recovered in a day or so, however Eddie seemed to have it quite bad. He declined the evening meal and rested. This was bad timing on Eddie’s behalf as the meal prepared by Zineb was a delight. There were at least 3 main dishes on the table with salad, rice, olives and bread. It was very tasty and nourishing and we could not hope to eat it all. Over the meal Peter told us how he had got on with the other track in the afternoon. His first comment was that it was not suitable for GSs and while there may be a little KTM bias there, I suspect he was right. The afternoon track was much rougher with boulders and river crossings. Peter said he even fell off a few times, which I suspect does not happen too often. He also had a puncture and described the complicated procedure for repairing a rear puncture on a 950 on your own out in the wilds. It seemed beyond my abilities at least.

The lounging area on the roof of Bikershome.

4879771710_f51716a41f_b.jpg

The next day Eddie was still not well so we took the chance of some R&R and Bikershome was a good place to do this. As it got dark we heard the sound of a bike approaching and we were joined by Paul who had just arrived on his KTM 990. He was a British army officer and the 990 was his first bike and he had only had it one year. He had been in Morocco 3-4 days but had been on tracks for most of the time. He had spent that day coming from the direction of Rossini, all on piste and said he spent about 6 hours standing on the pegs. He seemed to have had quite an adventure so far. He had his camera stolen and been knocked off his bike by a car turning in front of him while overtaking. Paul was shaken up but OK and he said the bike only suffered a broken indicator when Paul stood on it while getting up. The next day we noticed that the crash bars had been bent on one side but the ARD cases were in good shape. The same was not so for the car which had suffered quite badly in the crash with dented rear door, wing and broken light cluster. The police were called, and once they made sure Paul was not injured, they said they both should be responsible for the damage to their own vehicles. Paul was carrying rehydration tablets and gave some to Eddie to help his liquid retention. We enjoyed a further meal with Zineb’s wonderful cooking and swapped stories with Paul on our trips over a few beers from Peter’s fridge. To be continued....

I`ve only looked through your superb photos so far.

I`m going to read your report when I`m in work over the weekend. :D :augie

You may even have inspired me to go to a place I always thought I`d never go. :thumb2

Bikershome to Ouzoud Waterfalls

Production delays due to arrival of Granddaughter...

As we settled down at the end of this non bike day, Eddie was getting better but still not well. We briefly discussed a few options but made one clear decision which was to give Marrakesh a miss and continue to travel inland avoiding the major cities. We left the final decision on our next day’s route till the morning. Our most likely option was to head north for some waterfalls which Eddie had read about. I wrapped up the evening with some more washing as I was still getting a whiff of something coming from my clothes bag and indeed I had taken to keeping the bag closed.

The next morning Eddie felt well enough to ride again, in fact he was keen to get back in the saddle. We looked again at the map and the route to the Ouzoud Waterfalls seemed pretty straight forward and not too taxing. We would head out of Quarzazate on the N10 and head north up the R307 towards Demnate. This relaxed attitude to the route highlighted some weaknesses in our map-reading.

Before heading off we had to get some money, pay Peter, load the bikes again and I must not forget my washing which was drying rapidly on Peter’s roof. Paul was also leaving, heading south towards Zagora and beyond, into the desert. This was also a good time to look over the bikes and particularly check the oil. Mine was fine, which made me think that the engine of my 2008 bike had got to the point where oil usage was minimal. Eddie’s needed a little oil but his fancy ally filler cap was stuck and he stripped the allen key socket trying to open it. Peter and his well-stocked garage came to the rescue and the cap was persuaded to open and oil added. I suspect this is not the largest mechanical task Peter has undertaken in this garage but also something Eddie had not welcomed as he became reacquainted with his bike.

Once the bikes were loaded we headed off. Eddie had again loaded a route into the GPS to aid navigation. It was good to be back on the bike after our day’s rest and look forward to a day’s gentle riding with good scenery. As can be seen in the photo below the route started as planned with a good road surface and mountains in the distance.

Bikes on the road, mountains in the background

4886646560_d208075607_b.jpg

We continued along this straight road which then began to gently climb and become more interesting with some corners. We were taking it reasonably easy, bearing in mind Eddie was still recovering. As the road climbed a bit more the corners became more frequent. However there was enough of a sprinkling of gravel to discourage us from throwing the bikes around. This route was taking more of our concentration than we expected. The scenery was… well I have used many superlatives already so I’ll leave you to judge as you look at the picture below and those later.

Mountain Scenery.

4886043759_129d5462b9_b.jpg

The ride continued through these mountain roads with some of the best scenery we had seen on the holiday so far. We passed through small villages and were stared at as a curiosity by children and adults. The road continued to climb and we passed 2000 meters as shown on the Garmin. The surface had not improved and the road had fine gravel, usually well sprinkled on the corners, so progress was slower than expected. We stopped pretty regularly which gave us a chance to take some photos and Eddie to catch his breath and rest a bit. I’ll include a selection of photographs below which is just a sample of what I took that day.

Selection of mountain photos

4886043887_1ccd8d035b_b.jpg

4886646950_eae7746404_b.jpg

4886647218_5621ec04ba_b.jpg

4886647318_89766ba4c4_b.jpg

4886044675_db0f612654_b.jpg

While the assent of the pass was mainly tarmac with some gravel, the decent was a lot more tricky. What we found was a tarmac road as indicated on the map but large parts of the road had been covered with earth. We concluded that this had happened when the mountain snow had melted, this earth and grit had been washed off the slopes on to the road. The reason this part of the road, the decent, seemed in worse condition was I believe because it was north facing and had more snow and was slower to melt. Anyway, what it meant for us was that we had to negotiate these soil covered parts of the road which were quite often on steep parts of the decent. I found this tricky with the fully loaded bike but for Eddie it seemed more difficult and he had a few ‘moments’ negotiating some of the worst bits.

This difficulty with the conditions was not typical of Eddie who is a very sure footed rider and it reminded Chris and I that Eddie was not fully well and his condition was impacting his concentration. This meant we needed to take the road at a slower pace and rest frequently. There was light traffic on the road but this pass did seem to be used by the locals. We came across quite a few minibus’s which were fully loaded and took up most of the road so we had to be wary not to meet them in the wrong place.

A well loaded mini-bus

4886044791_48b209f92e_b.jpg

While heading down one particularly bad strip of mud covered road we met some bikes coming up, including a few bikes like ours, going quite quickly. These seemed comfortable with the conditions but it also made is think that, apart from the rider skill, going up these slopes under power is better than going downhill just under braking and using the engine. In summary the decent was tiring for all of us and had taken a lot out of Eddie. We decided we would not go on to the falls but stop at Demnate and find a hotel. We headed into Demnate looking out for a hotel but ended up out the other side without seeing one, we went further hoping there would be one up the road but no luck. We realised we had missed lunch which was not helping our concentration and contributing to our tiredness and stopped for refreshments at a service station. I had a few sticks of kebab but Eddie declined as be blamed an earlier kebab, with meat we could not recognise, for the cause of his illness. After having something to eat and drink we were refreshed and carried on to the waterfalls, being confident there would be a hotel there.

The Ouzoud Waterfalls were still quite busy late afternoon when we arrived, with lots of helpers, stalls and tourist buses. Despite some pressure from the helpers to send us to cheaper hotels we went to the Riad mentioned in the guide book. It was a great decision. After the hard day on the mountain roads it was a welcome oasis of peace and calm. We sat in the internal courtyard and had a coffee. Swallows flew around us and settled on the light fittings. An orange tree, with fruit, grew in the middle of the courtyard. The receptionist explained that they also served evening meal. We thought, this will do! The meal was great, served in the garden with the rumble of the unseen waterfall in the background. Something to explore tomorrow, or maybe even this evening. We had further coffee in the comfortable sitting room after our meal and reflected on the days ride. The room was like a family sitting room with books, pottery, fossils on display. The Riad hit all the spots.

