My Route To R1150GS Ownership, And My First Impressions Now That I Have One

So Airhawk beats aftermarket "comfort" seats like Touratech, Wunderlich, Sargent, etc? I'll look into Airhawk tonight.

I enjoyed reading about your route to R1150GS ownership. :)

My R1150GS Adventure puts a huge smile on my face. It's just perfect for the type of riding I like to do. Not only do I enjoy riding it, I enjoy thinking about riding it. I went to Kerry over the weekend to get the photo rally point there. Yesterday when I was driving to work, I enjoyed thinking back over the weekend and remembering the roads I traveled and how much I enjoyed riding the GS. :)

I also found my right hand took a while to get used to the throttle of the GS. The grip is much wider than that on Jap bikes, which I think takes getting used to. When I was in Morocco recently, I rented a Honda XR250 Tornado and my right hand got tired from gripping the narrow throttle because I'm now used to the wider grip on the GS.

Read this with interest thanks! My first GS arrives next Wednesday after a long history of Japanese 4's and the odd twin. I'm already raiding the Motorworks site and the Tourtech catalogue for bits. I had 4 decent bikes to choose from and the deciding factor between them was about to be luggage. The best bike didn't have any fitted. On reflection, I did the Motorrad in Garmish a few years ago (On my Yam Thunderace) using just a tailpack and a tankbag and had stuff I never wore, so I've ended up with an 02 1150, 11k on the clock, 1 owner from new with no panniers fitted.

Being a shortarse, I'm just hoping I don't need a feckin ladder next week as I haven't even sat on the bike yet!

Picked up my 02 plated R1150GS today in Bradford and rode it home via the M62 and Death Valley. Not the most pleasant of rides on a day in which the crosswinds were horrendous. At one point, an R1 joined the motorway in front of me and immediately dropped to 50 as he struggled to keep it in the nearside lane. I breezed past at 70, solid and planted.

I've never ridden a GS before, in fact thinking about it, apart from a CX500 a loooong time ago, I've never ridden a twin, my past rides all being fours. I've got mixed feelings tonight. The bike was a great find and only has 22k on the clock - I spoke to the only previous owner earlier and the bike had been unused for 3 years. Apart from a little flaky paint on the side of the gearbox and a small split on the front 'beak', I can't find anything wrong with it. It's had a shiny new MOT and has brand new Anakee's fitted. It had a £700 service before being laid up. Being vertically challenged I was a little worried it might be a tad tall for me, but I can get the balls of both feet down :thumb2

It's a little vibey but pulls well, drops into corners nicely and plods along well on the motorway with no drama. On the minus side, Aaaaaaaaargh, the feckin indicators! :) I'm sure I'll get used in time. I also miss the headlight flash I've had on my other bikes and the heated grips are OK but a little weak. I've found the occasional false neutral in 1st and once in 4th strangely enough.

I like it, but it's not love at first ride. Part of me keeps thinking "Should have bought a K series". Time will tell, I hope it'll grow on me.

I've never ridden a GS before, in fact thinking about it,
I like it, but it's not love at first ride. Part of me keeps thinking "Should have bought a K series". Time will tell, I hope it'll grow on me.

Just before Christmas 2004 I flew over to Newcastle to pick up my 1150. Riding west on the A69 and A75 I wondered what the feck I had just done. Like many here I had spent years on fours and the GS was so very different.
It took me a couple of months to get used to her and to then put my 1200 Bandit up for sale, but now twelve years and 100,000 miles later I still have her.
Give her a wee bit of time lad, it will come. :thumb2

I too have become a recent 1150 owner and like a few of you have come from Japanese four cylinder bikes, namely an FJ1200 which I had for a few years and currently a ZZR1100, must admit when I first opened the throttle I did wonder if I was going to gel with the bike or not, but after a couple of rides exploring unclassified roads i find I am really taking to it. As has been said once you get used to them they have enough power, just that bit different and the handling on the crappy road surfaces we have in the UK is different class to the ZZR.

I too have become a recent 1150 owner and like a few of you have come from Japanese four cylinder bikes, namely an FJ1200 which I had for a few years and currently a ZZR1100, must admit when I first opened the throttle I did wonder if I was going to gel with the bike or not, but after a couple of rides exploring unclassified roads i find I am really taking to it. As has been said once you get used to them they have enough power, just that bit different and on the plus side handling on the crappy road surfaces we have in the UK is different class to the ZZR.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Picked up my 02 plated R1150GS today in Bradford and rode it home via the M62 and Death Valley. Not the most pleasant of rides on a day in which the crosswinds were horrendous. At one point, an R1 joined the motorway in front of me and immediately dropped to 50 as he struggled to keep it in the nearside lane. I breezed past at 70, solid and planted.

I've never ridden a GS before, in fact thinking about it, apart from a CX500 a loooong time ago, I've never ridden a twin, my past rides all being fours. I've got mixed feelings tonight. The bike was a great find and only has 22k on the clock - I spoke to the only previous owner earlier and the bike had been unused for 3 years. Apart from a little flaky paint on the side of the gearbox and a small split on the front 'beak', I can't find anything wrong with it. It's had a shiny new MOT and has brand new Anakee's fitted. It had a £700 service before being laid up. Being vertically challenged I was a little worried it might be a tad tall for me, but I can get the balls of both feet down :thumb2

It's a little vibey but pulls well, drops into corners nicely and plods along well on the motorway with no drama. On the minus side, Aaaaaaaaargh, the feckin indicators! :) I'm sure I'll get used in time. I also miss the headlight flash I've had on my other bikes and the heated grips are OK but a little weak. I've found the occasional false neutral in 1st and once in 4th strangely enough.

The indicators are brilliant once you get used to them. I hate standard indicators now. Your bike does have a flash facility, the high beam button rocks both ways, forward for full beam, middle for low beam and sprung backwards for flash, dead simple.
The gearbox, mmm, learn to preload the gear lever. Before you change lift your toe a little before you pull in the clutch and give it a full click in to gear...no more missed gears.

They are quirky, but once you learn their foibles you will find them slow, bulky, mechanical and crude, that is to say a real motorcycling experience which rewards those prepared to put in the time. 1200's are for lazy cnuts :D

I also have just pur chased an 1150gs.
I have similar views to an extent.
I had a 1100gs a few years ago. Quite hated it. Decided to have another go.
Huge, heavy, unwieldy.
Good road presence.
Tbh, at this point in time I am not gelling with it.
I suppose it is not as rider friendly as a Jap bike. It is laden with panniers and a top box which may not help. I will put several miles on it this week, see how it goes. If nothing improves in a couple of weeks it may be up on here for sale, eek
Even er indoors said "why the furd did you buy another one of those"?

Just seen this - brilliant post! Fantastically honest and I love the way you didn't even try to explain why you decided to give it another go. Still, some people marry the same woman twice - maybe even if they're huge, heavy and unwieldy :D

So how are you getting on with it now? Or is it gone already?

Back
Top Bottom