Wedgetail

monoi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have installed the wedgetail ignition system but I now have some backfiring....

I did as the video: lined up the cam on the engine horizontally, lined up the can with the cam horizontal and low, inserted the cam and turned it full clockwise. Then I lined the S mark in the hole, and turned the cam until I got the trigger and the other light turn on.

The bike starts but I get backfiring as soon as I accelerate so I assume the timing is off.

Any advice please as I need it ready for wednesday!

I have the wedgetail twin plug model as I have twin plugs.

The bike was working fine before that.

I'm not at home with limited resources....

If I remember correctly from when I fitted mine..
Have it fitted, but loose, line up “s” mark, then turn the trigger until ONE light comes on only….
Re read the instructions …. I haven’t got them to hand….but I think it’s only one light needs to come on to get the timing correct.

I don’t have twin plugged heads, so not sure if it’s different for the twin plug model.

If I move the can whilst the engine is running a little bit either way, could I get the timing right? Or is it more involved than that?

If I move the can whilst the engine is running a little bit either way, could I get the timing right? Or is it more involved than that?
Yes it is more involved You really need a timing light to do it right Get it too advanced it will ping too retarded it will lose power and do you really want to go for a ride with the front cover off to test the theory ?

If you know the old stuff is good and you say that you need the bike ??

Refit the old stuff and wait until you have a timing light to revisit the Wedgetail or drop them a Tech enquiry ?

Monoi - do you want to flog your old bean can ?
Im looking for a hall sensor type to carry as a spare to carry on my trip to Spain.

If you’ve no access to a strobe light,
Get the motor up to temp and at idle move the “ bean can” clockwise/anti clockwise until the revs increase as high as they will go,
Try it like that and see if the backfiring goes away.
If the motor starts pinking turn the can slightly clockwise till it stops it (will involve a few test rides)
Quick question though,has anything else been changed or adjusted?
Why did you decide to fit the system,an atttempt to fix a running issue?

I had no trouble installing mine, but my friends one caused his bike to run rough.
The unit was returned to Motobins who verified that it was faulty. A replacement was issued and the bike runs silky smooth now.
Both were single plugged heads.

Just a thought - they are sensitive to quality HT leads. I fitted one in a mates that had cheapo HT leads and caps, it ran like shit, even when timed correctly. New leads and plug caps and it was smooth as you like.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I have refitted the original system (thankfully I had made a mark where the can was fitted) and its running well again. I'll take a strobe to Morocco to make sure it's timed exactly.

Because I was pressed for time and I didn't have a strobe light (it's hard to find as well nowadays!), I did not try to adjust it. The HT leads work fine with the original setup, why would they stop working with the wedgetail?

I wanted to change as a preventative measure, no other reason.

I'm going to call Motobins and see what they say. I have a twin plug setup so maybe that has something to do with it.

Electronic ignition requires a stable resistance from the HT lead and plug gap to operate correctly. Whereas points are much less fussy.

Frustrated as well. In installing one last week the lights illuminated as I turned the can but I couldn't get to the point where only the one stayed on. Turned off the ignition, waited 5 minutes, tried again, and this time no lights. Repeated and got both lights to flicker a couple times then dark again regardless of movement. Repeated and I stoped rotating as soon as just the one light illuminated, key off, snugged the can, key back on and no light. Hit the starter and no spark from the plugs. Key off, loosen the nut and rotate can full clockwise, key on and rotate slowly anti clockwise, no lights. Try again and this time as rotating see 2 lights, 1 light, stop and light goes out before I can snug the nut, but I snugged it in place anyway. Wait a few minutes with key off, hit starter and no lights or spark.
Vendor I bought it from is sending me a new unit.

I thought I only needed the trigger light to come on, regardless of the controller light? The latter will go off after 3 seconds anyway.

Just wondering if someone knows whether the twin plugging timing should be the same as the standard timing, using the original can?

Additional question: is the advance 0 when timing at idle speed, using the S mark?

Back
Top Bottom