Fit new alternator belt to 1150GSA

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
My alternator belt failed so I need to fit a new one. I'm happy swinging a spanner about (nothing too complex) but I'm after some advice or tips as to how to go about it to make it as painless and trouble free as possible.

I've found a couple of videos on YouTube which make it look simple enough, though the adjuster nut looks in a tight spot and I'm not confident to start removing the tank to get at, if in fact I need to.

Can you get to the adjuster, and install the belt with the bike in tact?

FYI - this is on a 2003 1150 GSA @ 48K

Thanks in advance

Tom

It's really easy to take the tank off.
Remove the seats, pull off the right hand plastic trim panel, disconnect the two breather pipes, disconnect the electrical connector on the right behind the plastic panel you removed and the two fuel lines coming from the tank. Hopefully they will have the quick disconnect connectors. There will be a little fuel spillage so have a rag to hand. One Allen bolt and nut to remove, again on the right side that secures the tank. Lift to tank up and away (this will be easier if you don't have a full tank of course).
Access will be vastly improved and it's a good opportunity to give it all that lurks under the tank a check and clean.
It took me longer to type this than it would to get the tank off.
Make sure you have the correct belt, I set mine so you can turn the belt 90 degrees by hand halfway down the run between the two pulleys.

I don't remember taking my tank off to do this, you may need to move it back slightly if memory serves me rightly. Have a look at this straight forward guide.

If you do move the tank make sure your throttle cables are seated correctly before firing it back up.

CableExample.jpg

Thanks for the info,

I've read the 'turn the belt 90 degrees' approach, though not 100% sure what it means. Are you saying tension the belt so you can twist the belt 90 degrees making an 'S' shape half way up the belt. Do you do this by hand, or use pliers to get enough leverage?

Thanks.

It's a very quick job.
No need to loosen anything.
So long as you have the correct length belt.
Fit belt to top pulley.
Fit belt to lower pulley until its tight.
Turn crank bolt in the direction you want the belt to engage and this will pull the belt on.

Or if you don't have the correct spanner, spin the motor with the start button. (Thanks to Steptoe for these instructions)

..PS, if the belt jumps off using the 2nd option, then fit the belt to suit engine rotation direction.:thumb2:thumb2

It's really easy to take the tank off.
Remove the seats, pull off the right hand plastic trim panel, disconnect the two breather pipes, disconnect the electrical connector on the right behind the plastic panel you removed and the two fuel lines coming from the tank. Hopefully they will have the quick disconnect connectors. There will be a little fuel spillage so have a rag to hand. One Allen bolt and nut to remove, again on the right side that secures the tank. Lift to tank up and away (this will be easier if you don't have a full tank of course).
Access will be vastly improved and it's a good opportunity to give it all that lurks under the tank a check and clean.
It took me longer to type this than it would to get the tank off.
Make sure you have the correct belt, I set mine so you can turn the belt 90 degrees by hand halfway down the run between the two pulleys.

Assuming this GS Adv has the 30l tank, you'll need to disconnect the balance hose QD connector and unthread the pipe from behind the alternator too...

Good advice all round here . Taking the tank off really is s doddle (I literally mean off in under 2min), so I'd suggest you get in there and give it a go. Lots of jobs need the tank off, so you don't want it to be an obstacle.

As Mike O says, the adventure has the link pipe. Your only 'complication' could be that you don't have quick disconnects on the fuel lines. But even this isn't a big deal (just push am 8mm bolt into the house ends).

Back
Top Bottom