Hilltop - is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting this; need to get my head around some of the expectations.
Don't know if I qualify as independent, but here goes.

My readings are performed by a storage-scope and hooked up to the narrowband O2 sensor in my 2015 GSA LC.

This is a typical reading of an uncorrected engine:

40541376580_c7bcfc47aa_c.jpg

You can easily see that the voltage swings between 0.2V to 0.8V. At 3,75 second mark, I blipped the throttle, and you can see it stays at 0.8 V = AFR 14.0.

The voltage values corsponds to the following AFR values:
I've taken the liberty to borrow this picture from Roger 04RTs advrider article:
24852912707_711974e867_z.jpg

Reading from this graph, 0.8V = AFR 14.0, 0.2V = AFR 16.0.

This means the engine is running average AFR 14.7 - 15.0, Not extreemly lean, but a bit more fuel will do well.

Here is a graph show the O2 sensor reading when O2 is manipulated:

41625718154_f33b00b8e8_c.jpg

Blue curve is reading from O2 sensor, while red curve shows the signal sent to BMS by the AF manipulator.

Now the O2 swings between 0.8 to 0.87 V = AFR 14.0 to 13.6.

This is the setting that stopped the tiny vibrations that I could feel when straining the engine at low RPMs, and for this particular bike with this setting fuel consumption has been reduced by 7% even if fuel saving is not the objective.
If I removed the Cat there would be room for even a bit richer mixture, but I intend to keep the stock muffler. Got so freaken tired of the noisy Acra system.

I also run AF-XIED on my F800, and on that bike the consumption did not change.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Interesting that you say that BMW bikes run 'nicely rich in the real world' - Hilltop seem to claim that GS runs dangerously lean - are they being disingenuous?

When I had my last bike returned to standard at Hilltop I was told that it was running dangerously lean, but when I had it properly remapped at Track Electronics they said it was running rich in much of open loop so they leaned it out quite a bit. Apparently most bikes run rich in open loop because the manufacturers know that we like to add free flow filters and exhausts, so they need to accommodate this and avoid customer dissatisfaction or litigation if problems occur as a result.

In closed loop (up to 5000rpm / 50% throttle in my case), it ran at ~14.5 AFR, like all bikes do.

One of the reasons for adding fuel has to do with the CHTs (cylinder head temperatures) and EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures) that need to be managed.

EGT is highest at 14.7:1 AFR so added fuel brings the temperature down (going leaner does too but you lose power). Adding just a little fuel and bringing the AFRs to 13.5ish (to best power mixture) at high power moves CHTs up, so enough fuel is usually added to get AFRs in the high 12s or low 13s so that CHTs drop down. This is engine dependent but it is important enough in aviation (where engines run at 75% Power most of the time and pilots have control of the mixture) that high performance piston engines often have an EGT and CHT probe for each cylinder.

Apparently most bikes run rich in open loop because the manufacturers know that we like to add free flow filters and exhausts, so they need to accommodate this and avoid customer dissatisfaction or litigation if problems occur as a result.
:jes:jes:jesI read Hilltop threads with interest and generally, once one gets beyond the trolls, find I am informed and enlightened by some of the technical knowledge.
The above statement stands out as the most unsubstantiated, unprovable, unreliable and wistful thinking pile of crap I’ve ever read on any of the Hillltop threads. We get it, you don’t like Hilltop. Stop. Cease. Desist. Move along. Relax. Be happy.
Alan R

Leave him alone, he's happy; and it is cheaper to society, allowing him to spout his ignorant bile here, than sectioning him.
:jes:jes:jesI read Hilltop threads with interest and generally, once one gets beyond the trolls, find I am informed and enlightened by some of the technical knowledge.
The above statement stands out as the most unsubstantiated, unprovable, unreliable and wistful thinking pile of crap I’ve ever read on any of the Hillltop threads. We get it, you don’t like Hilltop. Stop. Cease. Desist. Move along. Relax. Be happy.
Alan R

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Is this an apocryphal tale, or not?

Hypothetically, just suppose that someone has been creating bike forum identities for years to promote his “remapping” service on many different forums. Suppose this is a long con and over the next year or two he posts 30-50 short, simple comments on other threads to validate himself as a bona fide forum member. Then he starts a thread asking if anyone else thinks that a particular bike has a snatchy throttle or suffers from ‘surging’. Sometimes he asks whether anyone has heard of a place called “Hilltop”. At other times he begins a thread with a full blown testimonial for the amazing transformation from his “remapping” (including the cost and a link to his website!). Bike forum posts of this style and nature don’t exist for any other tuner. Different members on different forums use the same phrases; “he’s a great bloke”, “he knows his stuff”, “Hilltop, they’re the experts” and lately “Hilltop magic”.

Maybe he also chimes in as another forum member he has set up (usually this one has fewer posts) who validates and agrees with the ‘magic’ of his “remapping” service on their bike. Perhaps this is often supplemented with veiled references to BSB bikes, BMW dealership recommendations and pdfs of dyno charts showing (impossible) power gains of 20% or more achieved with only 30-40 minutes between dyno pulls.

Anyone who thinks that nobody would put so much time and effort into this, remember that this hypothetical “tuner” earns £500 an hour for an invisible, undetectable service. In fact it is entirely legitimate to assert that he does nothing at all - nobody can prove otherwise. To make his service completely undetectable in all respects he may also claim that power increases won’t show up on any dyno other than his own!

So, here you have a service that people don’t understand, that they really want to believe works, which ‘apparently everybody else on the internet’ thinks is marvellous, but which nobody can prove exists at all.

Don’t you just love the internet.

Have a look at this thread and tell me that you don't at least think that Qualz and TipTop's posts aren't just a bit fishy. Note how TipTop instinctively knows that Qualz is referring to Hilltop, even though it hasn't been mentioned!
https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,32084.0.html

Perhaps it’s time to delete the ‘let’s make Jeff rich’ thread once and for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps it’s time to delete the ‘let’s make Jeff rich’ thread once and for all.

True but strangely my BMW dealer (mechanic ) said to me how well my bike rides to all the others he rides and how much better than standard . He has no idea its been done .. go figure

True but strangely my BMW dealer (mechanic ) said to me how well my bike rides to all the others he rides and how much better than standard . He has no idea its been done .. go figure

Lol. Exactly the same thing happened to me. “What have you done to that” he said as he got off it.

Seems to me if you've paid the money you are over the moon and if not think its a waste of time. If it works for you fine if you haven't tried it then dont!!!!!!!

Seems to me if you've paid the money you are over the moon and if not think its a waste of time. If it works for you fine if you haven't tried it then dont!!!!!!!

Why not try it? I did it on the strength of feedback on here and was pleased. I wouldn’t ride all the way to Leicester twice and handover a substantial amount of money if it wasn’t worth it.

If you’re not 100% happy your bike can be returned to standard and a full refund given so to me it was worth a try with no risk.

Next Group Discount Dates:
Aug 25th and Sep 15th.
Save £60 against usual price and enjoy the company of some other forum members.
£300 (non BMW +£10), inc tea, biscuits and VAT.
If you’re not satisfied the bike can be reverted to OEM free of charge with no quibbles and have your money back.
PM me to book:
John S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hilltop if you have it, it is the best, if you do not have it, it must be shite, GS-911 if you have it it is awesome, if you do not it is shite, and so on and so on, you have to put your money where your mouth is, otherwise you cannot judge something by reading haters posts.

Love mine especially in dynamic mode:p

On a recent 3 week plus trip in Spain & Portugal in May, I am convinced the bike runs cooler as the fan did not cut in as much as it use to.

When you think about it, any bike that has the correct AFR will run better. All hilltop do is make this happen. Other physical devices are starting to appear with feedback being positive. I am dubious about the bhp claims but at the end of the day my bike purrs and I am happy with the result and would recommend hilltop.

You know what, I never has the bike in dynamic mode after the remap. Maybe I should give it a go :D

Had my Africa twin DCT Hilltopped, I let the owner of Ktech ride it back to back to compare against his own AT DCT, he was amazed how nice the fuel delivery is and how smooth low down, with a constant strong drive from midrange.

£200 well spent .

Had my Africa twin DCT Hilltopped, I let the owner of Ktech ride it back to back to compare against his own AT DCT, he was amazed how nice the fuel delivery is and how smooth low down, with a constant strong drive from midrange.

£200 well spent .

£200! How did you persuade Geoff to do it for almost half price?

I was surprised as I organise the Group Discount Dates and they cost £300. The DCT bikes are NOT put on the rolling road, so are in effect a remap only. Perhaps that’s why the cost is lower, no graph etc...
JohnS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom