GS Club UK Sarratt Meet

City Slicker

Click on photos for a Hi-Res image

A well attended event tonight which attracted 15 members met at The Cricketers in Sarratt, the infamous bikers hangout near Watford.

I've never heard people chatter so avidly outside a WI meeting, in little groups poring over modifications and goodies attached to various bikes, enjoying a quick drink and a mild summers evening. There is nothing quite like seeing the various add-ons for the GS in the flesh to whet ones appetite for a spending spree!

Normally chocker with hundreds of bikes, the pub car park was dominated this evening by the GSers and those few that arrived on more humble steeds parked at a reverential distance leading quite a few of the group to agree that this would have to become our 'turf' on a regular basis.

To mark the occasion we took a group photo which reminds me a little of the official school photo (stand up straight in the back and stop chewing that gum!) but with one exception (probably because of his imminent appearance on Crimewatch:D) everyone managed to corral the bikes for a kodak moment, no doubt to be illustrated on the wall of the Ace Cybercafe in 50 years time for younger men to sigh and say 'they were the good the old days..'.

A few hardy souls stopped off at the Ace after the meet and arrived just in time for last (coffee) orders. Six of us left Sarratt but only five arrived so we hope that number six arrived home safely. One cup and several tall tales later we each left our separate ways vowing to return to Sarratt.

So, if this interests any of the guys who turned up tonight or tickles the fancy of those who could not make it, make a date in your diary for Monday 12th August which I think is the next meeting date. We were considering alternate weeks if there is enough interest, so please post her and express your preferences for meeting dates.

(These are the photos from the panorama shots if you want them)

From little acorns....

What a great evening, from a tentative query only two weeks ago to a turn out like last night, glad you enjoyed your selves.

I will definately be back for more.:beerjug:

Yup:
Great turnout . . . up until a few days ago it looked like there'd be about 4 of us, but we ended up with 15 GSs in all, 13 of them new-ish 1150s (we're a wealthy lot down in the Home Counties - some 1100 owners might say a stupid lot).
Thanks to Keeeffff and Wreford for plugging it, Malky for organising a ride-in from Amersham, and everybody who turned up. If this is going to be a regular "Home Counties" (Herts, Beds and Bucks) thing we can move around and hopefully attract some of the waifs and strays in Northants, Cambs, Oxfordshire and the western borders of Essex.
Simon E.

Many thanks to City Slicker for putting the review and pictures together.

I great Monday evening and I look forward to the next on the 12th August. There where a few suggestions that a more regular meeting take place maybe every two weeks, particularly during the summer months.

I'm up for the 29th July if there's any interest, as we seem to have a lot of support a suggested format could be:

8:00 at the pub for those that want to go direct and a 7:30 meet somewhere and ride in getting there at 8:30 for others. I'm working on the assumption that those getting there at 8:00 will not be alone (because of the high turn out) till the ride in arrives at 8:30.

If this fits then we could have a different ride in organizer at each meet, so any suggested starting points and routes in welcome.

If we wish to go for this format I'm happy to lead a ride in from St Albans on the 29th if that fits with you guys, it's a nice loop of 40 miles with all kinds of good GS roads, there's even a jump which I guarantee even the most cautious can do!

For those that want to practice in advance it's the road of the B489 leading upto Ivinghoe Beacon just take the turning fast ish in 3rd and keep her wide till you hit the cattle grid which is level but on a hill. You take off and the road comes back up to meet you the other side of the grid...easy

It helps to close the throttle a little as you leave the ground (or just hold on tight and keep your weight central) as a spun up GS landing has a lot of traction and drive on impact!

One last thing on the pictures City Slicker, I assume the ones taken on the M1 blast to the Ace cafe didn't come out... You know the one I was pulling away from you and you couldn't do a damm thing *about it! It's a shame the GPS tells all though... 130MPH on the clock and only 116MPH on the GPS, bugger.

Thank you all for the support.
Wreford

* Actually we know you could have gone faster, lose the panniers and top box, run your engine in a little more and oh yes crouch behind the screen. I assume the last point was difficult due to the tinted visor and tinted screen!

Well

Thought I was the only one with a funny looking bike.

I need to get out more as I really enjoyed meeting others, and going North, wow TREES, and as for the group photo, mines the GS.

Next time try and make HAMPSHIRE for coffee and danish as I`m only 55 mins from Serret or 75 miles.

Sad muppet,club meeting person, must be getting old, all down hill now, S---T a grey hair.

