Right leg under thigh getting cooked

The pipes and exhaust have always been hot, from day1. I was told it was the euro4 emissions and lived with it for 12 months......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If your bike has cooled of after the adjustments this spells sloppy work at the production line...

While sloppy work is not a good thing, at least we may appreciate that the setting will not change after it has been set.
But disappointing that the dealer did not check this the first time. After all, the dealer is the professional in this matter.

Sometimes I get the feeling that after the introduction of the diagnostic systems the basic checks that the computers can not catch are being ignored. If the computer says ok, then it is ok. The smoke and the rattle is blamed on the weather and God willing...

If your bike has cooled of after the adjustments this spells sloppy work at the production line...

While sloppy work is not a good thing, at least we may appreciate that the setting will not change after it has been set.
But disappointing that the dealer did not check this the first time. After all, the dealer is the professional in this matter.

Sometimes I get the feeling that after the introduction of the diagnostic systems the basic checks that the computers can not catch are being ignored. If the computer says ok, then it is ok. The smoke and the rattle is blamed on the weather and God willing...
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1002419#Post1002419

Will be asking all the questions when collect the bike....

As you know, cam timing was one of my suspicions. I would be very concerned about this problem and long term engine reliability. What’s been happening is that the tail end of combustion has been occurring on the back side of the exhaust valve and in the header.

Just my observation on this subject from someone who up until last weekend didn’t know what you were all talking about . I normally ride with leather trousers which are tucked into my boots and have never had an issue with heat but last weekend I started wearing some textile trousers that go over my boots and I did notice heat coming up my leg especially in traffic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just my observation on this subject from someone who up until last weekend didn’t know what you were all talking about . I normally ride with leather trousers which are tucked into my boots and have never had an issue with heat but last weekend I started wearing some textile trousers that go over my boots and I did notice heat coming up my leg especially in traffic

Did you look at what your engine temp was in the trafffic Dave, I do notice the bike gets a tad hotter in traffic and when the weather is hot, and virtually at standstill for a minute or 2 , it can jump to 93 but then the fan kicks in, but when on the road again, engine temp drops down to lower 80,s in Celsius

Did you look at what your engine temp was in the trafffic Dave, I do notice the bike gets a tad hotter in traffic and when the weather is hot, and virtually at standstill for a minute or 2 , it can jump to 93 but then the fan kicks in, but when on the road again, engine temp drops down to lower 80,s in Celsius

No, sorry I didn’t as I didn’t think much about it at the time as I haven’t really been following this thread. Outside temperature was about 22 degrees.

No, sorry I didn’t as I didn’t think much about it at the time as I haven’t really been following this thread. Outside temperature was about 22 degrees.

Well think you will be fine dave, as heat rises if you have your lighter textile trousers over your boots, you will feel some warm air , just the same as cooler air comes up when riding, in traffic the bike does get a lot warmer, but radiators help a lot, coming from an air cooled Harley 103 engine, that was hot in stalled traffic.

Fan kicks in at 100C on my bike and typically drops the temp down to about 95 at which point the fan turns off again.

Mine is booked to go in to Coopers at Tunbridge Wells next Thursday for them to investigate (together with a TFT update).

Let's see what they say. From the reaction of the guy on the service desk I think they are not surprised that people are bringing them in with this issue.

Mine is booked to go in to Coopers at Tunbridge Wells next Thursday for them to investigate (together with a TFT update).

Let's see what they say. From the reaction of the guy on the service desk I think they are not surprised that people are bringing them in with this issue.

Can you pm me your name and reg, im keeping track of this issue as BMW say there isn't one! I'll send you mine too.

Gentlemen, correct me if I'm wrong.

I got the impression that the issue was identified to be caused by the camshafts slightly out of alignment, and the realignment solved the problem?

What was the outcome, Nigel?

What was the outcome, Nigel?

The bike is still with them.

The left hand side of the bike is running about 50 degrees hotter than the right. The have changed everything they can think of but are fitting a new throttle body to that side in case that is the problem.

I took mine this week 26-9-18 to Hilltop for an independent opinion. I wanted Geoff to put it on their rolling road and give a full report on fuelling mixtures, temps etc but after only 30 seconds with a thermal imaging camera (before we even got to the dyno) he told me (and showed me) that the cat had failed. It should have been a smooth colour (even temperature) but was blotchy and patchy with big hot spots. This was at just 2500rpm, at 3500rpm it got worse. This showed that the internals of the cat had broken down and were restricting the flow and building up heat which is being emitted near the foot rest. This will be magnified under engine load which is why they seem perfectly fine ticking over in the BMW workshop but get really hot on A roads and motorways.

I went straight to Pidcocks from Hilltop and reported this to them. I also contacted Rachel at BMW UK and reported the findings to her. It is now booked in with Pidcocks for "further investigation" even though I have told them the problem. I now expect the exhaust system to be replaced at the very least...... but I bet it's not. :banghead:

I'm getting really pissed off now as this was reported July 11th and still not sorted.

I've updated in BMW Customer Services.

and so it continues........

PS Thanks For the PM's people :beerjug: (you know who you are) hope its good ammo for you at your dealers too!

I took mine this week 26-9-18 to Hilltop for an independent opinion. I wanted Geoff to put it on their rolling road and give a full report on fuelling mixtures, temps etc but after only 30 seconds with a thermal imaging camera (before we even got to the dyno) he told me (and showed me) that the cat had failed. It should have been a smooth colour (even temperature) but was blotchy and patchy with big hot spots. This was at just 2500rpm, at 3500rpm it got worse. This showed that the internals of the cat had broken down and were restricting the flow and building up heat which is being emitted near the foot rest. This will be magnified under engine load which is why they seem perfectly fine ticking over in the BMW workshop but get really hot on A roads and motorways.

I went straight to Pidcocks from Hilltop and reported this to them. I also contacted Rachel at BMW UK and reported the findings to her. It is now booked in with Pidcocks for "further investigation" even though I have told them the problem. I now expect the exhaust system to be replaced at the very least...... but I bet it's not. :banghead:

I'm getting really pissed off now as this was reported July 11th and still not sorted.

I've updated in BMW Customer Services.

and so it continues........

PS Thanks For the PM's people :beerjug: (you know who you are) hope its good ammo for you at your dealers too!

It certainly sounds like it is the CAT not the one that meows, in South Africa many complaints, and as soon as one guy put Remus header on the bike, all the heat went away, so has to be the CAT, however I am not saying to do this on a bike under warranty, otherwise they will surely void your warranty on the spot, also there is talk about BMW installing 2016 headers on the bikes affected with heat, and it resolves the problem, so it must be a different CAT inside, causing the problem.

http://bmwmotorradclubcape.co.za/1200gs-lc-heat-problem

Hi All,

I am still waiting for feedback from BMW SA but have take things in my own hands to get this resolved. On our return trip from the Africa Bike week in EL was it between 33 and 34 Deg on some places. The right hand side of my bike was getting so warm that I have to stop to regularly and that was when I decided enough is enough. I ordered a set of Remus headers from Remus SA and fitted it to the bike removing the CAT.

I can now tell you that I do not have any heat issues anymore and my bike pulls now like a train. Very happy with it and with the service I was getting from Deon at Remus SA.

So, my bike will now stay like this UNTIL BMW can resolve this problem.

Kind Regards.

Back
Top Bottom