Damaged bike, what would you do? Dealer question

I wasn’t able to get to the dealer yesterday due to work and same for today. I’ve managed to get hold of the lady in the service department who looked at the bike with the sales guy when I took it in. She’s promised me a call back with an update by close of play Monday.

If I hear nothing then I’ll be raising a complaint with the relevant people and even pushing for rejecting the bike, if for no other reason than to just be an awkward tw@t.

I think I can guess which dealer it is.
Although their service is good, the quality of work done is complete rubbish. My new 1250 TB came back from its first service with scratches all over the gearbox paint. My last 1250 came back with a huge scratch across the top tank panel. I've picked my last GS up rode away to find my Baglux harness wasn't secured at all at the sides so I lost two straps. My first GS was an ex demonstrator which was due for service as it had reached 5k (this actually turned out to be more like 7.5K) and it wasn't done at all. Bear in mind on the morning of picking up this bike we were heading off on a Scotland trip. I did play 'ell about it when I realised it hadn't been done.
My new TB was registered in '21 instead of '22 as they promised and to top it all it was presented to me with a number plate so offset and pissed I was asked when I got home by the wife what the hell was going on at the dealers to let a £19K bike out of the showroom like that.
I just didn't bother complaining about the paint as I couldn't prove they'd done the damage, it cheesed me off no-end though as I knew for sure I hadn't done it.
Now I go to the other northwest dealer for service work as there's no trust what so ever in the one where I bought the bike.
Good luck, I hope you get a positive conclusion.

I think I can guess which dealer it is.
Although their service is good, the quality of work done is complete rubbish. My new 1250 TB came back from its first service with scratches all over the gearbox paint. My last 1250 came back with a huge scratch across the top tank panel. I've picked my last GS up rode away to find my Baglux harness wasn't secured at all at the sides so I lost two straps. My first GS was an ex demonstrator which was due for service as it had reached 5k (this actually turned out to be more like 7.5K) and it wasn't done at all. Bear in mind on the morning of picking up this bike we were heading off on a Scotland trip. I did play 'ell about it when I realised it hadn't been done.
My new TB was registered in '21 instead of '22 as they promised and to top it all it was presented to me with a number plate so offset and pissed I was asked when I got home by the wife what the hell was going on at the dealers to let a £19K bike out of the showroom like that.
I just didn't bother complaining about the paint as I couldn't prove they'd done the damage, it cheesed me off no-end though as I knew for sure I hadn't done it.
Now I go to the other northwest dealer for service work as there's no trust what so ever in the one where I bought the bike.
Good luck, I hope you get a positive conclusion.

Tell us, so we can avoid

Tell us, so we can avoid

the one Pete M is mentioning will begin with a B. They are a highly driven target sales and service dealership. Money in is more important than customer service. I used to use them too, but don't bother anymore.

Any update OP ?

the one Pete M is mentioning will begin with a B. They are a highly driven target sales and service dealership. Money in is more important than customer service. I used to use them too, but don't bother anymore.

Any update OP ?

I'm referring to the "other" one. And sadly not, the lady on the Service Desk on Friday said this:

Hi Paul,

I will chase this up with Ben on Monday when in am back in if that's ok?

I will give you a call as soon as I have any more information.

Have a nice weekend.

Speak to you on Monday.

Kind Regards

If I wasn't working I'd go down there this week and wait to speak to someone but sadly I can't. Ultimately I can't prove the damage was done by them anymore than they can prove it was done by me. I'm more disappointed at the lack of communication.

Marshal Grimsby were equally uncommunicative when on my last bike BMW told me to reject it due to the issues with it and Marshal's went pretty much off the radar and acted irritated I was chasing for updates. Even their Dealer Principal failed to get back to me in a timely fashion, all the warranty work was done by Williams and despite they damage to my last bike they did, the service was always excellent and they rectified everything, that gave me the confidence to buy from them this time, that and the fact they are closer.

Anyway, thats where I am with it right now, seemingly reaching out to them isn't doing much and trying to get hold of anyone on the phone is almost impossible at times. Communication from Williams has been shocking right from the point of order up until now. The Salesman who I dealt with hasn't even acknowledged my email from last Wednesday let alone provided an update. (I did try to ring and speak to him direct, I even text and rung his mobile and got no reply).

Any update OP ?

Thanks

Seems like it's a pure lottery nowadays, with BMW Motorrad dealers

Sad sign of the times

Hard one since you have ridden it and didn't see it when they were handing over to you. Strange spot for a gouge so who knows how it happened

I have finally got a response, basically the long and short is they are only able to offer trying to touch up the paint on the engine, I've asked for a guarantee that if the paint should flake off/bubble etc later on down the line then I won't have issues getting it sorted under warranty.

I have finally got a response, basically the long and short is they are only able to offer trying to touch up the paint on the engine, I've asked for a guarantee that if the paint should flake off/bubble etc later on down the line then I won't have issues getting it sorted under warranty.

So in reality they are doing nothing . You’ll probably do a better job yourself.

So in reality they are doing nothing . You’ll probably do a better job yourself.

That was thinking, they’ve suggested they could ceramic coat it for free and it would then be covered for 3 years. But when I queried where I’d stand if the paint on that part of the engine went bad in the years to come and could I have assurances that it would be rectified, they have gone away to “discuss” where I would stand in that situation.

I seriously doubt ceramic coating a bike that’s already damaged would be covered by the coating later on down the line for the simple reason, it was like this before the coating would be applied.

All I want is assurances that if I have a problem later on, I can rely on the warranty/dealer to take care of it but they seem reluctant to commit to that, which I get, but the bikes a month old and has covered 300 miles. I don’t want to be lumbered with a 6 grand plus bill later on for an engine replacement.

Why are you giving in?

Ride it up there, reject it, get a taxi home.

Seriously, it's not good enough, but their get out will be the few miles you've done - it;'s a 50/50 call, but I wouldn't accept it.

These type of situations are always a trade off......is the issue that bad it's worth spending alot of your time on it or can you live with it and just have a stress free life?
It's annoying that this happens, but this is why you should video the bike/take pictures before it goes in - I have learnt this from another experience and do it all the time now............unfortunately, your damage is hard to prove that they did it, although it is most likely it is dealer damage caused by some neglect.

These type of situations are always a trade off......is the issue that bad it's worth spending alot of your time on it or can you live with it and just have a stress free life?
It's annoying that this happens, but this is why you should video the bike/take pictures before it goes in - I have learnt this from another experience and do it all the time now............unfortunately, your damage is hard to prove that they did it, although it is most likely it is dealer damage caused by some neglect.

I’m not even that arsed about the scratches as such, I don’t have to look at them daily, I’m just concerned if it develops into a problem later on will I end up footing the bill. If they can give me the reassurance it’ll be covered then I’ll happily go on my way and chalk it up to bad luck, but they seem unwilling to do that

Why are you giving in?

Seriously, it's not good enough, but their get out will be the few miles you've done - it;'s a 50/50 call, but I wouldn't accept it.

He took delivery of the bike and rode it. Not much to stand on in my view

He took delivery of the bike and rode it. Not much to stand on in my view

I do agree and note that point, however, giving in too early and still clesrly unhappy is not a resolution.

Stand up for a resolution you can say 'happy with the outcome', or 'lesson learned' (check bike), or stop moaning.

Why are you giving in?

Because you can’t just do that

If you’re going to keep it I would suggest clean the area thoroughly, then fill the the scratches with clear nail varnish, allow to dry thoroughly then you could leave as is, paint over, or coat with one of the many ceramic type seals available. Nail varnish is almost invisible, and very tough!

If you’re going to keep it I would suggest clean the area thoroughly, then fill the the scratches with clear nail varnish, allow to dry thoroughly then you could leave as is, paint over, or coat with one of the many ceramic type seals available. Nail varnish is almost invisible, and very tough!

Thanks, thats a good idea!

It's been over a week since I've heard from the dealer, so they clearly aren't interested in communicating with me, I've escalated this to BMW UK Customer Services who also seem equally as disinterested. It's looking like I'll be stuck with it as it is and having to hope the paint doesn't go bad later on down the line.....

Thanks, thats a good idea!

It's been over a week since I've heard from the dealer, so they clearly aren't interested in communicating with me, I've escalated this to BMW UK Customer Services who also seem equally as disinterested. It's looking like I'll be stuck with it as it is and having to hope the paint doesn't go bad later on down the line.....

You're too patient

If not done by you (as you say), then it could have only happened at the dealers

Simple question.

Have you got any leverage? If you don’t owe them money, and you don’t have a legal right to reject, then you’d be better fixing it yourself and moving on.

You get your revenge by naming and shaming. Maybe it’ll hurt their sales, though I wouldn’t bet on it.

Back
Top Bottom