German Tourists bikes stolen in Edinburgh

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Two German tourists both on old Honda CB750s woke up on Fri morning to discover both bikes had been stolen overnight in Edinburgh. These should be easy bikes to spot old CB750s on German plates, but no doubt they are long gone as bike theft in Edinburgh seems organised these days.

The guys took a train to Inverness and have hired bikes from Haggis Tours. Sad start to a holiday in Scotland but unfortunately seems be a common problem for all bikers in the capital.

That's just shit!
My GSA will be overnight outside in that area on Friday.

I've never heard of Haggis Tours in Inverness.

It's always struck me how few bikes you see in Edinburgh, we were looking at keeping a couple of bikes on the street when we stay there but the bike riding concierge reckoned they would be gone within the week.
Very sad for the visitors and locals alike.

It's a perennial problem.

Iirc Saltire MCs were offering secure garaging, at a cost of course.

EDAM (local IAM group) also organised multi lingual flyers warning foreign bikers to exercise care in securing their bikes. They were placed on any bikes spotted in the central area.

If anyone is visiting and needs secure parking, I may be able to help. Just drop me a PM.

Well done the police, usually only get to hear of the bad stuff (y)

It's a perennial problem.

Iirc Saltire MCs were offering secure garaging, at a cost of course.

EDAM (local IAM group) also organised multi lingual flyers warning foreign bikers to exercise care in securing their bikes. They were placed on any bikes spotted in the central area.

If anyone is visiting and needs secure parking, I may be able to help. Just drop me a PM.
Yip for saltire. Calum saw a need and put it into action.

Jim

Indeed, loads of bikers chipped in to get the young girl a replacement bike

Not quite. We collected enough to have Saltire Motorcycles get Maike back on the road.

That was October 2016 and was the point at which I suggested to Calum Murray at Saltire that he might offer secure overnight parking to touring motorcyclists.

Here's Maike picking up her wee Yamaha from Saltire. I sent some pics to several of the mags. I think Ride was the only one to pick up on it and they ran a small piece about it.

There have been several Police campaigns since then and some arrests of culprits and alleged ring leaders but the problem still persists.

Attachments

• 349074120_3653270961610890_2695819388159068186_n.jpg
    349074120_3653270961610890_2695819388159068186_n.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 56
I think we all know the problem will persist irrespective of police intervention. There are too many of these cretans and once one group are targeted by local officers and MAYBE lock them up, they simply displace the problem. But it doesn’t go away. It’s naive to think it could!

This is serious and organised criminality at the high end with bikes stolen to order and shipped overseas. Police Scotland are not able to deal with that in any meaningful way and so we, the owners of machines, need to be smart and make our possessions less able to be taken.

Police? They need to be more audacious and start talking to those on the street who live by different rules.

There is an emerging pattern to these crimes. If there is a pattern, with sensible use of intelligence gathering, there will be a way of disrupting the pattern and detecting the crimes, arresting the offenders. It needs a targeted approach which will mean costly and clever use of resources.....which is where Police Scotland has failed. Probably through no fault of their own. Too busy pissing about with politicians campervans and such bollocks.

Hi GW. Hope you’re all safe and well.

You’re not wrong here but sadly even targeted, intelligence lead policing has a short term effect.

Too many social worker types telling us how these poor wee souls are misunderstood and need help! For every hundred there’s one that does leaving 99 shit bags alive and kicking.

That is shit.

I’m in Germany now and thanking my lucky stars that my trusty steed has always been outside the hotels every morning for the past 2 weeks.

No chains. No nothing. But nobody wants my old banger 😀

Coming up to Scotland soon and probably going to be staying in Falkirk. Do I need to worry there?

I’ve ridden round Scotland before without much of a thought about bike safety apart from putting a lock on it.

Back
Top Bottom