Guys,

I fully agree with everything said above!!

I'd support another meet on 29 July ( - let's make the best of these summer evenings!), especially as I would not be able to make the proposed meet in August.

I will, however, makesure that I have the GPS strapped on my bike next time, as I obviously took at least one wrong turn in the Hertfordshire lanes last night!

Best

Greg

:beer:

Yup, count me in!
Don't forget the following night, 30th, there's a bit of a do at Bracken's.
Simon E.

29th

City Slicker - great photos - like the one with the Ace Cafe. Got 'em all printed off and on the wall. Oh I am sad ;-)

Yup I am up for the 29th of July. As not able to make the 12th of August.

I really enjoyed Monday.

Now that trip to Ace Cafe where did the sixth man get to ?

** WARNING the banner appears to be showing some alarming photo, I am sure this is a malfunction. :) Nice one.

The 29th it is then...

An early start was a common requested so as suggested earlier we could say 8:00 for those that want to go direct to the pub and 7:30 at a pre agreed location for those who fancy a ride into Sarrat getting there at 8:30.

Again I'm working on the assumption that they'll be enough wanting to both so know one is left on there own.

If this fits then please let me know here, if your happy to have the ride in starting from St Albans or have an alternative start and route also confirm here.

We also talked about finding another location/pub, can I suggest that on the 29th we stick to The Cricketers, Sarrat but those with other ideas bring them along on the night having done a rec. beforehand to test parking, liking for bikes, food etc. so that we can agree and make a decision during the evening.

Finally.

Bakerman you know it make sense to come along...please bring cakes!
Cambridge Steve you to, and we'll be checking your pegs
Fritzy having just ridden back from your place and picking up part of what would be my ride in route to Sarrat I've got to say you'd have a brilliant ride, so well see you then and if there is a ride in starting from St Albans we'll meet you at Tring Station if you like
Essex boys common it's not that far and I know we use to chase your girls but that was long time ago
Yosi this would make a great night to canvass attendance for the following night at Bracken and we know you can muster a crew

Can somebody fix the weather.

Cheers
Wreford

what about the 29th

Oh go on then twist my arm! Looking forward to it!!:bounce1
Yes City Slicker - great article and pics [very clever that 3 into 1 panoramic - I'm intrigued how that's done!].
Any body riding in from High Wycombe area - Malky? Big C? How about meet up points on the way in? Any one else out this way??

Great Evening!!

And great piccies!!

Will def be there on the 12th Aug - on the assumption the jaunt to Greece goes to plan!! Due back on the previous day so will be nice opportunity to bore you with the details

And for your benefit Wreford, I won't have had achance to clean the bike!!!

Tim

Essex Boys

Ok I'm up for it, Any other essex boys going, we could either meet up in St aLbans or meet local and ride to Sarrat.

Comments ?

Dave

Sarratt

I'm in Billericay but work in the City.Not been to any GS meets so will definatley try to make it straight from work.

Re: what about the 29th

notadrop said:

Any body riding in from High Wycombe area - Malky? Big C? How about meet up points on the way in? Any one else out this way??

Yup count me in. I am "in between jobs". Loving the sun. Therefore I loads of time if anyone wants to take the long way.
Notadrop, Big C let me know times, places...

I made that Indicator mod today, I reckon it is cool.

Ride in to Sarrat

I'm assuming there's intrest...

So for those that want a nice 40 mile loop into Sarrat leaving StAlbans dead on 7:30.

Get you and your trusty steads to the area in front of the Clock Tower. I'll be there at 7:20

You'll find the clock tower 20 Yards NE main cross roads in the centre of town where the A1081 and A5183 meet.

If your arriving from the EAST A414 or M25 J21 you'll be coming in on the A1081 and need to go straight over the lights and we'll be on your right

From the WEST M25 J21a you'll be on the A5183 come up the hill to the lights and go left and we'll be on your right

From Redbourn You'll be on the A5183 go to the right of the TOTAL garage up the hill round the bends and will be....that's right you've guessed it 20Yards before the lights on your left

If in doubt ask for Zizzi's!

For those wishing to meet at Tring...Will stop by the Station Car park at 8.00.

If you intend to join me give me a quick call/text to confirm.

Cheers
Wreford
07957 802 546

Wreford:
I'm hoping Steve Currell will join me and we'll come in from Leighton Buzzard way to Tring and meet you there at 8pm.
Simon E.

Back
Top Bottom