1200 / 1250 GSA Fuel Tank Material

rossi46

Reaction score
The option I wish I'd of got when I bought my R1250 GSA Rallye is the brushed aluminium tank. If I was to buy a second hand tank, are they made of aluminium or steel ? I have someone who could remove all the paint, brush finish and lacquer for me if they are in fact aluminium

The 1200 is aluminium. Painted silver. But it’s def ally and not steel.

I suspect the 1250 will be too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without wishing to rain on your parade,

Don't do it, you will be disappointed with what you get.

Brushed stainless or ally, despite looking fantastic, is very hard to achieve,

The brushing needs to be uniform, and is very directional, Once brushed, Ally will require lacquering, otherwise it will oxidise and dull.

Stainless, will show water spots everytime it rains, and drys.

Also if you have anything in contact with the tank, Knees, jacket etc, all will eventually brush a new pattern in the tank

You need a strict regime for washing the bike, as the tank will be susceptible to surface scratches from you cloths etc.

Any damage, stone chips etc, will not be able to be filled and polished / brushed out.

The OP did say he would have it lacquered.

I'd go for it. Really like the look of these when done properly. I've been after an alloy tank for my R9T for ages.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Try a magnet. I thought the GSA tank material to be steel, the tank walls are quite thin, which if aluminium would flex more.
Not definitive but just a thought.
Alan R

The tank is made of aluminum...I had the brushed aluminum option on my old 1250 GS-ADV and it looked beautiful like the finish on the R Nine T...I think it would look good on a 2021 Triple-Black :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom