1250 GS - a couple of small issues

fred_jb

Reaction score
I've now done 2500 miles in the 1250 GS I bought in March, and have experienced a couple of minor issues which I wondered if anyone else can shed any light on. The first is that the accessory socket is not shutting down after the usual delay, or at least not if a reasonable amount of power is being drawn from it at the time the ignition is switched off. The second problem is that I seem to have completely lost the average mpg readout. This is now blank, but I have definitely seen a figure on it previously. More details of these below if anyone wants to read it. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Fred

Power socket issue: I use a phone as a satnav, and need a high power fast charger 12V adapter to keep this from running out of charge. I was initially connecting this to the now redundant GPS power socket using a mating plug from Nippy Normans and a cable soldered directly to the charger, but experienced some issues with it intermittently switching off, which I put down to it maybe exceeding to current limits on this connection.

When I got a new 12V to USB adapter which has two high power outputs, one to suit my satnav phone and the other which is compatible with my new main phone, I decided to try powering it from the accessory socket instead, and fitted a full size 12V socket to mount it in. This new socket was wired to a right angle plug going into the accessory socket. This was all working fine, apart from not switching off when I turned off the ignition. If the phone is still connected and charging when the ignition is switched off, then the accessory socket never shuts off as it should after the normal short delay, and subsequently appears to stay on permanently. Even if I then unplug the charger it will turn back on if reinserted. However, if I unplug the phone from the charger before turning off the ignition, then it does shut down correctly, so it seems to fail to shutdown when a larger current is being drawn. This is the opposite of what I would expect, as the larger the current being taken, then the more important it should be for the system to turn the socket off to stop the battery being flattened.

I even tried putting a diode in series with the supply to the charger to prevent any possibility of a back voltage from the charger keeping the socket live, but it didn't help. Seems wrong to me, so if anyone has any further info on this I would be interested to hear. In the meantime I decided to try again with the GPS power supply socket as I had found that the intermittent failure when connected to that previously had been due to a faulty 12V USB adapter. I have now connected the full size 12V socket to this supply instead of plugging it into the accessory socket, and the new USB charger works perfectly in this. The USB charger turns off properly regardless of if the phone is connected, and can supply enough current to provide a fast charge output simultaneously to both phones.

If you have a need to provide both a Fast Charge 3.0 USB type output as well as a USB-C PD type fast charge then I can recommend this charger:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076H7LKVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here it is fitted in my new socket:

_6K51431-XL.jpg

MPG readout: The other baffling problem is that the average mpg readouts on the TFT are now both blank. I am sure that this was giving me a figure previously as I remember comparing it to that from the spreadsheet I use to save details of all my fill ups. With my 1200 GS over the 11,500 miles I did on it, the bike gave an average speed readout of 47 mph and coincidentally an average fuel consumption of 47 mpg which agreed pretty well with my figures.

When I had looked at the 1250 figures previously, the average mph was 49 and I'm pretty sure that mpg was 47 - so much for the 1250 being more economical. Now when I look at the mpg readouts they are blank. I found something about fuel range readout not showing when the bike is on the sidestand, but that's not the case here, and shouldn't affect the average figures anyway, as they must be based on records of the total amount of fuel the fuel injection has supplied to the engine.

I did have the TFT software updated at the 600 mile service because it wouldn't stay paired to my phone, but I'm pretty certain I have looked at the average mpg readout well after that. The only other thing I have done which could conceivably have affected this was to change to km/h while in Spain recently. The other thing I have noticed is that changing the item displayed at the top of the screen using the menu button has now become very unreliable unless I wait a couple of seconds after each change. I am sure I used to be able to whizz through these as fast as I could press the button. Any thoughts?

_6K51432-XL.jpg

Fred I read somewhere about something about page 90 in the manual for changes, I do not have TFT so do not shoot please.

Thanks Bob - but I have RTFM'd without finding anything that helps.

Just on the offchance Fred, could it be like the Tyre pressure system, works when riding and biked stopped for fuel, and then when bike is turned off, goes into this state, until bike is moving again.....:nenau

Just on the offchance Fred, could it be like the Tyre pressure system, works when riding and biked stopped for fuel, and then when bike is turned off, goes into this state, until bike is moving again.....:nenau

I think that would be true of the instantaneous fuel consumption, but the long term average figure should be available at any time. I haven't been out on the bike since noticing but have started the engine in case that kicked the ECU into providing the data, but it didn't.

Maybe someone else with the TFT could have a look at their's and let me know what they see.

I think that would be true of the instantaneous fuel consumption, but the long term average figure should be available at any time. I haven't been out on the bike since noticing but have started the engine in case that kicked the ECU into providing the data, but it didn't.

Maybe someone else with the TFT could have a look at their's and let me know what they see.

Maybe ride it round the block just to see........:rob

Maybe ride it round the block just to see........:rob

I would but I'm in the middle of doing some work which involves removing the centre stand. I'm intending making a bracket to have welded to to the stand. I will then be able to put an Oxford disk lock through this to lock the stand in position. This will prevent the bike being taking off the stand which will be an extra deterrent as well as the front disk lock and alarm.

