Air ambulance - Devizes to Westminster kayak race

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We'd like to think that none of us will ever need this, but the reality is that many bikers have been, and will continue to be, saved through the air ambulance service.

Personally I cannot believe that these (and the RNLI for that matter) are funded directly by citizens while we chuck public money at seemingly pointless initiatives, but maybe that's a topic for another thread!

Anyway, in brief - I'm aiming to raise £100 for the air ambulance.

In order to do this, a mate and I have spent the last 18 months training for the Devizes-Westminster kayak race.

This is the longest single stage kayak race in the world. We will start in Devizes, Wilts, at 04h30 on Easter Saturday and if all goes well, we'll finish at Westminster some time on Easter Sunday morning, having paddled non-stop for about 30 hours, covering 125 miles, and carrying the boat around 77 individual locks.

The biggest challenge will probably not be the physical endurance or the sleep deprivation (although both of those are very unpleasant), but the sheer discomfort. I'll be 60 later this year and it's deeply uncomfortable sitting in a kayak for any length of time. After the first couple of hours, everything aches. Fingers blister, backs knot up, shoulders take the brunt of it.. you're certainly wet and most likely cold.

Anyway... the ill-conceived decision to enter this race was made in a pub, after way too many beers. So I invite you to have too many beers, too, and if 10 people chip in £10, we'll make the £100 target and the air ambulance will be able to fly for another hour or two. That could mean someone's life.

So neck those pints, then if you feel the urge, come here:

Cheers!

Paul

hmmm i wonder where my certificate is from 1978 ?
i did it over 3 days? i seem to remember 25 hrs 25 mins 47 secs
WOW just looked up the results , and there i am !
done in a K2 .
trained from Feb every other weekend , some training involved , paddling 'til the ice stopped us , then portarging , 'til there was water again.

Last edited:
hmmm i wonder where my certificate is from 1978 ?
i did it over 3 days? i seem to remember 25 hrs 25 mins 47 secs
WOW just looked up the results , and there i am !
done in a K2 .
trained from Feb every other weekend , some training involved , paddling 'til the ice stopped us , then portarging , 'til there was water again.
Yep, it's the winter training that's the hardest part. We had some truly horrible sessions.

Anyway, you beat my time when I did it in 2002, by about 25 minutes. Look who else beat me (just!) :D

1710974103912.png

ecblank.gif
25:25:47​
Campbell C G & Simpson N ARoyal Navy

just so you know it's not BS.

A few years ago I spent a short while crewing a 'tall ship', one of the other crew members was the originator of this particular challenge; started to raise funds for his scout troop if memory serves.

Donation made, well done Paul.

I wouldn't fancy doing that kayaking myself so much respect.

I support our local Air Ambulance and happy to chip in a little for yours too, I hope never to need their services but its good to know they are there if ever I do.

You have smashed £100 already 👍👍 Ive chucked a few bob in. Good luck with both the training and on the day, remember “ smooth strokes” as the missus used to say 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Crazy amounts of rainfall over the last few weeks, the Thames is in flood....

View attachment 312143
As you no doubt know red boards are still out but the fluvial flow is dropping so as long as the Cotswolds don’t get serious rain we should be back to normal(ish) by D-W weekend.
Just spoken with ex colleagues up river & the ops boys are out cleaning the portages.
Good luck!

As you no doubt know red boards are still out but the fluvial flow is dropping so as long as the Cotswolds don’t get serious rain we should be back to normal(ish) by D-W weekend.
Just spoken with ex colleagues up river & the ops boys are out cleaning the portages.
Good luck!
Thanks Lockie - I doubt any of the other competitors have access to such accurate inside information :D I really appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom