Buying and registering a bike in the USA

Andygbsmith

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We are looking to do the Pan American trip this year.
Taking our bike is silly money and yes I have been trying.
Air Canada still don’t do fly ride, roll on shipping won’t take freight from private individuals and Moto freight are talking £2500 one way.

So I want to buy a bike in the USA and get it registered in my name so I can cross all the borders etc.
Has anyone done it. From what I can find out you need either a USA address or someone prepared to let you use their address.

Unfortunately my only friend in the states passed with the big C so I don’t have any contacts.

+1. I'm interested in this as well. I've used mototouring in Italy for a buy/store/sell service. Very good for someone who wants to plan a long visit (or multi year set of visits).

We gave up and rented a one way hire from San Francisco to Newark. It was an Eagle Rider, but they were unbelievably crap at communicating we used Orange & Black in the U.K. they were very helpful, but it wasn’t cheap.

.....So I want to buy a bike in the USA and get it registered in my name so I can cross all the borders etc.
Has anyone done it. From what I can find out you need either a USA address or someone prepared to let you use their address......

That's what I'd do. You would be registering the bike you buy with a State, which would issue you a title and license plate. Most States require you to pay a sales or use tax on the new or used bike to do this. Typically 5-7% of the bike's purchase price, but Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon have no tax on vehicles.

Try Motorcycle Express for flying your bike to Canada 👍

Update for anyone interested.
we bought a bike and as long as you have someone prepared to let you use their address the process is easy.
took about 30 minutes to do everything and walk out with a temporary title and your plate.
be aware that you will pay tax on the purchase price and the amount varies state to state.
Washington was 10%
we did get messed about by the person selling the bike we had planned to buy, in short he lied about the condition of it but within a couple of days we had found another bike which has been spot on.

Attachments

• BB9AA2D1-BB00-47E7-8757-8F8C6821D294.jpeg
    BB9AA2D1-BB00-47E7-8757-8F8C6821D294.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 21
Update for anyone interested.
we bought a bike and as long as you have someone prepared to let you use their address the process is easy.
took about 30 minutes to do everything and walk out with a temporary title and your plate.
be aware that you will pay tax on the purchase price and the amount varies state to state.
Washington was 10%

Ouch 10%, I thought our 6% was high.
Looks like it's the same process in any state because I just received this reply from WV DMV to the question.

"Yes a non resident can purchase a vehicle and title and register it in the state of WV. They will need

to use your mailing address for the title work and they will also need insurance for the vehicle as well"

It wouldn't necessarily have to be registered in the state you bought the vehicle from.

Correct. Doesn't matter where you buy, you just want to register in those states if possible.

....... but Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon have no tax on vehicles.

We are looking to do the Pan American trip this year.
Taking our bike is silly money and yes I have been trying.
Air Canada still don’t do fly ride, roll on shipping won’t take freight from private individuals and Moto freight are talking £2500 one way.

So I want to buy a bike in the USA and get it registered in my name so I can cross all the borders etc.
Has anyone done it. From what I can find out you need either a USA address or someone prepared to let you use their address.

Unfortunately my only friend in the states passed with the big C so I don’t have any contacts.
HI Andy,

more than happy to support your quotation - yes it can be expensive the best option would be ocean freight.

Regards,

Charles.

yup,

No way James Cargo would have come on here spamming this way when Roddy Warriner was there.

He's retired now and his daughter heads up Motofreight who I'd highly recommend...

Perhaps Charles from @James Cargo Bike Services would like to reconsider his approach as it's not really the way things are done on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom