Go on

brettly777

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just pressed the button on a new GS TE. Ride a 125, 30 years ago but needed to get back into biking.
It’s got all the toys and I’m super excited about it. The ONLY question I have is about sport’s suspension. This bike doesn’t have it.
I’m 6’4” and will want to take this bike off road once I get used to it. Realistically it’ll only be green laning and gravel tracks.
Do I need the sport suspension or will the standard set up be fine.
It’s got dynamic, touring, pillion and comfort packs.
Will a rider with as little experience as me notice the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the bike got the electronic suspension?
Just select the right mode for off road and the bike will do it all for you, fingers crossed.

Just pressed the button on a new GS TE. Ride a 125, 30 years ago but needed to get back into biking.
It’s got all the toys and I’m super excited about it. The ONLY question I have is about sport’s suspension. This bike doesn’t have it.
I’m 6’4” and will want to take this bike off road once I get used to it. Realistically it’ll only be green laning and gravel tracks.

The GS is not the bike to learn how to ride off road on. Itll have cast wheels, no protective kit engine bars etc. you will wreck it pretty quick and will grow to hate its weight every time you drop it and have to pick it up
its a great on road bike. As you say its 30 years since you last had abike, stick to getting used to it on road, then buy a proper off road bike to do that off road stuff on

I would get yourself some training as well, there is a world of difference bewteen 125 and a 1250 and that 30 years gap will give you some issues

re sports suspension query, dynamic setting is what you look for, the bike does the rest but really you need to stick to normal road setting til you get used to riding again

good luck

The GS is not the bike to learn how to ride off road on. Itll have cast wheels, no protective kit engine bars etc. you will wreck it pretty quick and will grow to hate its weight every time you drop it and have to pick it up
its a great on road bike. As you say its 30 years since you last had abike, stick to getting used to it on road, then buy a proper off road bike to do that off road stuff on

I would get yourself some training as well, there is a world of difference bewteen 125 and a 1250 and that 30 years gap will give you some issues

re sports suspension query, dynamic setting is what you look for, the bike does the rest but really you need to stick to normal road setting til you get used to riding again

good luck

Wrong!
“Sport’s suspension “ is the same as the GSA has. 25mm longer. That’s it.
As for “dynamic “. Bollocks. Enduro Pro is the mode you want for green laning and off road. The clue is in the name.
Dynamic is for the road. Use it off road and you’ll be in a mess very quickly.
Go and do the ORS course. Pop the OE engine bars on and some Barkbusters and you’ll be fine.
Forget what many on here say. It has to get very technical and very narrow before you find the limits of a GS.

Thanks Russ. I took a mate’s advice and the first thing I did after passing my test was the Dave Thorpe honda off road course (2 days on Africa twins). Fantastic course and learned a lot (mostly that I have a lot to learn). Planning on taking as much training as I can including the BMW course.
Luckily I have a good friend who has decades of off-road experience with GS’s to teach and guide me.
Engine bars were a must as I know I’ll drop it but it’s not much heavier than the AT and the low c of g should help. That’s my thinking anyway.

Wrong!
As for “dynamic “. Bollocks. Enduro Pro is the mode you want for green laning and off road. The clue is in the name.
Go and do the ORS course. Pop the OE engine bars on and some Barkbusters and you’ll be fine.
Forget what many on here say. It has to get very technical and very narrow before you find the limits of a GS.

I am 6'4" too and the standard setup is fine.
make sure you get some good off-road tyres if your mostly off road, protection bars/plates and choose Enduro/Enduro Pro" modes when off road.

On the road, choose "Road" when dry and then "Rain" amazingly when its raining lol
"Dynamic" makes the bike feel stiffer and more responsive/aggressive, great for throwing it round twistys ;)

Will you notice the difference to a 125cc 30 years ago... of course you will.
along with the extra power and weight you will notice better suspension, smoother ride and better brakes.

Although the GS isn't a dedicated off-road bike, it comes into its own when your travelling and a shortcut involves a dirt track for example, its easily done on a GS.
On a other touring bikes such as Glides and Gold Wings, your going round the long way ;)

There is no need for me to say enjoy your new bike, i know you will :D

Wrong!

Try reading my post again a bit more carefully before calling bollox

Dynamic pro I suggested for on road as I also suggested that for someone coming back to bikes after 35 years going off road on a gs was a bit well daft

For a new rider are you seriously suggesting a bit of training off road and he’ll be fine? Really?
He needs to get some miles in on road first
He won’t thank you for advice that ends up with him wrecking his bike and possibly putting him off riding completely

Get a grip for gods sake!

Try reading my post again a bit more carefully before calling bollox

Dynamic pro I suggested for on road as I also suggested that for someone coming back to bikes after 35 years going off road on a gs was a bit well daft

For a new rider are you seriously suggesting a bit of training off road and he’ll be fine? Really?
He needs to get some miles in on road first
He won’t thank you for advice that ends up with him wrecking his bike and possibly putting him off riding completely

Get a grip for gods sake!

Agreed, wise words indeed.

good luck

Good advice regarding the off roading^^^^^.

For green laning, if I was the OP I'd buy and old 250 that he's not bothered about dropping. Easier to ride, easier to pick up.

Good advice regarding the off roading^^^^^.

For green laning, if I was the OP I'd buy and old 250 that he's not bothered about dropping. Easier to ride, easier to pick up.

100% - get a wr250 to learn the lanes, a mountain bike to maintain your fitness.

I used to live on the edge of the Plain, a GS would be sore to learn on....

go steady Brettly, my mate who was used to a fire blade with 20 years riding dropped his GS on his first ride, once they lean so far over they aren't being caught.

To be honest sounds a brave and potentially disastrous choice to jump straight into one, they are so damn heavy.

I am 6'4" too and the standard setup is fine.
make sure you get some good off-road tyres if your mostly off road, protection bars/plates and choose Enduro/Enduro Pro" modes when off road.

On the road, choose "Road" when dry and then "Rain" amazingly when its raining lol
"Dynamic" makes the bike feel stiffer and more responsive/aggressive, great for throwing it round twistys ;)

Will you notice the difference to a 125cc 30 years ago... of course you will.
along with the extra power and weight you will notice better suspension, smoother ride and better brakes.

Although the GS isn't a dedicated off-road bike, it comes into its own when your travelling and a shortcut involves a dirt track for example, its easily done on a GS.
On a other touring bikes such as Glides and Gold Wings, your going round the long way ;)

There is no need for me to say enjoy your new bike, i know you will :D

Fantastic. 4 more sleeps. This is better than Xmas.

go steady Brettly, my mate who was used to a fire blade with 20 years riding dropped his GS on his first ride, once they lean so far over they aren't being caught.

To be honest sounds a brave and potentially disastrous choice to jump straight into one, they are so damn heavy.

Thanks Si. Absolutely noted. As I say, a couple of days on Africa Twins off road taught me I have a lot to learn. Much more training on the cards including biker down, bike safe and more off road. I’ll take it really steady. Starting with the bits of the Ridgeway you can ride on. Also have a good mate who spends his life off road on a GS so I’ll be in good hands.

Thanks Si. Absolutely noted. As I say, a couple of days on Africa Twins off road taught me I have a lot to learn. Much more training on the cards including biker down, bike safe and more off road. I’ll take it really steady. Starting with the bits of the Ridgeway you can ride on. Also have a good mate who spends his life off road on a GS so I’ll be in good hands.

enjoy mate, safe riding :thumb

Nothing inherently wrong about jumping straight onto a GS.

Less wise if you are of a smaller stature, I have a mate who passed his test late having never ridden before and bought a Rallye - he's a tall unit and would have looked daft on anything smaller.

He took it easy, got some post test training and was an easy and competent companion on a tour of the Picos about 8 months after gaining his license.

One of the best things for him was getting comm'd up and practicing with a couple of other riders, following a very good rider(not me) and tailed by a gobby, critical-advice-giving, observer (me)

Having said that we do not do offroad, map reading fubars excepted so cannot comment on wisdom of doing that particular activity on the GS behemoth...

Ride safe, never stop learning, throttle goes both ways etc.

Nothing inherently wrong about jumping straight onto a GS.

Less wise if you are of a smaller stature, I have a mate who passed his test late having never ridden before and bought a Rallye - he's a tall unit and would have looked daft on anything smaller.

He took it easy, got some post test training and was an easy and competent companion on a tour of the Picos about 8 months after gaining his license.

One of the best things for him was getting comm'd up and practicing with a couple of other riders, following a very good rider(not me) and tailed by a gobby, critical-advice-giving, observer (me)

Having said that we do not do offroad, map reading fubars excepted so cannot comment on wisdom of doing that particular activity on the GS behemoth...

Ride safe, never stop learning, throttle goes both ways etc.

Totally agree. Lucky enough to have some police biker mates to help that learning process. What sold me on the GS was the whole suite of kit which MIGHT help with the inevitable mistakes I will make, rather than a more basic bike. Girlfriend calls me a “course w****r” as I still love learning. Very aware of my limitations. Thanks for the reply.

In terms of training I would get along to my local Advanced Motorcycle meet run by the AIM. For very little money you will get a good level of instruction that will help you deal with todays traffic and as importantly…discover the capabilities of your bike and build your confidence. You can take the advanced test but not compulsory….and you have up to two years to take it.

best advice I received after 20 years of biking. Learnt allot and enjoyed my riding much more. The off road course taught me many things principle of which was the incredible capability of the modern GS and second….it’s fecking heavy.

In terms of training I would get along to my local Advanced Motorcycle meet run by the AIM. For very little money you will get a good level of instruction that will help you deal with todays traffic and as importantly…discover the capabilities of your bike and build your confidence. You can take the advanced test but not compulsory….and you have up to two years to take it.

best advice I received after 20 years of biking. Learnt allot and enjoyed my riding much more. The off road course taught me many things principle of which was the incredible capability of the modern GS and second….it’s fecking heavy.
Wot he said. Apart from getting training and increased confidence, there's the social aspect of meeting fellow bikers (many not far off your age, I'd guess) to put all your questions to about anything connected with riding.

Good advice above re off roading too. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom