GS STOLEN - WARNING

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tale of woe follows.

One of my GS Riding buddies text me last night to tell me his bike had been stolen from outside a Hospital in Birmingham West Midlands UK... but thankfully recovered by a plain clothed detective in unmarked car who part witnessed the event while they were in the process of dismantling it by the side of a canal, he then confronted the thieves. Unfortunately they escaped.

The extremely worrying part is his BMW GS was stolen outside a HOSPITAL parked in between Ambulances and Police Cars at 3 O'Clock in the afternoon. Broad Daylight and the cheek of it.

They were on SCOOTERS, broke his steering lock, removed his rear seat, removed his panniers and immobiliser dumping everything except the bike.

IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU. LOCK IT UP. EVERY TIME. No matter where in the country you are, even if it's just on your driveway! :rob

Although I had spoken with him about the security I'd adopted, he hadn't got around to doing his yet. Now he wished he had.

He's now got to decide how he get's his bike back in working order as it will be a fault claim on his insurance if he goes that way.

HEADS UP, Just saying.... :beerjug:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/454309-Bike-Security-Pragmasis-Chain?highlight=pragmasis

Is it the jet washed and corroded one?

There is a joke somewhere, or you skipped breakfast or you just need sex with a proper women/man:nenau. What a rosey fuck has a stolen bike has to do with corrosion :duno

There is a joke somewhere, or you skipped breakfast or you just need sex with a proper women/man:nenau. What a rosey fuck has a stolen bike has to do with corrosion :duno

Nothing, but just asking

GS's get stolen now, more regularly now they're popular

Shit happens, lock it up and do your best.............if it happens just claim on your insurance it's only metal and plastic and not a precious loved one, like a family member

Why will it be a fault claim? Had he declared to his insurer that it would be locked up etc but wasn't?..

Why will it be a fault claim? Had he declared to his insurer that it would be locked up etc but wasn't?..

Because he can't claim off another Insured Party. So because he's claiming off his own Insurance it's classed as a Fault Claim and his Premiums will go up because of it. Regardless if he has Protected No Claims or not.

If a claim is made, someone is at Fault. If you can't pin it successfully on another insured party then the fault falls on you.

So many conflicts with Insurance like collisions on Roundabouts are always 50/50 unless you have witnesses or video footage.

Thats why I have cameras on my vehicles now

Because he can't claim off another Insured Party. So because he's claiming off his own Insurance it's classed as a Fault Claim and his Premiums will go up because of it. Regardless if he has Protected No Claims or not.

If a claim is made, someone is at Fault. If you can't pin it successfully on another insured party then the fault falls on you.

Cheers. I wasn't aware of the technicalities etc.

I wouldn't worry about the technicalities.
A no fault will put your insurance up too, at least that was my experience when someone drove in to the side if my van.

Pity they didn't catch the scum especially as there was a canal nearby, could of thrown them in with a few bricks in their pockets.

I've bought an additional lock and chain for mine, trouble is they weigh a ton, thrashing and bouncing about in my top box, so I have a chain, disc lock and Abus D lock, plus when in the garage a ground anchor and its bolted to my other bikes, I am being paranoid?:nod

Not in the slightest. Unfortunately if they really want it they will still get it.
All you can do is make it more of a hassle so they might go after a less secure one instead.

I've bought an additional lock and chain for mine, trouble is they weigh a ton, thrashing and bouncing about in my top box, so I have a chain, disc lock and Abus D lock, plus when in the garage a ground anchor and its bolted to my other bikes, I am being paranoid?:nod

Not as much as me !!

My bike now is Ground Anchored on the Driveway, during cooldown and even when I wash it now.

Knowing it takes 10 seconds to snap steering lock, and 10 seconds to push it onto the road, and 10 seconds for an accomplice to get it mobile at speed...

No thanks

After three scrotes tried to steal (lifted it with the chain attached) my Firestorm 10 years ago I've used a ground anchor - now chained down after every ride.

No issues since - fingers crossed.....

Back
Top Bottom