Won’t crank off the button

Michaelwhy

Reaction score
Hi all

I am currently rebuilding what was a tatty 2003 1150 GS, it’s been fully stripped, repainted and I am busy reassembling. I am at the stage where the wiring harness is back in and this is where I have run into problems

I push the start button and nothing happens.

When the key is turned I get the dash lights and when the tank is fitted I hear the pump priming. All the lights, indicators work ok

A previous owner removed all the abs electrics seems to be a fairly pro job and the bike has ran like this before the strip down

I broke the gear sensor and lost one of the 3 pins so I am getting the green neutral light but the rid is saying gear 4 . New one on the way. But I didn’t think this was in the starting circuit so shouldn’t prevent it cranking

If I turn the engine stop switch I can hear a relay click and again when moved back to the on position

If I jump the starter motor from the large positive bolt to the small black spade on the solenoid the bike cranks just fine, it also is sparking and I can smell fuel so looks like coil and injection side is all ok, but have not tried with the tank connected or spark plugs fitted yet

So everything looks ok apart from something in the starting circuit, would the gear selector switch tell the ecu not to start or what else is in that circuit that the ecu checks before sending the signal to the starter, side stand switch seems ok as does the clutch switch. I was under the impression if the clutch was in then it would start either in gear or with the side stand down so even if these were faulty it wouldn’t prevent it from cranking off the button

Any thoughts on where to look or what sensors would prevent the button from sending the start signal

Cheers
Mike

Just found another post where someone shared photos of the relay terminals so will try and see if I am getting 12v coming from the start button to the relay

I can't help as electrics are weird magic to me but welcome and I wish you luck.

If the side stand is down and the bike is showing it’s in gear it won’t turn over….. If it’s in gear (or it thinks it’s in gear, as in your case) it won’t turn over, unless the clutch is pulled in. But the clutch switch has to be working otherwise it still won’t turn over, and the clutch switch isn’t very reliable so try bypassing it and seeing if it turns over.

Reading your symptoms, As you say you have a neutral light and the pump primes, then the bike thinks it’s in neutral, so my money would be on either the button or the starter relay.

The relay clicking when you operate the kill switch sounds like the motronic relay.

Pulling the clutch in would only work if the clutch microswitch was serviceable.

Putting your finger on the starter relay when you press the start button should tell you if the relay is being powered or not

You can test for the button power at the relay. You can also jump across the relay contacts.

I posted how to check the start button and how to bypass the start relay some time ago.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/581600-05-1150-gsa-not-starting

Post 7 and 8.

Thanks all found it, the wire from the starter switch to the relay was broken. It looks like whoever removed the abs had taped that wire in a place it wasn’t meant to be so was tighter and I assume as I have been moving the loom around to get it out and back in again it’s snapped it

The loom is in poor condition so as I have cut into it to find the wire I might as well strip it back , check everything and retape it all

Back
Top Bottom