I would but I'm in the middle of doing some work which involves removing the centre stand. I'm intending making a bracket to have welded to to the stand. I will then be able to put an Oxford disk lock through this to lock the stand in position. This will prevent the bike being taking off the stand which will be an extra deterrent as well as the front disk lock and alarm.

:thumb2:thumb2 look up the tricks to get center stand spring back on, before you take it off, something to do with washers in the spring, if I remember.

Just nipped out and had a look at mine. The average speed and consumption are shown for both the OBC and Trip Computer.

Just nipped out and had a look at mine. The average speed and consumption are shown for both the OBC and Trip Computer.

Thanks Richard - very good of you. Not sure about the terms OBC and Trip Computer - mine seems to offer 1 and 2 numbered versions of these readouts, which I thought corresponded to trip 1 and trip 2 mileages? I've never reset my trips so I think both give the full ODO reading. In any case you are getting a reading and I am not, so I wonder what the problem is with mine.

Thanks Richard - very good of you. Not sure about the terms OBC and Trip Computer - mine seems to offer 1 and 2 numbered versions of these readouts, which I thought corresponded to trip 1 and trip 2 mileages? I've never reset my trips so I think both give the full ODO reading. In any case you are getting a reading and I am not, so I wonder what the problem is with mine.

The OBC (on board computer) is the one that (in theory) never resets - and is number 1. Number 2 is the trip computer and can be reset manually or automatically.

According to the manual, it is also possible to reset the OBC through the menus.

Is your average speed also reset to zero?

The OBC (on board computer) is the one that (in theory) never resets - and is number 1. Number 2 is the trip computer and can be reset manually or automatically.

According to the manual, it is also possible to reset the OBC through the menus.

Thanks again Richard - I will compare that with mine when I get the chance a bit later.

The average speed on mine is showing as 49 mph

OK - this is how my OBC and Trip Computer screens look, the mpg should be around 46 going by my fill up records:

_6K51433-XL.jpg

_6K51435-XL.jpg

Can’t really help with your mpg issue but I am surprised with your average 49mph over the lifetime of the bike. Do you spend all your time on fast A roads and avoid traffic lights etc?

Can’t really help with your mpg issue but I am surprised with your average 49mph over the lifetime of the bike. Do you spend all your time on fast A roads and avoid traffic lights etc?

Thanks for your input anyway - the photo of yours was helpful as it does seem to confirm that something is amiss with mine.

I am a bit surprised at the average speed too. However my 1200 averaged 47 mph over 11,500 miles so maybe it is the way I use the bike. I don't do any commuting and as little urban riding as possible, and the vast majority of my mileage is done on European trips which involve UK and European motorways to quickly get to the area where I am going to be touring. Usually my wife (the Ryanair pillion!) flies into the nearest airport and we only start the touring once I meet up with her, then she flies home at the end, so my getting there and getting back tends to be done at fairly high speed to minimise time and hotel stops. Of course the touring bits will lower the average, but there aren't many traffic lights in the sort of areas we tour, though quite a few small towns with 50 km/h limits.

If you take the figures on the screen at face value, then it would appear that I have done 2550 miles in 62 hours of riding which only equates to an average of 41 mph. However, the 62 hours may include time when the bike is switched on but stationary, including the four hours or so it apparently took to load new firmware into the TFT, and all the time I have spent fitting and testing electrical farkles, so maybe in working out the average speed the computer ignores time spent in neutral and not moving?

Just out of interest I did a little calculation to see if my average mph is feasible. If for example I had done a total of 3000 miles, 1000 of which was on motorways where I averaged 80 mph (in Europe of course!) and I averaged 40 mph for the other 2000 touring miles, then the 1000 miles takes 12.5 hours and the 2000 miles takes 50 hours, giving a total of 62.5 hours which equates to an average of 48 mph.

^^^ Sounds feasible- although averaging 80mph on motorways takes some doing - even in Europe. :D

Update: Went out on the bike this morning and the empty average mpg figure started to change. It quickly went up to 40 and after a few miles on back roads was reading 54 mpg. Both the OBC and Trip reading are the same.

It looks like there has been some sort of glitch, and the previous mpg records have been lost, which is a bit annoying as the figure is no longer representative of my long term average over all the miles done, but seemingly is just the average over today's mileage. This can therefore obviously not be relied upon as it may randomly reset again at some point.

I guess I will continue to record the litres put in and the ODO reading on the receipts whenever I fill up, and use this data to update my mpg spreadsheet when I get home. This currently shows that the bike's average since I bought it is 46 mpg.

Update: Went out on the bike this morning and the empty average mpg figure started to change. It quickly went up to 40 and after a few miles on back roads was reading 54 mpg. Both the OBC and Trip reading are the same.

It looks like there has been some sort of glitch, and the previous mpg records have been lost, which is a bit annoying as the figure is no longer representative of my long term average over all the miles done, but seemingly is just the average over today's mileage. This can therefore obviously not be relied upon as it may randomly reset again at some point.

I guess I will continue to record the litres put in and the ODO reading on the receipts whenever I fill up, and use this data to update my mpg spreadsheet when I get home. This currently shows that the bike's average since I bought it is 46 mpg.

Or maybe you zeroed them out by accident playing with the wonder wheel....easily done.

Back
Top Bottom