WTF! Mystery bevel box leak solved

jez

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For a fair old time now my 1100 has suffered from a mysterious oil leek from the area around the front/top half of the bevel box. I've had the boot off to check the seal in the drive shaft end or to see if the gearbox output seal had gone but all was dry I've taken the back wheel off and found oil around the big outer seal so i duly replaced this and checked the main bearing as per Steptoes instructions on here thinking great problem solved. having done 40 miles or so and still found oil appearing on the outside of the box I decided to look closer only to find the oil was coming from around the ABS sensor so i removed the sensor and found this!! I have no idea how this has happened but it appears that something has contracted inside the metal cylinder and distorted it as there is mo sign of human intervention in the past. As the sensor passes through the bevel box it is open to the internals and oil and is sealed at either end by an "O"ring. The "O"rings obviously won't work on a distorted cylinder so i now have a new (used) unit fitted from Motorworks which has a plastic body to it as opposed to the metal of the older models and all appears fine now.
The moral of the story is if you have a leak in your bevel box don't forget to check your ABS sensor too!!:thumb

Attachments

• abs sensor.jpg
    abs sensor.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 214
is it possible that your bevel box vent is/has been blocked and the box pressurised? it looks like there has either been a vacuum in the sensor or high pressure surrounding it.

Possibly in the past I guess but the vent is clear currently.

Back
Top Bottom