The new Navigator VI….

Please don't think I'm a downer on Garmin because I'm not, I have one of their watches I wear every day as does my wife and daughter, nuvi nav in the car and I like basecamp, if the nav 6 was reliable I would never had changed it.

So are you saying that all the nav 6 issues are caused by the cradle? I had a nav 5 in my cradle and never had one issue, must have had 6 or 7 nav 6's including two new black editions which I all took back and in the end got a refund. Now been on the connect cradle and it's been perfect, only one common denominator there and that the nav 6

Same with me, had a Nav V with no issues, swapped to Nav VI after 2 years, ghosting. Replaced, no issues after 8 month with the replacement, same cradle, nothing done to it

So is it just aesthetic or cosmetic changes between the new Nav VI and the previous version of Nav VI? If not what are the changes are they really worth upgrading to?

considering the amount of problems people seem to have and also acknowledged by Garmin I would not bother. So far I have been OK but as Wapping says the first 1000 miles or so fine, and then mayhem. A pal bought a new one and had exactly the same from day 1. From what I can see the changes are cosmetic. I actually just bought a NAV 6 old version from someone here to have a back up in case mine goes loopy on a long trip. Bonkers really - you pay almost 500 quid and you have a back up.....
I really would not bother with the new version.

New model. New touch screen and new interface and larger memory and processor.

New model. New touch screen and new interface and larger memory and processor.

Still has ghosting problems, just exchanged a new one with the dealer for exactly the same issue that was on my original Nav VI. Buy an XT

Still has ghosting problems, just exchanged a new one with the dealer for exactly the same issue that was on my original Nav VI. Buy an XT

Yeah I heard that......
Ive been using an XT since last September. 100 times better:thumb

Yeah I heard that......
Ive been using an XT since last September. 100 times better:thumb

I too gave up with both 'make life a ride' and earlier versions after a few failures.

The XT is a much better nav

I too gave up with both 'make life a ride' and earlier versions after a few failures.

The XT is a much better nav

Have you had any issues with the "can not calculate route" message? There have been reported issues with the XT refusing to recalculate if you deviate off a route. I hit the Home button on Friday and the route it gave me home was a bit convoluted, as soon as I deviated it refused to calculate the route. Cancelled the route and tried again, same thing happened. Garmin told me to delete all the files in the archive folder, will see if that has fixed it. But I am not the only one who has experienced this, so must be a garmin glitch.

I did the same, after 7 units they refunded me. Using the cradle now, not perfect but good enough for me. So much faster than any nav I've had.

I did the same, after 7 units they refunded me. Using the cradle now, not perfect but good enough for me. So much faster than any nav I've had.

Used the Xt ?

Tried my mates, quicker than a five or a six but not as quick as the phone.

Interesting. When you say quick, In what way ? I've not noticed the XT slow in any way. My Nav 6 was slow to draw the mapping, but not the XT?

Interesting. When you say quick, In what way ? I've not noticed the XT slow in any way. My Nav 6 was slow to draw the mapping, but not the XT?

General use, searching, routing etc. the xt is fine and if I didn't want to keep using the wheel may have been my choice. But I like the 700 as well.

The phone in the cradle is certainly faster at route recalculation than the XT (which isn’t slow) and quicker than the VI, V, IV and earlier models / devices.

Will the XT unit fit in the BMW nav cradle and draw power?

I presume the Nav wheel won't work with anything else but BMW stuff or the connected ride cradle and a smartphone? I could do with a Garmin-based unit to share routes on tours and also still be able to navigate without a phone signal if out in the sticks.

I have a new (used) 1250GSA coming soon with Nav prep and want to update from my old Zumo 660LM unit, but don't want to pay for an overpriced pile of trouble despite any BMW branding on it, especially if the XT is a better unit that works.

Will the XT unit fit in the BMW nav cradle and draw power?

I presume the Nav wheel won't work with anything else but BMW stuff or the connected ride cradle and a smartphone? I could do with a Garmin-based unit to share routes on tours and also still be able to navigate without a phone signal if out in the sticks.

I have a new (used) 1250GSA coming soon with Nav prep and want to update from my old Zumo 660LM unit, but don't want to pay for an overpriced pile of trouble despite any BMW branding on it, especially if the XT is a better unit that works.

it will with the powered mount from the italian company mentioned in other threads,i got the powered locking mount so my xt gets power from the bmw nav 6 mount,of course the wizzy wheel for navigation is redundant

it will with the powered mount from the italian company mentioned in other threads,i got the powered locking mount so my xt gets power from the bmw nav 6 mount,of course the wizzy wheel for navigation is redundant

Thanks very much.

Must give Garmin some credit.

I contacted them in early May and reported that my Nav 6 was going though all the faults mentioned on here....ghosting. freezing, zooming out to show the entire globe, shimmering icons and hard starting in the cradle. It took hours to download routes from Basecamp as it constantly showed an error. When I finally did get the maps onto the unit it would freeze whilst importing the files

Garmin immediately offered me a new unit (not refurbished...a totally new unit!) even though I was the second owner (bought off this site) and 3 years old. I couldn't take up the offer immediately as I was going on tour to Greece before the expected delivery of the replacement. On the tour I cleaned the screen and removed the battery for a few minutes most nights. A pain I know but the 6 behaved itself for 99% of the time only freezing for about 5 minutes on 3 occasions and hard starting itself once

On Tuesday 7 June I finally got around to returning the unit using Garmin's free postage. Today I have been notified my new unit will be delivered tomorrow

Obviously very impressed with Garmin's after care service. Just hope that the new unit is OK. I'll keep you posted

Mike

Must give Garmin some credit.

I contacted them in early May and reported that my Nav 6 was going though all the faults mentioned on here....ghosting. freezing, zooming out to show the entire globe, shimmering icons and hard starting in the cradle. It took hours to download routes from Basecamp as it constantly showed an error. When I finally did get the maps onto the unit it would freeze whilst importing the files

Garmin immediately offered me a new unit (not refurbished...a totally new unit!) even though I was the second owner (bought off this site) and 3 years old. I couldn't take up the offer immediately as I was going on tour to Greece before the expected delivery of the replacement. On the tour I cleaned the screen and removed the battery for a few minutes most nights. A pain I know but the 6 behaved itself for 99% of the time only freezing for about 5 minutes on 3 occasions and hard starting itself once

On Tuesday 7 June I finally got around to returning the unit using Garmin's free postage. Today I have been notified my new unit will be delivered tomorrow

Obviously very impressed with Garmin's after care service. Just hope that the new unit is OK. I'll keep you posted

Mike

Better result than I had, 2.5 years old, had to pay £150 for a refurbished unit. But sold it now and bought an XT

Back
Top Bottom