Hilltop - is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I had my Africa twin DCT done a few weeks ago and can't notice any difference, unfortunately. And I would have a round trip of about 300 miles to have hilltop put the bike back to standard (if it isn't already) but it's proving very difficult for hilltop to arrange a time slot to fit me in, fully booked up for a good few weeks apparently/unfortunately.. It's a matter of plugging the bike into the laptop for 20 minutes or so, so I wouldn't have thought it that hard.. I appreciate people have great results from Hilltop, but not in my case, and with mine being a DCT that won't work on the rolling road there's no before and after graph to even prove if the ecu flash was completed successfully.

I've just this hour come back from a week touring Scotland with a mate who commented many times that my bike is taking years off his life with its over rich exhaust (aftermarket) fumes, so surely the fueling isn't right..

It's a real shame and a pain in the arse as I took the time and hard earned cash to get the ecu flash done and was expecting good results. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Hi fella, I was the guy with the SC GSA the same day as you, sorry to hear of your woes, you did mention on way home you didn't feel it had worked.
Shame, it has transformed my bike.
Nice to have met you, Baz.

I couldn’t tell the difference either after Hilltop had ‘done’ whatever to my XT1200Z. If you do take it back for a refund, as I did, expect to be made to wait about 3 hours while ‘it’ is removed, along with dire warnings about your bike running dangerously lean, that it’ll blow up, and you may be asked to face Geoff’s cctv cameras to state that you absolve Hilltop of any liability if it does. He’ll then tell you that there will be no record of your bike ever having been to Hilltop.
Seriously?

Presumably you have an invoice to prove is was at Hilltop, should the need ever arise. And in any case if the business is legit they can't just make an invoice 'go away'.

I couldn’t tell the difference either after Hilltop had ‘done’ whatever to my XT1200Z. If you do take it back for a refund, as I did, expect to be made to wait about 3 hours while ‘it’ is removed, along with dire warnings about your bike running dangerously lean, that it’ll blow up, and you may be asked to face Geoff’s cctv cameras to state that you absolve Hilltop of any liability if it does. He’ll then tell you that there will be no record of your bike ever having been to Hilltop.

But you’ll be £350 better off and ride off noting that it feels no different to ride and runs as Honda intended.

whats all that about??.. is it actualy put back to standard... or might it be somewhere close to standard.. so could cause problems?...

You know you can get your “hard earned cash” back - so not sure why you are coming across so “whiny”.
The post doesn't seem 'whiny' at all to me. The guys had his time wasted and, if other posts in this thread are to be believed, Hilltop refunds seem to be managed with rather poor grace.

You know you can get your “hard earned cash” back - so not sure why you are coming across so “whiny”.

WTF! Don't be an arse, I'm trying to be a bit diplomatic without dissing Hilltop, and I'm not "whiny", just stating my experience. Believe me, I very much wanted to be impressed with the result as others are!

Can’t you whip off the ecu and post it to them. Sure they could fit that in within a couple of days. Especially if your progress is listed on various forums.

I'll looking into doing this, no idea how much work it'd be to remove it. Wouldn't purposefully put it on other forums just to put down the lads at Hilltop as I know many others have had great results.

Hi fella, I was the guy with the SC GSA the same day as you, sorry to hear of your woes, you did mention on way home you didn't feel it had worked.
Shame, it has transformed my bike.
Nice to have met you, Baz.

Yeah, good to have met you too, Baz, and really glad you had the results you wanted.

WTF! Don't be an arse, I'm trying to be a bit diplomatic without dissing Hilltop, and I'm not "whiny", just stating my experience. Believe me, I very much wanted to be impressed with the result as others are!

Apologies - I have mis-read you.:blast

Same with a 2014. Now add a pillion and luggage, ride it in the mountains in 4th at 30mph and see what happens.

It's no problem at all.

Of course it goes without saying that when trying to accelerate up a 1:3 would it would be unwise to leave it in 4th at 30mph.