The Riad Orangtree

4886044943_2ae9030e34_b.jpg

Eddie and Chris headed for the shared bedroom but I was not ready to settle down. I went out with a head torch to see if I could get close to the falls in the dark. I walked past the closing stalls down the concrete path. It was a bit creepy as I descended the path and steps. The wildlife were also coming out to play. Nothing too exciting, just toads and some very large centipedes.

I went all the way down to the viewing point and could just make out the waterfall in the gloom. There was no one around. It made me realise it was the first time I had been on my own since the trip started. It was a great moment of stillness, in the dark, with the drumming of the waterfall surrounding me.

More to come...

Still good stuff...keep it coming,and congrats on the Grand Daughter. :beerjug:

Regarding your pannier lid incident...I always run a small luggage strap around any kind of pannier and its frame that I`m using.

The nylon webbing ones that look like mini ratchet straps about 20-25mm wide do fine.

Even a locked pannier can distort slightly and pop open or unlatch on big bumps.
I once discovered that the strap was the only thing keeping a pannier still atached to one of my bikes. :eek

The last part.....

A somewhat delayed ending this this ride report and this last piece is being added from a campsite in Spain.... My thanks to Eddie for vetting the text and to my partner for her patience in helping with the proofreading. Cheers Jim

So, breakfast at the Riad at the Ouzoud Waterfalls was served in the garden and set us up well for the day ahead. After breakfast we headed off to see the famous waterfalls. As we were up early before the tourists we had a pleasant walk down past the stalls. The stall holders were arriving for their day’s trading and carrying down their supplies. This place clearly got busy during the day. The falls were magnificent and about 100 foot high but it seemed a bit strange to have them here in such a dry country. After taking a few photos and observing the scenery we headed back to the Riad and gathered our bags to load up again. We had parked the bikes in a courtyard just off the carpark as suggested by the minders when we arrived. The minders assured us the bikes would be well looked after by the guardian and the bikes were safe and well. Eddie looked much better today and we looked forward to an enjoyable ride.

The plan was to go north on the mountain road and hit the N8 and head to Khenifra, stay around there overnight and the next day take a right turn just after Khenifra and head off towards a national Park to join up with the N13. We then planned to cross the N13 and come in on a small road to find a hotel in Ifrane. The initial part of the ride was quite technical, that is it was on a narrow mountain road with sharp corners and those wonderful mountain views again, so our attention was torn between looking at the scenery and paying due attention to the road. With Eddie fully fit again we could be a bit more enthusiastic with the corners but they were so tight that we made slow progress. This pace was not a problem as we were enjoying the riding conditions and the views, and we were still on holiday!

4886045523_b0256ae528_b.jpg

A while into the trip Eddie reported on the radio that he had a technical problem. I can hear the 1150 owners saying ‘I told you so, imagine taking 3 x 1200GSs all the way to Morocco without backup, asking for trouble!’. Well the technical hitch turned out to be a poor connection on a rear bulb, which we resolved in minutes on the side of the road. This was the only hiccup the three 1200s experienced on the 3000+mile trip. A photo below showing Eddie looking pleased after his roadside repair.

4886045755_9b09ae5fc6_b.jpg

The scenery continued to impress and we stopped regularly for a viewing and photos.

4890511312_a23f369be4_b.jpg

We began to descend and came across a beautiful river valley with a rickety bridge, another photo.

4951477289_7dde350598_b.jpg

As we got to the N8 the pace increased on this smooth flat road and we began riding through very fertile farmland. The harvest was in full swing and the road was busy with commercial and farm machinery. We had to remind ourselves how to ride on busy roads and to think about overtaking techniques. We carried on past Kasba-Tadala and looked for somewhere to stop. In the end we found a dusty local café with a few mopeds outside. We made the usual order of coffee and coke, alas they only had one coke bottle but we were delighted to see that next to the café was a pharmacy. One result of our each having ailments of the digestive system was that we had used up our supply of one of our key medicines and this was a chance to re-stock.

We went into the small pharmacy and I realised that explaining our needs was going to test my French vocabulary, initially to explain the condition we wanted to treat, and secondly, to know if the medicine offered was what we wanted. I was not sure what the correct French word was for “ailments of the digestive system” but I did know the words for the effect it had on us. After my stumbling explanation the pharmacist at first looked a little puzzled but as I continued he reached over to a counter and offered a box of Immodium. This was the perfect response as we then knew that he fully understood and had indeed produced the exact medicine we wanted. Maybe next time it would be simpler just to ask for the medicine by name but a lot less fun.

We continued along this main road covering the ground at a reasonable pace. We stopped at a viewpoint for a rest overlooking a large lake. We noticed that the cereal crop in the field to the side was being harvested. No combines harvesters here, tractor, not even a horse. The crop was being cut by a team of labourers with sickles. I was brought up on a farm in Ireland in the ’50’s, and remember by grandfather using a sythe to cut the corners of the field which the tractor could not negotiate. Finding people using sickles for harvesting a whole field in 2010 was a shock, but we travel to increase our knowledge and I had learned something that day.

4952069188_254267c3d3_b.jpg

As we were noticing and you may see from the photos, the landscape was becoming more green as we had been progressing north. We had left behind the barren earth of the south and vegetation was increasing, and in fact around us now it was abundant. We came into Kinefra and although the town did not inspire we found a comfortable hotel and after a good night’s sleep were ready for the National Park the next day.

The park was a gear shift in scenery again. It was quite pastoral in places with small farms, with animals on high pastures and cultivation of cereal crops, interspersed with small woods and copses. The road was fine and very quiet and it seemed to influence us to adopt a leisurely pace and absorb the relaxed mood of the surroundings.

4951477853_29b8d730f6_b.jpg

We wished we still had our camping equipment as this would have been a good place for an overnight camp.

4952067396_b469540487_b.jpg

4951478001_5103e57e79_b.jpg

Later we came to an open plane and noticed that there were about half a dozen kestrels hunting around us and we stopped to marvel at their grace. The silence on that plain was striking and we rested and watched the kestrels for some time.

4951476785_cc10418a3f_b.jpg

I mentioned earlier my surprise at seeing the locals reaping wheat with sickles, and here in the park we came across a farmer ploughing his land. He was using horses and as I looked more closely the plough was made of wood, at least the part above ground. He had a farmhand helping him and I asked if they would mind if I took a photo, and they agreed. The sight of that farmer standing proudly behind his wooden plough has remained with me as a souvenir of the trip.

4952068238_f0c0f04e49_b.jpg

As we got to the end of the park we came across a troop of monkeys and to my eyes they look the same as the Barbary Macaques which live on Gibraltar. The one below with the baby was cute.

4951476967_a1b7f4d06d_b.jpg

When we got to the N13 we crossed over onto an unpaved road. This was fine at first but soon degenerated into a track of loose gravel and small boulders. This was not what we expected and too difficult with full luggage so we turned around and headed for Ifrane on the N13 and N8 instead. As we joined the N8 we stopped for petrol and coffee. We were soon joined by a guy riding a F650GS who spoke to us in English. He was an Aussi and had hired the bike in Marrakesh and he seemed to be planning to get around most of Morocco in about a week. The photo below shows us having coffee with the Aussi with his hired F650GS in the foreground.

4952068636_5beb71e07f_b.jpg

The bike cost 70 Euro/day with no limit on mileage. He had some roadside repairs to do to keep it going but overall was pleased with bike and was clearly seeing a lot of the country. He was heading noth to Fez that night and we gave him some tips and recommended the National Park to the east of Fez which Eddie and I had visited. Once his coffee was done he was off and on the road to Fez. We meandered up to Ifrane and found a modern hotel which was fine but the evening meal was disappointing. Ifrane is a strange soulless modern place and this 2nd visit on the trip did not allow me to warm to it any more. However we stayed in the Hotel Chamonix which was fine and not expensive(723DM or 72Euro) for the largest 3 bed room of the trip with a bath!

Anyway, next morning we headed off again and our aim was to visit the Roman site of Volubilis west of Fez and north of Meknes. The journey was fine again through fertile land with harvesting in full swing. The road was good but we had some traffic to deal with as we passed through Meknes. One pickup amused me as it had 2 guys in the back, standing up, on either side of 3 cattle. I’ve seen a few things on a dual carriageway but this was a first for me.

4951478457_fe259e8116_b.jpg

The scale and beauty of what we saw at Volubilis is hard to describe and I will rely on some photographs to help me explain. Firstly the setting of the town was well chosen with a wonderful view across the landscape. The site is large and it is easy to see the layout of the town. Although there are no buildings standing, as they are preserved in Pompey, the lines of the walls can be seen defining the floor plans of the dwellings. It was a wonderful surprise to see so many of the original mosaics still in situ, just as in Romans times.

4952070182_9ea5397142_b.jpg

4952070828_1f3fe12f9d_b.jpg

Some of the columns have been re-erected and the detailed work on the carvings was very skilled and has survived remarkably well over the centuries.

4952070534_329cca905f_b.jpg

4952070656_3eec0a09bb_b.jpg

The centrepiece of the site stands at the end of what would have been the main street and is a high arch, with a large Latin inscription on the top.

4952071002_53473dcc64_b.jpg

The arch was magnificent but equally wonderful was the sight of storks which had installed themselves on top of one of the carved columns. This has got to be hard to beat as a stork residence.

4951479617_95dfcf26d9_b.jpg

Overall the visit to the site, even in the late morning heat, was one of the highpoints of the trip.

We headed on north and the road was fine with pleasant undulations and we started to increase the pace. There were nice curves which could be taken at some speed, at least until we came across another Moroccan road surface variation. The ground had seemed to shift under some of the road which caused the road to partially fall away, changing the camber and also causing a dip in the surface. The effect of this on a banked over motorcycle was a little alarming and caused us some amusement and we eased the pace a little. In time we arrived at Quezzane, which the guide book did not rate very highly. The guide book was correct. Any thoughts we had about staying there quickly evaporated. Apart from being grubby, and a lot of the roads being dug up, it seemed a little hostile with a few people shouting at us as we passed through. Some of the shouting may have been because the guy leading that day was not watching the road very well and we got lost. The leader then had a close encounter with a ‘Pitit taxi’ on a roundabout. Eddie and Chris then explained to me that in Morocco they prefer we go ride counter-clockwise around roundabouts, not clockwise like in UK, even on small ones. Ah well, mea culpa, but it had been a long trip!

Putting Quezzane behind us we headed for Chefchuane, the hill town we had stayed in our first night. The road from Quezzane was great for a main road. You will understand by now that great means it was not straight and had a good road surface. The scenery too was a joy but we had to pay attention to this road too. I could blame the scenery that not all of the overtaking manoeuvres were in the highway code but it was also getting near the end of a longish day. We rode into Chefchuane and decided we would stay at the first hotel we found by using the list on the GPS. This proved to be the Hotel Madrid on the main road. The parking was also on the main road. While this was not ideal the hotel manager explained that he had an all-night Guardian etc. We asked the price for a 3 bed room and were told 600Dm including breakfast, £16 each so we took it. The room was small, with a small shower room, but the feature of the room was the 4 poster and canopy arrangement over each of the beds.

Opening my bag in this small space I was struck with the bad smell again and decided this needed sorting. I had made sure all my clothes were clean with regular washing so that was unlikely to be the cause unless I had missed something. After a bit of digging around I felt something soft and as the light was poor I took the contents of this part of the bag to the bathroom. The smell was awful. With the brighter lights in the bathroom I saw the problem. Much earlier in the trip we had stayed in a hotel which had hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I had eaten one but also taken another with the intention of eating it for lunch. Well, it was well past eating now. This egg had shared most of the trip with me, including heat in the south and the bike falling in the sand in the desert, and somewhere along the way got broken. It may be hard to imagine how bad a 10 day old egg smells but let me assure you that keeping an egg this long in your sealed bag on a trip around Morocco is not to be recommended. It was good to finally nail the source of the smell and be able to ease up on my clothes washing regime.

We had a more relaxed look around the markets and Medina of Chefchaouen this time in daylight before our meal and afterwards in darkness as the pictures below will show.

4951479735_418409e569_b.jpg

4951479853_f8928bdece_b.jpg

We did a bit of bartering for some last minute items and even Chris splashed out…. Chris had resisted all the Moroccan marketing techniques for 2 weeks but weakened sufficiently on this last day to purchase a fridge magnet. It may have been a small purchase but hopefully it will be a contribution to the stimulation of the world economy. We were in the Medina at 10pm when the call to prayer was heard and we watched as men came from various parts of the town to attend the Mosque, and later came outside chatting on the steps. It was as if we had been given a small insight into how this society functions.

As we returned to the hotel the all night guardian was in place watching the 3 bikes. We decided to give him a tip to thank him and encourage his vigilance. Later we heard the Guardian discussing the tip with the hotel manager and wondered if we had given him enough, so we increased the tip. This increase had consequences which we would discover in the morning.

Breakfast in the Hotel Madrid was basic but adequate and we shared it with a coach party from Holland. We got our bags down and started to load the bikes. We had a sense that something was different with the bikes but could not immediately see what it was. The bikes had been fine the night before but of course after the punishment we had given them on and off road they had gathered a layer of dust, in some places mud, and a swarm of various dead insects all over the front screens, lights etc. We had not cleaned this off as like this they looked like proper R1200GSs with an appropriate layer of dirt which suggesting they had been used, at least somewhat, for the purpose they had been designed and not just for a ride up to the supermarket. It was then we noticed that the Guardian, probably stimulated by the excessive tip, had decided that he would repay some of the tip by washing the front of the bikes and he looked very proud of his work. He did not know that we were quite disappointed that he had cleaned them but we knew he had meant well and we learned a lesson on excessive tipping.

We left early to head to Tutuan and the port of Coute and back to Spain. The ride out of Chefchuen was fresh and in fact cold as we wound our way down the twisty hills to the main road. The road to Tetuan was fine and we enjoyed this last collection of Moroccan corners on the trip.

At Tutuan we decided to take the motorway to the border. The motorway was a ‘payage’ but did not cost much and was virtually empty. However there was a very strong side-wind which limited our speed. The border was hassle as usual but this time we knew the drill better, filled in our police forms, took them with our passports to be stamped at the police booth and then presented the paperwork to the customs at their booth and got permission to leave. This was achieved without any assistance from minders. We stopped short of the port and bought a ticket at the first official looking office. This was 62 Euro for the crossing. The first ferry was not for a few hours so we waited outside until called forward past the check-in booths to wait for the police and customs. My bike was the last of the 3 and at that point a white van pulled up behind me in the queue. I had a sense he was quite close and looked back and got no reaction. I got off the bike and saw that he was only 2 inches short of touching my bike. I looked at the gap and at the driver but he did not respond or offer to reverse a little. I now realise he may have had other worries on his mind. We then noticed another R1200GS had joined the queue further back and as we seemed to be stationary for a while the rider came up to chat.

The rider, Phil, lived in Inverness and had also been on a tour of Morocco but travelling on his own. Just as we began to chat 2 police appeared and looked like we may move soon so Phil returned to his bike. I got on my bike to get ready to move but could not get it upright and take it off the side-stand because the van behind was too close. I had a struggle with this, without any help from the van driver, and eventually was successful. The police had a dog and it was scenting the vehicles and began to get excited and initially seemed to be heading for us. However the dog passed us by and began barking around the van behind, the one with the friendly driver. We were waved forward by the police and passed on into the holding area for the ferry. When parking up I looked back and noticed that no other vehicle had following us, we waited and then went and had a coffee. I was still annoyed with the van driver and joked with the others that hopefully he was a smuggler and had been caught and the thought amused us. We finished our coffee and eventually cars came through as did Phil on his GS.

Phil told us the story of the van and explained the delay in the other vehicles coming through. It seemed the dog had continued to get excited around the white van which had been parked behind me. The driver was asked to get out and stood around as the police tried to find out what was causing the dog to behave this way. In the end after the van was searched the police became interested in the big empty roof rack on top of the van. At this point the van driver took off on foot back out of the port and into the surrounding streets, running as fast as he could. Initially the police headed after him on foot but failed to catch him and came back and got a motorbike and gave further chase. Phil did not see the driver being caught but as he left the police were cutting up the large roof-rack to see what it contained.

We boarded the ferry and were joined by Phil who had a few tales to tell and we swapped stories. We were late getting back to the bikes to leave the boat and I looked for my Garmin SatNav in my top box but could not find it. I then wondered if I had really put it in there or maybe left it sitting on the seat and it had been stolen. Anyway it was not to be found and I had to leave the boat as cars were already coming on. At this point the four of us split up with Chris setting off up the coast without delay to look for friends and Eddie and I also lost contact with Phil with the delay over the SatNav. So Eddie and I had one SatNav between us to navigate the rest of the trip.

We had decided to overnight in Gibraltar as it was close by and going there would mean another sticker for the bike as well as seeing what Gib was like. Eddie did a super navigating job and we rolled into Gib but it was quite confusing at first and we could not see a hotel. I did spot a British Bobby and remembered what I was told when I came to London in the ‘60s, “ If in doubt ask a Bobby”, so I pulled up. The Bobby was friendly and helpful and interested in where we had been. He recommended a few suitable hotels and we followed his directions to the Bristol Hotel. They had a twin room with breakfast for £78. There was parking on the street outside the hotel and we were assured it was safe. As I was unloading my gear I had a further look in the top-box for my SatNav. Now in the better daylight I found it tucked in a corner of the box, quite safe.

Later as we sat on the hotel foyer checking e-mails Phil turned up, having spotted the bikes. We wandered up the main shopping street and had a sense if this being England but maybe 20 or 30 years ago. I had to pop into M&S to check if there were any bargains in the sale, happily there were not as the bike was fully loaded already. I did buy 3 toy monkeys for my Grandchildren however. Phil, Eddie and I spend a very pleasant evening together including eating fish and chips in an Irish Pub overlooking the harbour and we swapped more stories of our trips. During this evening it dawned on us that we were not in Africa any more.

One of Phil’s most interesting stories, which I hope he will not mind me retelling, happened to him in the south of Morocco, near Zagora. He had a minor problem with the bike and laid out his gear while looking the right tool. A local guy came along with a laden donkey and started to chat. After a while the guy offered to swap some things for some of Phil’s clothes which were on the ground. Phil looked at what was on offer, jewellery, fossils, etc. and agreed to the deal. The guy explained how he made his living. He had recently purchased the donkey in Zagora and loaded it up with the supplies of things to sell along the road. He would travel from Zagora to Merzouga, a journey of something over 200Km selling his goods as he went along and this would normally take him around a month. When he arrived at Merzouga he would plan to have sold everything and then he would sell the donkey, return to Zagora, purchase another donkey and repeat the journey.

In the morning Eddie and I went up to the Rock and were shocked to find you are charged to enter, a whole £12 pounds. We baulked at this but as we are unlikely to be here again we paid and rode up as far as possible and then walked the rest in the late morning heat. At the top of the footpath we were invited to pay again to enter another part of the rock which was designated a nature reserve but declined and returned to the bikes to find them surrounded by apes. The apes played about the bikes but were sufficient respectful of the GSs not to meddle or to eat anything.

4952071804_b818b3e32b_b.jpg

We took some photographs and some looking back over the Straits to Africa, where we had been the day before.

