Bardenas Reales ...?

Those are awesome pics, whats the story behind the abandoned buildings?

the buildings in the Bardena aren't abandoned - in fact they are used, and as you can see, maintained all the time.

They are either hunting lodge or accommodation for shepherds - often both - the whole point about the name 'Reales' is that the land was granted by royal (Reyal) decree for hunting and grazing rights back in the middle ages - one reason while the landscape is so pristine and also protected now :)

Regs

Simon

Thanks Tricky & Simon. We plan to get off the ferry at Santander at around 8.30am then head straight for the Bardenas go round it then head for Andorra to get to the start of the smugglers trail all on day 1! do you think this would be possible?

Thanks Tricky & Simon. We plan to get off the ferry at Santander at around 8.30am then head straight for the Bardenas go round it then head for Andorra to get to the start of the smugglers trail all on day 1! do you think this would be possible?

Possible but difficult - you would have to take the motorway to Logrño/Tudela the the 'fast road to Huesca via Ejea de los Caballeros and Ayerbe, then Barbastro, Benabarre, Tremp, Sort, all of these last four are good of OK for accommodation so just do what you can . . .

The 'Pyrenean route up to Jaca and along the N260 would take too much time and if you rush it you'd a) miss the fun, and b) might die in the attempt :)

Simon

PS allow a couple of hours in the Bardena to give it the attention it deserves!

hahaha good call Simon, I don't want to end up with option b)!!!!! so we will take it easy, and just see how far we get towards Andorra then stop for the night and complete the rest of the way the next morning. Does the smugglers trail start at Sort?

Thanks

Spent half a day riding around the Bardenas this week then took the road north to Carcastillo. Spanish Air Force put on a spectacular display whilst we were there. Its well worth a visit.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 341
hahaha good call Simon, I don't want to end up with option b)!!!!! so we will take it easy, and just see how far we get towards Andorra then stop for the night and complete the rest of the way the next morning. Does the smugglers trail start at Sort?

Thanks

Sorry to have been so long replying dibbs, my feet haven't touched the ground since my HISS rally in Southern Aragon last week - for which a group of us rode through the Bardena after a rendez-vous in the Pyrenees:

hiss2015a2.png

The nearest town to the start of the Smugglers route is Llavorsi, a few kilometres further upstream from Sort on the C13.

Regs

Simon

De nada, but you can always drop by me in La Pobla de Segur and we'll have that beer :)

Simon

Back
Top Bottom