Why you should Hilltop the GS/GSA ......

On the day the bike produced 110 bhp with a significant drop in power at 7500rpm plus the torque curve didn't look good and the power curve looked like a snake coil (this bike was a dealer demo and Geoff suspected it was fettled with by BMW or the dealer, all other machines produce 98 - 105 bhp). After the remap it looked much better but only gained 6 bhp but the torque curve was much flatter and fatter with the snake coils of the power curve smoothed out.

I was disappointed because there wasn't a noticeable difference except from the mid range and willingness to rev out to 8500 rpm. But, I have ridden it in various scenarios loaded and on my own and there is quite a difference now to how the bike behaved. 1st - I had to feather the clutch in 1st and 2nd to get a smooth ride at low speed through town or traffic, that is now gone and you can concentrate on riding the bike. 2nd - when pressing on the engine is much more willing in the upper rev range and dare I say for such a dull bike but it can make you smile, maybe just about. 3rd - and this is probably the most noticeable, for those who take luggage or a pillion or both regularly and ride mountain passes or gnarly roads this has massively increased the ride ability of the bike. Gone is the which gear is best conundrum, hairpins are so much easier to do particularly those steep ones in the passes, throttle response is more immediate but not KTM 1290 good when overtaking no matter if it is 4th or 5th gear, fuel consumption is more or less the same, much better than than expected when we were in the Yorkshire Dales this past weekend, the roll on response is a bit more sharp low to mid throttle and had the missus grabbing for a grip to stop her feet lifting off the pegs so that requires recalibration of the throttle hand to make for a smoother ride.

Overall and after the passing of time and miles I have come to appreciate the subtle differences but if you plan to keep the bike for 3 years or more then it is worth it. If you use the bike as a tool and commute then you probably won't be bothered by such things but it would benefit in town from the remap.

It's no problem at all.

Of course it goes without saying that when trying to accelerate up a 1:3 would it would be unwise to leave it in 4th at 30mph.

The altitude makes quite a difference with the N/A engine of the LC. Usually a gear lower or bigger throttle opening for the same response to where we at in Bedfordshire but the bike doesn't like to labour in town in 4th when you are that high up. But then I'm taking about the Alps or somewhere of similar altitude.

One prefers riding down hill in such circumstances, much more congenial.

Tootle pips chaps.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Oh dear. Must be poor navigation. Revisiting Rosedale Chimney Bank this past weekend :D

The Alps vary somewhat in altitude from place to place - I have ridden 4 different 1200s in the Alps both solo and two-up with luggage and never found them wanting, I have always been able to find a gear that works ;)

A week or two ago my son was in and around Belluno in the Dolomites, he said that almost every motorcycle he saw was a GS :) - I bet not many of them had been 'Hilltopped'.

Who knows, the secret of the Black Magic box ?
The Alps vary somewhat in altitude from place to place - I have ridden 4 different 1200s in the Alps both solo and two-up with luggage and never found them wanting, I have always been able to find a gear that works ;)

A week or two ago my son was in and around Belluno in the Dolomites, he said that almost every motorcycle he saw was a GS :) - I bet not many of them had been 'Hilltopped'.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm not doubting your ability to ride the bike but the GS is lacking in its performance envelope if I can call it that.

Try to ride an older carbureted in the alps.2-up you won't make the taller passes in france without pushing because of thinner air at altitude...:eek:
And yes there is some manipulation going on with the dyno as any 2010 on dohc aircooled boxer makes 100-103 hp at the rearwheel and any 2013 on R1200 LC unit 115-118 rwhp stock !
Don't forget the straight shaftdrive on a boxer has less power loss than any chain...
Of course if you let the dyno read 20 hp low before the update you can tell the customer you gained 20 hp after the update....:D
The placebo effect will do the rest and everyone is happy,Customer who paid to get "more power" and proprietor who got more money...it's all good.
This is how our system works after all...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom