Bike Almost Stolen - Today 1 hour ago - South West London

Having an expensive bike and leaving it anywhere in London is now a big risk. Anything can be cut off with an angle grinder.

Yep - all you can do is try your best to slow them down enough to prevent them getting away with it before someone raises the alarm (which isn’t going to happen most of the time). Thickest chain you can carry (16+mm if possible) through the shaft axle (NOT the frame or pannier mounts as they WILL cut through very quickly) or worst case the wheel tight up against an immovable object so they can’t knock the bike over, another chain through wheel to centre stand, at least 2 different very noisy disc locks with minimum 16mm pin, U lock etc. Never park somewhere with no footfall or away from a busy road/police station entrance etc etc blah blah. If there’s enough to slow them down worst case is they give up (probably after damaging your pride and joy out of spite, best case they look at it and go for easier pickings. Ignore advice above using a cover - they’ll just nick it and come back for the bike tomorrow! And finally if you must ride a nice bike, put a tracker in it - but get the device hidden properly. At least you’ll know WHEN it’s being nicked!
However as has been said - ride a dirty shitty bike that’s not worth looking at and lock it up and you’ll stand a much better chance. A 125 may seem like a perfect buy but they’re one of the most stolen bikes as they’re light enough for two people to get into a small van and there’s lots of them.

Chain and locks need a rethink. They could be hollow core with a DNA dye in the middle or better still gunpowder.

Chain and locks need a rethink. They could be hollow core with a DNA dye in the middle or better still gunpowder.

Or anthrax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly recommend you look at LiteLok as they now sell a longer model which can be worn as a belt whilst transporting (safely, not locked together) and have been proven to resist bolt cutters and angle grinders exceptionally well. I use my bicycle one and will be buying the longer one soon.

Shite day because of scrotes but kudos to the lad who saved your bike, might want to look at Abus 8008 disc lock it has an alarm and if you nudge it a bit, it screams, and maybe a Roadlok, if you subscribe you can get a Roadlok off one of the lads here at a really decent price, but just how much security can we carry :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, only just been able to get back online to reply to all the replies......funnily enough I just ordered one of these 8008's being delivered tomorrrow, figure more noise and even harder lock will deter them for longer in the future.

Reason I was through the pannier frames with the chain, was that I couldn't get my chain through the axle and back round the lamp post as wouldn't reach. I normally use a bike pin through he rear axle to the chain then round the post, but embarrassingly I lost the pin when riding off one day forgetting it was still in axle! Doh!!!!! (waiting on new one to arrive!).

I know no amount of locks and chains will deter a really determined bit of scum, but in this instance all the chains and locks slowed them down just long enough! Phew!

I highly recommend you look at LiteLok as they now sell a longer model which can be worn as a belt whilst transporting (safely, not locked together) and have been proven to resist bolt cutters and angle grinders exceptionally well. I use my bicycle one and will be buying the longer one soon.

Interesting, but this chap got through one in 14 seconds with an angle-grinder...... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YirAiuGrFe8 Yikes!

Yep - all you can do is try your best to slow them down enough to prevent them getting away with it before someone raises the alarm (which isn’t going to happen most of the time). Thickest chain you can carry (16+mm if possible) through the shaft axle (NOT the frame or pannier mounts as they WILL cut through very quickly) or worst case the wheel tight up against an immovable object so they can’t knock the bike over, another chain through wheel to centre stand, at least 2 different very noisy disc locks with minimum 16mm pin, U lock etc. Never park somewhere with no footfall or away from a busy road/police station entrance etc etc blah blah. If there’s enough to slow them down worst case is they give up (probably after damaging your pride and joy out of spite, best case they look at it and go for easier pickings. Ignore advice above using a cover - they’ll just nick it and come back for the bike tomorrow! And finally if you must ride a nice bike, put a tracker in it - but get the device hidden properly. At least you’ll know WHEN it’s being nicked!
However as has been said - ride a dirty shitty bike that’s not worth looking at and lock it up and you’ll stand a much better chance. A 125 may seem like a perfect buy but they’re one of the most stolen bikes as they’re light enough for two people to get into a small van and there’s lots of them.

I travel 80 miles to work and 80 miles home from work everyday, so a shitty bike just makes that miserable.....and who really wants to give into the scum, but I do get what you're saying.

Interesting, but this chap got through one in 14 seconds with an angle-grinder...... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YirAiuGrFe8 Yikes!

Ouch! I guess it will largely depend on the grinder used by the scumbags. If they're wielding grinders will bad discs or depleted batteries then they may take longer. Food for thought. Up until now I'd seen lots of failed thefts involving these locks. Now I know differently. Will certainly make me think some more about investing in the larger one now.

Sorry, only just been able to get back online to reply to all the replies......funnily enough I just ordered one of these 8008's being delivered tomorrrow, figure more noise and even harder lock will deter them for longer in the future.

Reason I was through the pannier frames with the chain, was that I couldn't get my chain through the axle and back round the lamp post as wouldn't reach. I normally use a bike pin through he rear axle to the chain then round the post, but embarrassingly I lost the pin when riding off one day forgetting it was still in axle! Doh!!!!! (waiting on new one to arrive!).

I know no amount of locks and chains will deter a really determined bit of scum, but in this instance all the chains and locks slowed them down just long enough! Phew!

Yep the 8008 is really solid but you have to put it on quick otherwise it screams, practice a few times first, otherwise you will drive your neighbours mad, think it is something like 4 seconds before it screams.

Very hard to protect against a grinder with a 0.8mm slitting disc.

Back
Top Bottom