ABS Lights flashing alternately 1150 ADV non-servo

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there,

Some of you will be aware that I've been riding my mate Jorge's 1150 Adv in the USA. The other day, during a normal cruise on the freeway, the ABS lights started flashing alternately.

The bike's a 2002 single-spark, 51k miles, and had the fluid changed about two years ago. It has non-servo ABS and pads were replaced and the calipers were cleaned about 4k miles ago (a year ago).

The brakes were not being used when the lights started to blink.

Can anyone give me a quick list of possible causes? YouTube has a method of cross-connecting two wires in the diagnostic plug whilst keeping the ABS light pressed for eight seconds but warns that this may only cure the problem until the ignition is switched off again.

As a non-ABS owner, this is new territory for me.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

Hi there,

Some of you will be aware that I've been riding my mate Jorge's 1150 Adv in the USA. The other day, during a normal cruise on the freeway, the ABS lights started flashing alternately.

The bike's a 2002 single-spark, 51k miles, and had the fluid changed about two years ago. It has non-servo ABS and pads were replaced and the calipers were cleaned about 4k miles ago (a year ago).

The brakes were not being used when the lights started to blink.

Can anyone give me a quick list of possible causes? YouTube has a method of cross-connecting two wires in the diagnostic plug whilst keeping the ABS light pressed for eight seconds but warns that this may only cure the problem until the ignition is switched off again.

As a non-ABS owner, this is new territory for me.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike
I had the same issue. My issue was the front ABS sensor had gone.

It's easy to find that out by plugging in a GS-911.

It is probably a front or rear ABS sensor.

GS 911 will likely give the code as it always sets a code when the lights flash

Did they reset on the next restart??

Rust on a tone wheel will often do that, It;s the small disc inboard of the brake disc that the sensor reads

Or did they replace the rear wheel spacer last time the wheel was off ?? This often allows the abs to work but wears through the end of the sensor and breaks the wire

a difference in rolling radius can do this
Or a wheel leaving the ground and the variance in speed front to back exceeds permitted parameter and trips the ABS fail warning

GS 911 will likely give the code as it always sets a code when the lights flash

Did they reset on the next restart??

Rust on a tone wheel will often do that, It;s the small disc inboard of the brake disc that the sensor reads

Or did they replace the rear wheel spacer last time the wheel was off ?? This often allows the abs to work but wears through the end of the sensor and breaks the wire

a difference in rolling radius can do this
Or a wheel leaving the ground and the variance in speed front to back exceeds permitted parameter and trips the ABS fail warning

Hi Doc, Hi Bandare,

Thanks for the replies,

No, they don't reset on a restart. The other day, in the middle of a cruise, I noticed they'd started flashing together. I quickly turned the ignition off and on and restarted the engine with the clutch in - but unfortunately, they returned to alternate flashing again.

Not sure if there was a spacer on the rear wheel (last off for a tyre change a year ago) - no change in rolling radius (outside of normal wear), and definitely no departure of either wheel from the road surface :D

Jorge has a mate who he thinks may have a 911. Problem is, he's flying down to Davis, CA from Portland next weekend and, if he needs a new sensor, it would be nice to take it with him. Equally, if it's just the pump electronics that have thrown up a random fault, which might be solved by a reset, it would be nice to avoid the expense of buying sensors...

Cheers,

Mike

it's too late now for any visual checks as you are 700 miles away now :DD

Its a non Servo so it will retain the Full brake function the annoying flashing lights can be solved by pulling the blue relay in the fuse box and the remaining red light can be fixed with a small piece of electrical tape for the run home

As it happened on the road (at cruising speed I presume ) I think it is a sensor , whether gap incorrect or a rusty tone wheel issue

Last edited:
I reckon it was a weight sensor! :D

Back
Top Bottom