German Tourists bikes stolen in Edinburgh

I seem to recall this being reported on here as happening to a German woman whilst in Edinburgh a few years ago.

Young lass if i recall, didn’t we all chip in to get her back on the road. It was only a little 125 or 250 wasn’t it?

Not quite. We collected enough to have Saltire Motorcycles get Maike back on the road.

That was October 2016 and was the point at which I suggested to Calum Murray at Saltire that he might offer secure overnight parking to touring motorcyclists.

Here's Maike picking up her wee Yamaha from Saltire. I sent some pics to several of the mags. I think Ride was the only one to pick up on it and they ran a small piece about it.

There have been several Police campaigns since then and some arrests of culprits and alleged ring leaders but the problem still persists.
IMG_3542.jpeg

Probably in the central Premier Inn. Just off the a9
First of all, I'm embarrassed for the rest of Scotland that these bastards do this. I always thought that bike crime up here was not really something travellers should really worry about.
I've read countless stories of bikes getting stolen in London but not travellers getting stung up here.
You do hear of bikes getting stolen but mainly motocrossers being targeted by youngsters.
As for Falkirk. You'd probably be OK, but after reading this post I wouldn't guarantee it.
If you can head further north and find somewhere quieter.
An hour up the road you could be in Perth or a small east coastal village. Much safer.
If not I'd say at least a disk lock as minimum.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Another option in central Edinburgh perhaps worth considering is Motostable which isn't far from Holyrood and the Old Town. www.motostable.co
I haven't used them and they charge £25 per night, but perhaps worth it if you don't lose your bike!

Back
Top Bottom