1250RS Handguards

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm just in the process of moving from a GS to an RS, and I would like to find some handguards similar to the GS handguards just to offer a little more weather protection. I've searched the internet and most of the well-known accessory suppliers but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anyone suggest any handguards that are similar to the GS that would fit? One of the problems I've been hearing about is handguards hitting either the fairing or the mirror stems. Is this a real problem? My RS will have tubular bars if that makes any difference

Some people on FB did the conversion but it’s a pain and really I don’t see the point? If you want winter protection use muffs?
According to those with tubular bars they don’t have a problem with this guard in the link.
Guard from here:

Plus postage, maybe £100
Many went for a mirror conversion.

Here is the FB link, I think you need to join the group to see the link.

Last edited:
Some people on FB did the conversion but it’s a pain and really I don’t see the point? If you want winter protection use muffs?
According to those with tubular bars they don’t have a problem with this guard in the link.
Guard from here:

Plus postage, maybe £100
Many went for a mirror conversion.

Here is the FB link, I think you need to join the group to see the link.
Does anyone recognise these? There're fitted to an RS in the for-sale section on BMW Motorrad UK.

Attachments

• Screenshot (99).png
    Screenshot (99).png
    462.6 KB · Views: 20
5 pages on RS handguards here https://www.r1200rsforum.com/t1913f15-Handguards-for-the-RS-1.html#msg19648 - this is my post #23 showing the Barkbuster Storm fitted to my bike. Others find they hit the screen on a standard bike. I have Wunderlich 25mm bar risers which stops this happening. I use the Tucano R319 muffs designed for the GS etc over these guards.
Barkbuster's seem a reasonable option (haven't got the bike yet) but I don't feel the need for muffs. They're good, but a bit over the top for my requirement.
There are quite a few Barkbuster Storm fittings. Which one did you choose Wessie?

Last edited:
Barkbuster's seem a reasonable option (haven't got the bike yet) but I don't feel the need for muffs. They're good, but a bit over the top for my requirement.
There are quite a few Barkbuster Storm fittings. Which one did you choose Wessie?

I bought the kit secondhand so not sure of the model no. but they have an L shaped bar with a single fixing point on the bar end.

Probably this kit https://barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/bmw/r1200rs-2015on/storm/single-point-mount

I've fitted Acerbis "dual road" hand gaurds to mine. Not as much protection as the GS ones but can be made to work lock to lock with only a minor adjustment to the mirrors.

I fitted a set but with the High bar conversion could not see a thing out of the mirrors !!

Rob

I had the Barkbusters that Wessie mentions on my R1200R and they were a straight swap onto the R1250RS. (y)

I'm just in the process of moving from a GS to an RS, and I would like to find some handguards similar to the GS handguards just to offer a little more weather protection. I've searched the internet and most of the well-known accessory suppliers but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anyone suggest any handguards that are similar to the GS that would fit? One of the problems I've been hearing about is handguards hitting either the fairing or the mirror stems. Is this a real problem? My RS will have tubular bars if that makes any difference
Here's my RS on full lock with the BMW tubular bars. The brake leaver only just clears the bottom of the mirror so depending on how far you want to have the mirrors sticking out/so how much you can see behind you you might have problems getting the clearance with the handguards fitted

20240324_141700.jpg

Here's my RS on full lock with the BMW tubular bars. The brake leaver only just clears the bottom of the mirror so depending on how far you want to have the mirrors sticking out/so how much you can see behind you you might have problems getting the clearance with the handguards fitted

View attachment 312776
Spot-on littleade. I bought some bark-busters, but there is no way that I'm going to fit them, there doesn't appear to be sufficient clearance for my liking and I don't want to alter the mirrors . Even if set correctly, RS mirrors don't seem a patch on GS mirrors - view for view.

Spot-on littleade. I bought some bark-busters, but there is no way that I'm going to fit them, there doesn't appear to be sufficient clearance for my liking and I don't want to alter the mirrors . Even if set correctly, RS mirrors don't seem a patch on GS mirrors - view for view.
I fully agree. The view through them is quite poor compared with the GS as those mirrors are bigger and closer to you giving a much better field of view but ho hum got to work with what I've got. Apart from the crap screen the rest of it is veeeeeery niiiiiice

Hi, I use Barkbusters with the carbon shields, work really well, screen has to be on high postion and i do have bar risers on, I can send you photos if you want

Hi, I use Barkbusters with the carbon shields, work really well, screen has to be on high postion and i do have bar risers on, I can send you photos if you want
Thanks very much for the offer Carlos. It may benefit the others in the "RS gang" if you posted them here. After putting a few more miles on my new RS, I'm beginning to think that I can get away without them. I've been on various GS's for the past 25 years and initially felt a bit 'naked' without guards, but I am much more relaxed about it now. I'm not a winter rider. On the GS I could get away with Rallye gloves all the time, but at the moment I'm not noticing the difference. And, as littleade said, the RS is a very nice bike, I just need to get back to riding on a 17" front and telly forks.

View attachment 312776
My levers are not that close littleade. Do you have the little lines at the base of the mirror arms lined up as stated in the manual?

My levers are not that close littleade. Do you have the little lines at the base of the mirror arms lined up as stated in the manual?
I wasn't aware of those lines so I will have a look thanks. I had assumed (Maybe incorrectly) that the dealer would have checked them as part of the PDI when the put the screen on. Note to self RTFM :D

It's true that with the RS, whatever handguards are fitted, the screen is better raised to the high position (which mine is mostly anyway). Another take on it is to buy heated gloves for winter as with heated grips, they do work well together to keep hands toasty. The RS isn't really an adv bike that is set up for things like hand guards because the mirror position will be compromised. I've taken my dual road guards off now and manage without them. They're now offered for sale if anyone wants them (£70).

I like to use bar muffs in winter, although they got very little use in recent months due to the rain. You need handguards to use the Tucano Urbano R319 I have, bought when I had a R1150GS. I don't have any trouble with the mirrors. Visibility is little different with or without the muff and handguards. I do have to pull in or drop my elbows from time to time.

So what’s the general consensus of opinion on going from the GSA to the R/S? Screen, sat nav mount and hand guards seem to be my initial points to cover off? I’m seriously thinking of changing and can get a good deal at the moment on a new one using the finance offer which i would pay off after 3 months. I don't carry a pillion now.

Back
Top Bottom