Bike Almost Stolen - Today 1 hour ago - South West London

oxforshirerider

Reaction score
Just a quick heads up!

My GSA was almost stolen about 1 hour ago. South Wimbledon SW19 Luckily thanks to the quick response of a local lad, who cycled to the police station (30 seconds round the corner) to get the police, they interrupted the scum just as they were wheeling it off.

Another lad had filmed the whole thing from a safe vantage point, so can see exactly what they are doing. Angle grinder through both pannier racks, as thats there the chain was securing it to a sign-post. (My Anti-Pinch Pin hasn't arrived yet, ironically). Pragmasis Chain and Squire Lock untouched, left on floor attached to sign-post.

Front disc lock Oxford Monster, cut through with Angle Grinder.......angle grinder actually failed right at the end of the cut as they discarded the broken disc by the bike!

Wheeled bike forwards, then dropped it onto left side, to break steering lock in one drop (geeeee thanks BMW for that ultra secure steering lock design). Picked bike up and were about to wheel it away when police in unmarked car came round corner. Police unable to apprehend them as they scooted off the other side of cars in the road.

So, damage report - a couple of scuffed frame protector bars (thats what they are there for), will need new Pannier racks, will need new disc lock, and will need to get the steering lock fixed, or maybe not!

Alarm didn't activate, will definitely look into that, as should of done the moment they had started moving it around after angle-grinder action.
Tracker wasn't required thankfully.

Bike is still intact and although they got through the security, it delayed them long enough for onlookers/police to get involved!

Brilliant work by Joe Public shame they didn’t get nicked . Still expensive to fix Bastards !

May I ask why you used the Pannier Frames and not the rear wheel?

Just a quick heads up!

My GSA was almost stolen about 1 hour ago. South Wimbledon SW19 Luckily thanks to the quick response of a local lad, who cycled to the police station (30 seconds round the corner) to get the police, they interrupted the scum just as they were wheeling it off.

Another lad had filmed the whole thing from a safe vantage point, so can see exactly what they are doing. Angle grinder through both pannier racks, as thats there the chain was securing it to a sign-post. (My Anti-Pinch Pin hasn't arrived yet, ironically). Pragmasis Chain and Squire Lock untouched, left on floor attached to sign-post.

Front disc lock Oxford Monster, cut through with Angle Grinder.......angle grinder actually failed right at the end of the cut as they discarded the broken disc by the bike!

Wheeled bike forwards, then dropped it onto left side, to break steering lock in one drop (geeeee thanks BMW for that ultra secure steering lock design). Picked bike up and were about to wheel it away when police in unmarked car came round corner. Police unable to apprehend them as they scooted off the other side of cars in the road.

So, damage report - a couple of scuffed frame protector bars (thats what they are there for), will need new Pannier racks, will need new disc lock, and will need to get the steering lock fixed, or maybe not!

Alarm didn't activate, will definitely look into that, as should of done the moment they had started moving it around after angle-grinder action.
Tracker wasn't required thankfully.

Bike is still intact and although they got through the security, it delayed them long enough for onlookers/police to get involved!

Shite day because of scrotes but kudos to the lad who saved your bike, might want to look at Abus 8008 disc lock it has an alarm and if you nudge it a bit, it screams, and maybe a Roadlok, if you subscribe you can get a Roadlok off one of the lads here at a really decent price, but just how much security can we carry :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry to read this, but glad to hear you didn’t lose your bike!
It’s not just the loss of the bike, it’s the five years of insurance hikes on any vehicle you attempt to insure.
I have an Oxford Monster disc lock, will consider something more proven to replace it.
I had a Roadlok on a Z1000SX, brilliant kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shite day because of scrotes but kudos to the lad who saved your bike, might want to look at Abus 8008 disc lock it has an alarm and if you nudge it a bit, it screams, and maybe a Roadlok, if you subscribe you can get a Roadlok off one of the lads here at a really decent price, but just how much security can we carry :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would be interested in another Roadlok if you know of one going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good to hear this. My best advice if you park in Wimbledon is to park outside the Police station at the rear gate on South Park Road. Trust me, it will be fine there and will be safely looked over by marked vehicles entering and exiting. I wouldn't leave the bike anywhere else.

Sorry to hear that OC. It didn’t go though which is a blessing. Mine did unfortunately. Is yours an LC? If so I’ve the pannier racks off the one nicked if you want to pm me?

Not good to hear this. My best advice if you park in Wimbledon is to park outside the Police station at the rear gate on South Park Road. Trust me, it will be fine there and will be safely looked over by marked vehicles entering and exiting. I wouldn't leave the bike anywhere else.

Plus one.... where I always park if popping into SW19.

Lucky to get it back - especially since you took good precautions and they still had a go - makes you wonder why people leave bikes unattended with nothing to protect them?

Sorry for your loss, but glad it was not more.

Not particular to a WC 1200 Adv really?

More “London” or “Oxford Disc lock” ?

I absolutely hate and despise low-life, parasitic, thieving scum. I can’t think of a punishment that would be too severe.

I had a similar experience recently just off Oxford Street, about 7pm. In my case they cut through one link of the chain I had through the back wheel/frame and anti pinch pin and where half way through the second link when I believe they were getting so much interest they abandoned.

It's my own fault for using such a small chain...

This was in fact the second attempt in 6 weeks to take it from central London.

The only solution I could come up with is no longer taking it in to town when I work - so I bought a wee cbf125. 450 miles from a tenner of fuel. Amazing!
4f0587bd090022fb704cb92cb4048855.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience recently just off Oxford Street, about 7pm. In my case they cut through one link of the chain I had through the back wheel/frame and anti pinch pin and where half way through the second link when I believe they were getting so much interest they abandoned.

It's my own fault for using such a small chain...

This was in fact the second attempt in 6 weeks to take it from central London.

The only solution I could come up with is no longer taking it in to town when I work - so I bought a wee cbf125. 450 miles from a tenner of fuel. Amazing!
4f0587bd090022fb704cb92cb4048855.jpg

Yep little shitters are the best for big cities anyway, as long as you do not live to far away.

Yep little shitters are the best for big cities anyway, as long as you do not live to far away.
In my case it's about 20 miles, but as it's all 30s & 40s it doesn't take any longer. But boy is it easier to manage though the traffic.

In my case it's about 20 miles, but as it's all 30s & 40s it doesn't take any longer. But boy is it easier to manage though the traffic.

Oh yeah used to have a little Kawa gpz 400 bit like the one in the picture was great for Paris.

Back
Top Bottom