Bardenas Reales ...?

Bobbin-Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need some general advice ......

Two of us will us will be passing the Bardenas Reales in early October, riding from the Castellon area up to near Pamplona. Currently the only planned stop for the day will be a quick nosey around Belchite but then should be up to the Bardenas Reales during the afternoon so have 2 or 3 hours, possibly more available. What would be recommended as the must-see bits, where to enter the area, etc, allowing for the fact that we will be approaching from the south east?

Maybe not relevant but I'll be on the GS but my pal is on a K1200LT, although it doesn't really stop him going anywhere!

I was up at Belchite 2 weeks ago. Well worth the visit. You can take the official tour with one of the local guides at set times of the day but bear in mind mid afternoon its closed for siesta. You could always pop into Zaragosa, the Basilica is a marvel.:thumb2

Attachments

• belch.jpg
    belch.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 938
  • belch 1.jpg
    belch 1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 948
  • belch 2.jpg
    belch 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,004
Thanks Glyno. Is Belchite only accessed via a visitor centre? My little research seems to suggest we need to be there during the morning and pay for the tour whether we take it or not, I think it is in Spanish only.

Stu.

Its only roped off so you could just slip in for a gander unseen. Ive been a few times and hardly ever seen another soul there. If I remember correctly there are 3 schedules for tours, the morning one around 11. There is a notice on the office door tellingbyou where to get hold of the guide, local shop I think.:thumb2

I visited this area last year accessing the central section from the south west near Arguedas, to see the Castildeterra rock formation.
The track round the military area is loose and rocky but we managed it easily 2 up on a R1200RT.

You can get an idea of the area by viewing: http://www.msltours.co.uk/Videos/Spain2013.html

There is a visitor centre but it was closed when we visited late one Friday morning in September

15203253676_cfeca42b3f_b.jpg

15039520649_a8e13739f3_b.jpg

Waypoints:
Info Centre N42 10.775 W1 31.995
Entry Road N42 09.852 W1 35.555
Castildeterra N42 12.593 W1 30.912

Need some general advice ......

Two of us will us will be passing the Bardenas Reales in early October, riding from the Castellon area up to near Pamplona. Currently the only planned stop for the day will be a quick nosey around Belchite but then should be up to the Bardenas Reales during the afternoon so have 2 or 3 hours, possibly more available. What would be recommended as the must-see bits, where to enter the area, etc, allowing for the fact that we will be approaching from the south east?

Maybe not relevant but I'll be on the GS but my pal is on a K1200LT, although it doesn't really stop him going anywhere!

When I scoot over into Spain I use www.wikilocs.com to find all manner of routes...excellent site...Works best with OSMap IMO

:)

Was down there on Sat morning while en-route to Santander for the ferry...absolutely stunning.

I was at the end of a fantastic 2 week trip circumnavigating Spain and visiting the 'Reales' at dawn, would have to be one the highlights.

I only wish I had more time and was able to see it at the other end of the day i.e. Sunset.

Can't recommend it highly enough, but seeing it at dawn or dust is best.

Richard

Just a wee flavour....:clap:clap

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 705
2 great places to go and visit ... prior to searching on here I'd never heard of either of them before! Thanks all :thumb2

Rode through the Bardenas Reales from south to north and stayed overnight at the Hotel Rural Nobles de Navarra in a small village called Aibar, highly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_4572s.jpg
    IMG_4572s.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_4597s.jpg
    IMG_4597s.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 794
Those are awesome pics, whats the story behind the abandoned buildings?

It's called Belchite.....if you google it you'll see images and read about it's history. You used to be able to take your moto inside the church for a picture but it's all closed off these days,only accessible by official tour. If you arrive in between tours,don't worry you can take a dander around by yourself around the outside. I am lucky enough to have pics of my XTZ in the church from a few ride outs before it was made officially a tour.

ei4m51.jpg
[/IMG]

m4gom.jpg
[/IMG]

2ynidft.jpg
[/IMG]

29mufsz.jpg
[/IMG]

2isgv0h.jpg
[/IMG]

2hs4yhl.jpg
[/IMG]

:D

15203253676_cfeca42b3f_b.jpg

Waypoints:
Info Centre N42 10.775 W1 31.995
Entry Road N42 09.852 W1 35.555
Castildeterra N42 12.593 W1 30.912

That's the easy way in, but once you've been to the Castillo de Tierra you can follow the 'road' shown there anti-clockwise, past the military base and exit to the north east past this monument and exit onto the main road from Sadaba to Carcastillo almost exactly at the frontier between Aragon, where the road is the A-1201 and Navarre (NA-128).

ibard16.jpg

A good way in to Pamplona from there is to join the A-21 at Lumbier - the 'A' in this case meaning 'autovia' - or toll-free motorway.

Back in the Bardena, note that the central part, i.e. the inside of the circle that the marked road follows, is a target practice range for the Spanish Air Force and the military base is actually a military prison - and a pretty bleak one it must be to be an inmate . . .

Regs

Simon

Ah just read up on it a bit and a fascinating tale. Would like to go take a visit one day!

how long will it take to ride round the Badena reales out of interest? we are going to add this to our trip me thinks..

Myself and Twizzle did about half the "rough" perimeter road when we were there last September.

We spent about 4 hours there in total which included lots of photos and general faffing about. :D

Would like to go back again this September and maybe spend a bit longer. It's an interesting place with lots to explore. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom