2007 ABS Problem

corrcullen

Reaction score
I gave my 2007 RT a major service a month ago (not sure it's relevant) oil, filters, tyres, brake pads, brake fluid, final drive etc etc for an upcoming trip to Morocco in a few weeks.

Today, I took the bike out for a spin, after riding for about 45 mins on fairly bumpy roads, the brake failure light came on.
The brakes continued to work fine, but when I tested the ABS on the back wheel at slow speed, it wasn't working, the wheel locked up.

I rode the bike home and plugged in the GS-911 and I got the following codes.
24052 - Electrical system under-voltage. The fault is not present now.
24048 - Pump motor defective. The fault is not present now.
24049 - Power supply to pump motor faulty. The fault is not present now.

I cleared the fault codes and ran the Output Tests with the GS911, Pump Motor and 5 valves and also did the ABS bleed test, everything worked fine.

I also checked the wiring to the sensor at the front left brake disc, it's fine, not rubbing.

Then I took the bike for a 10 minute ride, the brake failure light stayed off and the ABS was working, I tried to lock the back wheel and it kicked in.

The battery seemed to be working fine, I boost charge it with an Optimate every fortnight when am not riding it.
This was done about a fortnight ago, and it seems to start as normal this morning.

Any idea what could have been wrong?

Am worried it might happen again on my trip.
But at least I still have brakes if it does (I can live without ABS)

I previously had a 2005 RT (whizzy servo brakes) when a similar problem occurred, the only difference was that I had only about 10% brakes which was scary when it occurred on a motorway at speed.

The reason I changed my 2005 RT for a 2007 was that I thought the brake system was much more reliable!

I had the same fault on my '07 bike recently.

Advice from the Forum was the ABS pump motor brushes were sticking, common fault.

Fixed with a replacement secondhand pump, not that difficult a job in reality. There are videos on Youtube showing how to fix your own motor if you choose to go down that route.

Here's my earlier thread; http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/488653-Intermittent-ABS-Fault

Good Luck!:thumb2

The dreaded ABS pump sticking brushes fault. do a search on here and get all the info as it's been done to death :D

I gave my 2007 RT a major service a month ago (not sure it's relevant) oil, filters, tyres, brake pads, brake fluid, final drive etc etc for an upcoming trip to Morocco in a few weeks.

Today, I took the bike out for a spin, after riding for about 45 mins on fairly bumpy roads, the brake failure light came on.
The brakes continued to work fine, but when I tested the ABS on the back wheel at slow speed, it wasn't working, the wheel locked up.

I rode the bike home and plugged in the GS-911 and I got the following codes.
24052 - Electrical system under-voltage. The fault is not present now.
24048 - Pump motor defective. The fault is not present now.
24049 - Power supply to pump motor faulty. The fault is not present now.

I cleared the fault codes and ran the Output Tests with the GS911, Pump Motor and 5 valves and also did the ABS bleed test, everything worked fine.

I also checked the wiring to the sensor at the front left brake disc, it's fine, not rubbing.

Then I took the bike for a 10 minute ride, the brake failure light stayed off and the ABS was working, I tried to lock the back wheel and it kicked in.

The battery seemed to be working fine, I boost charge it with an Optimate every fortnight when am not riding it.
This was done about a fortnight ago, and it seems to start as normal this morning.

Any idea what could have been wrong?

Am worried it might happen again on my trip.
But at least I still have brakes if it does (I can live without ABS)

I previously had a 2005 RT (whizzy servo brakes) when a similar problem occurred, the only difference was that I had only about 10% brakes which was scary when it occurred on a motorway at speed.

The reason I changed my 2005 RT for a 2007 was that I thought the brake system was much more reliable!

Give Mark from Platinum Motorcycles shout.
If it needs doing, it's not a total disater.........it'll put a dent in your Xmas but not a total disaster.

Thanks all, I'll get the ABS unit removed and sent for repair shortly.
If I decide to remove the until myself, where do I send it for repair?
Anyone in the UK (or Ireland) that repairs them?

I think it has to go to the UK......someone will be along shortly with the name of the company.

Sent from a U11

I have bought suspension from Firefox..... they are nice lads to deal with.

Sent from a U11

Once you have removed it, fixing it is the easy part. I did mine for about £50 using a brush holder assembly from a ford fiesta and a new bearing. As others have said, search the forum and the rest of the internet for pictures and videos of how to do it. If you are feeling particularly dexterous you can do it without removing the ABS unit from the bike.

Back
Top Bottom