Theft and replacement

Look at getting a CANBUS immobiliser fitted. They're available for cars so i'd assume Bike ones are also available. It prevents any reversing powering of the OBD for key cloning, new key registering etc & the Bike can't be started without the fob being in the vicinity of the device (of which the signal can't be relayed either).

Look at getting a CANBUS immobiliser fitted. They're available for cars so i'd assume Bike ones are also available. It prevents any reversing powering of the OBD for key cloning, new key registering etc & the Bike can't be started without the fob being in the vicinity of the device (of which the signal can't be relayed either).
This has been discussed here previously. I recall that the consensus was that such devices are of limited value on a motorcycle due to the obvious difference that it’s usually quite difficult to steal a car by loading it into the back of a van or wheeling it away single handedly - not so a bike. This difference also accounts for the dirth of disc locks, chains, cables and ground anchors advertised for car security.
Horses for courses.
Alan R

Very sorry to hear about your bike being stolen Toshack. You’d obviously done all the good things and just goes to show, if they really want it they’ll get it.
Don’t know if one of these may add another layer for you.
A friend mentioned something like that and I'd not seen anything like that until I clicked your link. Thanks very much, i'll take a further look (though the hotlink in the Bennets review is dead)

A friend mentioned something like that and I'd not seen anything like that until I clicked your link. Thanks very much, i'll take a further look (though the hotlink in the Bennets review is dead)
I’ve just been looking, not sure what’s happening with them, name change or something maybe?

Found them here

I’ve just been looking, not sure what’s happening with them, name change or something maybe?

Found them here
Thanks - I'd already called them before I posted! "We don't work with that company any more"
I found an email on their Facebook page and sent that off - it's not bounced back but there was a flurry of activity - both the reviews and the FB - last summer and nothing since. Shame if they have a good product that they could not make work.

Thanks - I'd already called them before I posted! "We don't work with that company any more"
I found an email on their Facebook page and sent that off - it's not bounced back but there was a flurry of activity - both the reviews and the FB - last summer and nothing since. Shame if they have a good product that they could not make work.
Richy Vida on YT has or had a relationship with them. I’ve messaged him to see if he knows if they’ve changed name or anything.

Greetings all
I recently had my 40th Anniversary TE nicked from a lockup near my home. Garage Defender was pried out of the ground to get the door open. The 16mm chain to ground anchor was removed, as was the alarmed disc lock (neither left behind). And of course the factory bits were bypassed/ignored. The bike was taken a couple of miles away and left for a couple of hours before the tracker gave it's last ping. Then it was gone. Likely a targeted theft and the insurer is already on paying me out. Lurking here, I've learned the replacement will have various Pragmasis bits to make it more secure and a second Garage defender will go on.

BUT... as a targeted/not impulse theft and given the weight of the bike, I can assume one of two things... they either used something like a pallet truck to get it out of the garage and then on to sometihng for a 2 mile (and then onward) journey. OR they have a box that bypasses the key/immobiliser (as seems to be the case for Range Rovers etc).

Begging the question... is there a key-fob delete/go back to an old fashioned key type thing for the immobiliser and alarm?
I could have written this myself. 2017 GS, all the BMW Security stuff. Bike must have been tagged, got into locked garage area, camera's didn't see anything?, one black screw left on the floor!. Yes, they remove disc lockes very easily and take them away to erase traces. Where's my GS? .... 1st night of Lock Down in Amsterdam. Nightmare.

I was wondering that too but the lockup is a 5 minute walk away and the key at home. I GUESS they could have come by the house and pinged the key (unlikely). Does anyone know if you press the start button without the key nearby if the bike starts hunting for the key

I know someone who had their car (Not a Rangey) nicked off their drive. The local doorbell cameras picked up someone lying under the front end of the car and rasing a box under the engine bay. As they did this, the car unlocked/de-immobilised. It didn't start so they had to do it a second time. But they drove it away in under a minute. Being an RHD car likely quite difficult to sell on in many LHD markets (legit ones) but a bike really has no flags saying "I might be in the wrong country"
You've never been to Albania. Lots of UK posh cars

Does make me wonder if additional security is worth it since if they come prepared then nothing makes a difference and if they come not prepared then steering lock/immobiliser is probably enough. Having said that I have a lock and cable for when out and about but my thoughts above still apply so I have invested only enough to mean they need tools.

Does make me wonder if additional security is worth it since if they come prepared then nothing makes a difference and if they come not prepared then steering lock/immobiliser is probably enough. Having said that I have a lock and cable for when out and about but my thoughts above still apply so I have invested only enough to mean they need tools.
Not sure if it was on here or another forum but the poster whobwas ex plod said when they caught a prolific bike thief they asked him how he selected which bikes to nick. Apparently he used to go for a drive with his family (to avoid suspicion) round the local estates on a Sunday afternoon looking for bikermates cleaning their steeds after their normal Sunday morning ride to the cafe to pick his next victims. So it seems the best defence is to keep it out of view so they don't know you have a bike in the 1st place.

Best advice for security, if you have not got a secure alarmed attached garage at your property find a local secure storage facility rather than a lock up, sorry but if they have specifically targetted your lock up for the bike they will assume that you will buy a replacement and will come back.

Best security is make sure no one knows the bike is there in the first place, a mate of mine keeps his 4 bikes in a secure facility and the unit is fully cctv covered , alarmed and security code entry only ( plus his own unit within it is separately secured).

PITA for daily use but if you are only using the bike for occasional leisure use , much more secure

Back
Top Bottom