4951480071_f1670f6744_b.jpg

4951479975_a743ab9df1_b.jpg

I was struck by the contrast between the lifestyle of subsistence Moroccan farming and 21st century life here in Gibraltar. It seemed as if we had left rural Morocco and after a short ferry ride landed in what appeared to be a town in the English home counties. I think then I realised that it would take some time to process the experiences of the last couple of weeks. Maybe this is why it has taken me a few months to get around to writing up these notes reflecting on our trip.

The ride over the rest of the rock was good giving great views over the bay and Africa in the distance. We then left Gib and headed north to Seville on the motorway, heading for the Ibis Hotel that we had booked on-line from Gib. We stayed overnight in Seville and had a walk around the old town and enjoyed a meal in sight of the Cathedral. We then started to consider the possibility of picking off another country on the way back to Santander and pop in to Portugal. Having booked another Ibis we left Seville in the morning and branched off the motorway going towards Portugal and aiming for Evora.

4951480569_0e8c5791c9_b.jpg

The Evora Ibis hotel had underground parking and was near the centre. The carpark was not well lit and I got a few strange looks as I passed through reception still wearing my brightly illuminated head torch. Evora was just right for a stopover, small enough to walk around and enough interesting sights to view. We spent a few pleasant hours relaxing and watching the locals passing through the main square.

4951480477_7008675cb5_b.jpg

The next day we headed back to Spain to Samalanca, our last stop before Santander and the boat home. The buildings in the main square in Salamanca are quite stunning and worth a visit just to see them.

4952072354_880f5625fa_b.jpg

It was a great place to spend our last evening in Spain drinking coffee and eating dinner. We also fitted in a visit to the Cathedral which made us shiver as we entered; not sure if it was the power of spirituality of the low air temperature, we will never know. The next morning it was an uneventful trip back to Santander on the motorway. We were joined by Phil and Chris in the queue for the boat and had a calm crossing again. Photo below of the bikes at Santander with Eddie and Phil chatting in the background

4951481741_bb4b9564bf_b.jpg

Of course we returned to rain in Portsmouth and the joys of the M27 rush hour which brought us down to earth. The trip was amazing and I think one we will have fond memories of for some time, and, hopefully, I have captured some of the spirit in these notes. It might be that some readers will think of heading there themselves, if so I would why not. We also had our doubts before we left, but we did our research and some planning and had a great trip.

What worked.
Using BMW R1200GSs, which were 100% reliable, carried luggage well and a joy to ride.
Taking the ferry to Spain instead of the drive through France and arriving rested and relaxed in Santander.
Using the Topy GPS maps with Garmin Zumo SatNavs and creating routes in advance(thanks Eddie).
Staying in hotels, which were cheap and apart from one were OK and had secure parking.
Having the form which the hotels require printed in advance, with passport details etc.
The Rough Guide, 10Cm to 10KM plastic map. Almost indestructible, but it does burn(Thanks Luke)
Using the Moroccan Customs website and printing down the customs form for importing the bike.
Continental TKC knobbly tyres, which gave good road grip and helped on the dirt.
Having bike-to-bike radio using Kenwood radios via Autocom audio systems, with helmet speakers and mikes.
Avoiding most of the main cities worked for our group but I will return some time to see Marrakesh and Casablanca.
Mostly staying on roads, but it was also good to try our skills and the bikes on piste and dirt roads.
Staying at Bikers Home. A great place to rest up, or to use as a base. Thanks Peter and Zenib.
Touratech Ziga Panniers, trouble free and undamaged in my fall in the sand.
Cereal snack bars to boost energy for those stops up the mountains where there are no cafes.
Light gloves, GS gloves in my case.
Having a good stills digital camera

Did not work.
Keeping boiled eggs in your luggage.
Taking too many clothes.
Taking too many tools between us.
Keeping ASC(Traction Control) active when on dirt roads or particularly in sand.
Taking too much video that becomes impossible to view or edit.
Not always stopping for lunch and getting tired and hungry

I missed this one.... excellent trip report Jim :thumb2 I recognise many of the places.

Back
Top Bottom