Right leg under thigh getting cooked

Maybe the plaster is the solution, but I’ll wait for BMW to come up with a solution. Maybe a simple change in fuel mapping will do ...

Yep my thoughts also, hence the sensors throwing wobblies, but plaster is a good solution for the moment.

Just been to Venice & back. (18 GSA) and i remembered this post as the temp gauge hit 35. No heat at all noticed. But could feel it when stationary and the fan cuts in.

Shield arrived today & fitted in about 2 minutes. Wont get chance to try it out before the weekend, but will report back then.

My Bikes a late 2016 TE so a Euro 4.

I've never had a problem with heat from the engine, but last Wednesday I travelled 70 miles home from work in 34°C on the M25. I noticed the back of my right thigh was getting hot as were both feet and shins. I was wearing bike jeans and the heat of off the engine heads was the causing of my shins and feet getting hot and I believe the end can was the cause of the back of my thigh getting hot. It wasn't painful, just uncomfortable.

When I stopped the right side rear portion of the frame was hot as was the exhaust end can. I've never noticed this before but I it was a very hot day. It was most noticeable at 70mph.
When I spoke to the wife she did say her right thigh gets warm when she is pillion on the bike.

At this moment I don't see this as a problem, the exhaust is going to get hot during normal use, but that heat cant dissipate on such hot days, and even with a vented mesh jacket, jeans and vented gloves I was uncomfortably hot.

I have same problem on a 2018 GSA with Mudsling - sitting on motorway its very noticeable but A roading not really. Came from a 2015GSA with Mudsling where I did not have this problem. Maybe unrelated - my bike has had delamination of numberplate on right side - dealer advised either a manu defect or No. plate fitted too close of exhaust. Number plate is centred and looks correct in terms of central position on bike. I have been doing extended (3+ hours without a stop) running of late (jn hot weather) which may also be part of the cause although you would not expect this to cause a problem on a bike designed to cover miles.

......, however bet nobody complains in the winter.

I think in the winter it will be worse. Think about it, at the moment every other part of your body is fairly warm too, Wait till the weather is freezing and my leg will feel like its about to spontaneously combust!!

I - my bike has had delamination of numberplate on right side - dealer advised either a manu defect or No. plate fitted too close of exhaust. Number plate is centred and looks correct in terms of central position on bike.

The number plate, if it's a standard legal GB item, is in the same place as every other GS number plate when it first leaves the dealer. Unless an owner has done something different with the plate, how could it get closer to the exhaust? The dealer response has to be absolute tosh.

Shield arrived today & fitted in about 2 minutes. Wont get chance to try it out before the weekend, but will report back then.

OK I went out for a run this morning and the shield does make a difference. It doesn't eliminate the heat on the legs completely, however whereas before it was uncomfortable now barely noticeable.

OK I went out for a run this morning and the shield does make a difference. It doesn't eliminate the heat on the legs completely, however whereas before it was uncomfortable now barely noticeable.

Good to know, now to find why it is so hot something is not right.

My 2018 GS was in for a service and the issue has been taken up with BMW as for me it’s almost unrideable on the motorway, although fine at a standstill and sub-40mph. I was told that Euro 4 bikes run hot and using super fuel (e.g. Shell V-Power) make it run hotter. Of course it’s far worse in the recent heatwave but it ran very hot even when temps were below 20C. I’ll report back if anything comes of it. My ‘15 RS has some heat but much less, hardly noticeable.

I'll stop using the posh fuels in future:thumb

we'er sitting on top of an internal combustion engine ffs :blast

My 2018 GS was in for a service and the issue has been taken up with BMW as for me it’s almost unrideable on the motorway, although fine at a standstill and sub-40mph. I was told that Euro 4 bikes run hot and using super fuel (e.g. Shell V-Power) make it run hotter. Of course it’s far worse in the recent heatwave but it ran very hot even when temps were below 20C. I’ll report back if anything comes of it. My ‘15 RS has some heat but much less, hardly noticeable.

Maybe BMW will start offering these below soon with all new bikes, that cannot use good fuel.

Wonder if hilltopping will make it run cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone else has suggested I wonder if it isn’t the cat that’s the issue as that sits in the perfect spot to radiate heat up to your right thigh.
My bike has about 2500 km up on it now and the cat is still shiney silver - except at one spot at the back near where it joins the link pipe up to the end can, at that point it is deeply blued about the size of a tennis ball.
Perhaps the cat has changed for Euro 4 and the design is creating a hotspot.

Perhaps the cat has changed for Euro 4 and the design is creating a hotspot.

Not on my Euro 4 it isn't. This is not a case of "they all do that, Sir" because they don't all do it. For me it follows that there's something wrong with the ones that do.

Back
Top Bottom