Continental Trail Attack 3 vibration?

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First ever pair of Continental Trail Attack 3's fitted Saturday.

As soon as I left and we t up the motorway I've noticed a vibration through the bars!!??? 60mph upwards?? Like wheel hasn't been balanced. (It has).

Nice smooth GS is no more!.

Anyone had any issues with these?

Going back to Tyre place tomorrow to get their verdict.

Had 3 sets on my last GS, with no issues.

I'll be swapping to them on my new GS, once the A41's are passed their best.

Had my first set of trail attacks fitted recently after two sets of Michelin road pilots. They are definitely different to the Michelins and took a bit of getting used to. I didn’t find any vibration but found that the rear seemed to drift out on slow bends but was fine on faster bends.
Now I’m used to them I can’t fault them for grip and handling.
If they vibrate I would suggest it is a wheel balance problem rather than a tyre problem.

Had a new rear fitted on Friday, which is one of many on my GSA. Never had any sign of vibration from the front or rears, even when the rear has not been balanced.

No problems here either. On my 3rd front and 4th rear... Excellent tyres

Never had vibration issues. Tyres felt very accurate and stable in turns - a good tyre choice for on road.

I had this and it ended up being the rim itself. I had it trued and now it's super smooth.

The runout was not even 2mm but it caused a 1cm wobble in the bars above 80kph. Some tyres are easier to balance out a warped rim than others.

or...it might be a dodgy balance :)

First ever pair of Continental Trail Attack 3's fitted Saturday.

As soon as I left and we t up the motorway I've noticed a vibration through the bars!!??? 60mph upwards?? Like wheel hasn't been balanced. (It has).
Just because there's a balance weight on the wheel doesn't mean it's in the correct place

Also check that the tyre bead is seated correctly around the rim.

There should be a raised ridge going right around the circumference of the tyre that should run parallel with the rim

I have just had a set of these and wasn't as impressed as others have been but I don't recall there being any undue vibration? Going back to the tyre fitter seems like the best plan. In terms of the tyre, mine squared off quickly and had a few moments where they were a little sketchy. Especially in the wet. I wouldn't go for them again.

I have put Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE's on now and these are without doubt my favourite tyre. Had them lots before and they are lovely to ride on. It is purely personal preference with tyres though, as we all know.

Hope you get this sorted.

Ok, went back and they removed the tyre and rotated it 180 degrees.

Apparently there is a heavy spot on every tyre. Also mentioned that GS spoke wheels are notorious at not been completely round.

Typical GS wheel apparently.

Rebalanced it and all is now as it should be.

Can't fault the tyres they appear to be excellent so far.

Glad you got a good result!! Lots of people fit them on Africa Twins and I can't remember reading anything negative about them.

Kimbo

Back
Top Bottom