F800R Advice

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Went to look at a tidy 2013 F800R tonight with wifey .
I’d hoped she was going to use my new Caballero but ‘ it’s not her ‘ and she would be happier getting her eye back in on something a bit cheaper .

So this F800 has FSH although it’s due a service again now , low mileage at under 8 k and looks very tidy apart from the usual age stuff such as stone chips on forks.

It’s fitted with an Akra and the guy has a large BMW tail bag that he’d probably chuck in .

I’ve owned an F800 GS for a couple of years but never an R .

Is there anything to look out for ? Assuming servicing costs aren’t horrendous?

b091657e0f83af98a836bea38cfa29e6.jpg

a147087e24547db8f7aba1633f130667.jpg

afa1d7bb7d51149a0e18703953253bf6.jpg

What do you think is a fair price ? Ta

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

He’s asking £2800 !

A bargain. Buy it. Not usually any horror stories with these bikes / engines. Engines sound like a bag of spanners, but that is normal. Sometimes get water leaks from oil cooler on front of engine, but easily sorted. Servicing costs are reasonable, but needs service warning turned off with GS911 or similar. I've owned the GS / S / ST and GT versions and have been happy with them all.

The F800 engine is very reliable, Micky took his upto 130k miles from memory. I hired one on hols with 85k on. I believe the stators go at 70k plus so that 62,000 miles to go. My 800 twin was serviced by Motor revive on here for £130 ish from memory. Valve service is 16k so the next service should be under £200 indi prices.

Im not suprised they have changed the exhaust can, its both ugly and heavy.

Simple stuff, check the headlight isnt cracked, they are hard to find secondhand and bee em want €250 upwards for one. The R is a higher state of tune than your older F800 but other than that what you see is what you get.

Thanks for advice .
I loved my 800 GS and only sold it due to a temporary romantic glitch
I’ve put in an offer .

Pretty sure the valve check service is at 12K.

I have the 2014 F800R which is identical to your pics. All good. Getting to the plugs and valves is a pain, but I put in Iridium plugs and she runs beautifully, and I hope for a long time. Light and nippy, and quick steering. Rob.

They are really good motorcycles.

I had one, using it here at home and on Wapping’s Wanders. I sold it to a friend, who was telling me that she now regretted selling it. Mine was all but identical to the one in the picture. Two tips, one of which might not apply.

1. I had the suspension changed to Nitron. Why? I much preferred it, as it gave a firmer ride. This might well not be relevant.

2. If you remove the baffle from the Akrapovic exhaust, it WILL fail a standard German police roadside decibel check. I know this, as I was caught. This was before the local authorities clamped down harder on noise, so I cannot believe it is much better now. If the original baffle / inner pipe has been removed (they were held in with a screw / rivet) buy one on eBay or from Akrapovic.

The engines are bullet proof. The optional ‘clam shell’ luggage is well made and works. I though mostly used mine with the BMW soft bag on the back.

I’d gladly own another. Besides my Honda Blackbird, it is the only bike I half regret selling.

IMG_0082.jpeg

Thanks for advice .
I’ve put in an offer .

Very nice bikes - not aware of any problems.

Still sorry I sold this one

Attachments

• F800R Chris Pfeiffer.jpg
    F800R Chris Pfeiffer.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 22
PS This might not be relevant but….

BMW designed a rather odd GPS mount, which bolted onto the fake fuel tank. I dumped this in short order and replaced it with the standard four button mount, mounted on the bars.

PS This might not be relevant but….

BMW designed a rather odd GPS mount, which bolted onto the fake fuel tank. I dumped this in short order and replaced it with the standard four button mount, mounted on the bars.

Ta but if she takes it away with me I’ll fit the Peak Design mount I took off the Cab and then she’ll use her phone

I know the 800 engine is well respected, and I think that's a great looking bike.

I suspect it will prove to be a load of fun and it's certainly good value.

I know the 800 engine is well respected, and I think that's a great looking bike.

I suspect it will prove to be a load of fun and it's certainly good value.

Aye. Will get it serviced and sling some new tyres on it . Dunno what though . Possibly Michelin Road 6 . Should be grippy enough

Thanks for advice .
I’ve put in an offer .

I haven't heard a sale-reason phrased like that.

Ta but if she takes it away with me I’ll fit the Peak Design mount I took off the Cab and then she’ll use her phone

whats the blue mount on the bars? Is it a Quadlock.

I have a Wunderlich variable position footpeg lowering kit (50mm)
I only had my F800R for six months so they're in good nick.
Let me know if you want them. BTW, it was a great bike but I moved
it on for another model, no romance involved.😊

Back
Top Bottom