Verns Quick Release Panniers

Popeye

Reaction score
Had some time on my hands so thought I'd have a play around with some DZUS quarter turn fasteners and see if I could come up with a QR solution for Vern’s Worldbeaters.

The Dzus receptacles need to be pressed into the stainless steel frames. This can be done easily enough with a couple of old sockets and an engineers vice.

sp031.jpg

The DZUS Studs then pass through the panniers into the frames.

sp029.jpg

I figured five DZUS fasteners per pannier should be enough.

sp027.jpg

I retained the original bolt / mount at the bottom for security.

sp033.jpg

With five DZUS fasteners per pannier everything appears to be rock solid.

Nothing has vibrated loose after a quick 150mile blast round some Derbyshire "B" roads. I don't think they would stand up to any really serious off roading but for day to day use - brilliant.

I can now take the panniers off in literally 10 seconds per side and put them back on in 15 seconds.

All the original holes are still there for when I want to bolt them on "properly".

Just need to source some plastic caps fro the back of the receptacles to keep road grime out and some plastic bungs for the original bolt mounting holes to keep the water out.

Total cost about £25:00 :thumb2

How are these fasteners holding up so far. And have you got around to waterproofing them yet.

So far so good.

No issues at all with vibrations and the DZUS fastners coming undone.

I've got some rubber caps on trial fitted to the back of the DZUS sockets to keep the muck out. Seem to be doing a good job.

Trying some tapered silicone plugs which push into the original pannier mounting holes from inside the pannier, which creates the watertight seal. With them being tapered they are smaller than the mounting hole in the frame so pass through easily. The plugs stay pressed into the pannier, if that makes sense.

I don't think flexing is going to be an issue, but it does depend on how much weight you put in them and how bumpy the ride is going to be.

If it became a problem I think a large "penny" washer under the DZUS fastner would help, ala Vern's big ally washers. Failing that pop in a couple of easy to get to original fixings just to firm it all up a bit.

But for general day to day use, which I wanted the mod for, brilliant.

If you want any part numbers or the supplier details let me know.

Found this again from your FS thread (Have an indirect BUMP) and was wondering....are the receptacles that you pressed into the pannier rails aluminium or steel?

They would be my only worry.....pulling out or becoming loose with big temp changes and different expansion rates, but if they were steel they could have a tack weld on the back :nenau

They're actually Brass with a steel cap on the back.
I really don't think you will have any issues with them pulling out.
I've a couple of spares knocking around. If you want one to have a look at drop me a pm with your addy and I'll stick one in the post for you.

Resurrecting this post as I'm looking for a quick release solution for my verns panniers. (Thanks Vern for the steer)

Popeye I take it you didn't have any problems using the Dzus fixings? where did you source them from, I know there are other suppliers but I want to use the same spec as you did.
Thanks.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom