What’s the difference between a track and a route?

Tinytim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Questions you always wanted to ask but we're too afraid and embarrassed to show ones ignorance but hey ho, I'll bite the bullet so here goes...:blush

What's a route, compared with a track please?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a route, compared with a track please?

Simple / basic answer:

A route is generally, a pre-planned or device generated journey, either A to B, or from A to B, via defined intermediate points. As a rule, routes will also contain data which will allow a GPS device to give visual or audible instructions. For example, “At the roundabout, take the second exit”.

Tracks fall into two categories.

1. A recording, made by the GPS of the roads ridden. Think of it like an electronic trail of breadcrumbs.

2. A line on a GPS device‘s map screen, rather like a highlighter pen, run over a paper map. These are navigable, in the sense that the device will show both the vehicle’s position on the map screen, along with the line of the track and (on some devices) scroll the map as the journey progresses. Unlike routes, tracks generally contain no visual or audible instructions.

Routes are most often used where there are obvious roads to drive along. Tracks, most often when there are no roads (for instance, a desert) or on the so called ‘trails’ which do not feature on most day-to-day electronic maps.

Last edited:
Unlike routes, tracks generally contain no visual or audible instructions.
Simple / basic answer:

A route is generally, a pre-planned or device generated journey, either A to B, or from A to B, via defined intermediate points. As a rule, routes will also contain data which will allow a GPS device to give visual or audible instructions. For example, “At the roundabout, take the second exit”.

Tracks fall into two categories.

1. A recording, made by the GPS of the roads ridden. Think of it like an electronic trail of breadcrumbs.

2. A line on a GPS device‘s map screen, rather like a highlighter pen, run over a paper map. These are navigable, in the sense that the device will show both the vehicle’s position on the map screen, along with the line of the track and (on some devices) scroll the map as the journey progresses. Unlike routes, tracks generally contain no visual or audible instructions.

Routes are most often used where there are obvious roads to drive along. Tracks, most often when there are no roads (for instance, a desert) or on the so called ‘trails’ which do not feature on most day-to-day electronic maps.
Well bugger me. :blast That's great thanks.
I struggled with point 2 and it took a couple of reads until the penny finally dropped with the last sentence:

Unlike routes, tracks generally contain no visual or audible instructions.

Thanks Wapping. :thumb

(So, what is the point of a track? )

In the main, tracks are very useful for a number of reasons.

a. Recording where you have been, especially if you ever need to backtrack or simply as a record of where you went.

b. All but essential when navigating across featureless or roadless terrain.

c. Sharing between people, as tracks do not alter. But, that is not quite true. Whilst tracks do not alter and remain fixed. they can be converted very easily into routes. The route that is created from a track may not always match the track exactly. The reasons why they might vary between each other, might depend on a number of factors, probably beyond the scope of this enquiry. The good thing though is that most app’s and devices will still retain the original unaltered track, as a back-up.

d. Some users exploit many GP devices’ ability to display a route and track simultaneously. They find this useful, should they ever (by design, purpose or by accident) go ‘off-route’ as it helps them navigate their way back onto the route they have deviated away from.

Tracks drop a breadcrumb with any significant change of vector - this includes altitude - so is a 3D trail of where you have been.

Routes are only 2D.

Tracks drop a breadcrumb with any significant change of vector - this includes altitude - so is a 3D trail of where you have been.

Routes are only 2D.
My Memory Map routes include altitude and there's a tick box to enable elevation profile and change climb rates when estimating duration of a planned route.

Yup, tracks can record all sorts of things. Speed, lean angles, heights, acceleration and deceleration measured in G force. Some will even record how often the brakes were applied and the ‘stopped’ time. Things of great wonder.

Thanks again Wapping. One more then; Soooo your Satnav has recorded a trip/journey/unplanned route that's called a track ffs's that you've done from A to B So, can you then for example say "I enjoyed that, I think I'll go back that way but I'm fekked if I can remember the way" :blast Can you then reverse that "track" on your Satnav and follow the "track" from B back to A ? :nenau

Obvs asking for a friend. I should be so stupide :D

Greg....altitude and vector speak goes whoosh in my world. Perleeeerase. ;)

By Jove, I think he’s got it.

Yes, you can reverse a track.

Some GPS devices allow you to simply reverse the track. Others demand that you convert the track into a route, but the devices ask first: A to B or B to A.

Is that ^^^^^^^ the same as choosing a Track that you‘d like to follow as described above?

Last time I looked at a Track I was considering following, I was asked if I’d like to go Start to Finish or Finish to Start.

Last time I looked at a Track I was considering following, I was asked if I’d like to go Start to Finish or Finish to Start.

That is the message that pops up when you ask the device to convert a track into a route, in order to make it navigable ie. turn instructions.

Thanks Wapping. :thumb

(So, what is the point of a track? )
Tracks are very useful for trail riding as you’re not likely to get an instruction from the SatNav saying “turn left at the next rhododendron bush on the right!”

For an off-road route it’s helpful to know where you are on the map and where the intended path you should take is - remember it may not be immediately obvious! The big disadvantage of a track is you can’t always tell what direction you should be riding in, so sometimes you can go around a loop the opposite way to that intended by the person who put the route together. So that difficult descent, becomes an impossible climb :D

Many Nav apps will have options for showing direction arrows or not. Very useful for the reasons described above by Toddmeister. You also usually have the option to reverse the track which really just turns the arrows around and swaps start and finish. Or you can not do anything and just follow it backwards.

Back
Top Bottom