On my way to Algeciras - Morocco bound

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
Yesterday I set off from Mazamet with the motorbike intention of crossing the Pyrenees and then carrying on to Lleida, but when I arrived there I thought it was a kip, so blasted on another while to Teruel. No photos as I was making progress. For a while though I tagged on with four lads riding fast on big bikes at 120. But after we got caught behind a van for a while they blasted past but I couldn't so they dropped me.

The CB500x is a fine bike for back roads I really like it, and the Mitas e07 plus tyres fitted so far on a dry road are a bit noisy but great road holding.

Today my destination is Ubeda. I hope to visit a national Park en route.

What's the travel agent to use in Algeciras?

Cheers

PXL_20231101_205533565.MP.jpg

PXL_20231101_193831308.jpg

Screenshot_20231101-203008~2.png

Thanks Paul.

Today was one of the hardest rides I ever did. Storm Ciaran made it all the way here, I seriously considered stopping twice. But in all honesty the little cb500x with the Mitas tyres was brilliant, strong winds and driving rain cut my speed right down but I managed to keep going. Really glad I bought the poncho from quad lock as the rain stopped the phone screen working. I stopped had a cup of coffee and dried the phone put it in the poncho and then rode on no issues . The weather is shocking, hopefully it will blow itself out tonight. So I can move on to Algeciras in the morning.

Again no ride photos, it was just shite.

PXL_20231102_175440816.LONG_EXPOSURE.jpg

PXL_20231102_165908395.jpg

PXL_20231102_165713083.jpg

Screenshot_20231102-174646~2.png

Glad you didn't follow the turkeys on full sprint. If you've got time then take it and make it into a marathon and not a sprint. The best rides are done when you aren't watching the clock.

Im down in Marbella. Windy now, but the forecast says it should be calmer tomorrow. Its dry and warm anyway. If you get stuck let me know.
Thanks, I should be good, I am heading to a motorbike shop for some shoei helmet screws, the plastic ones and a decathlon for a couple of things the last day has made me realise I might need. I am travelling very light..... Algeciras before dark tonight, there is slight drizzle here but I think it is supposed to stop

I presume we’ll be getting the full RR as you go, once the weather settles down ?
Looking forward to Maroc vicariously 😉

I presume we’ll be getting the full RR as you go, once the weather settles down ?
Looking forward to Maroc vicariously 😉
I guess so, I have an itinerary but don't know anything about Morocco, the old fashioned way, meet people and get ideas.

First question, I'm now just past Malaga and at last it's hot. Should I get the boat to Cueta or Tangier...

First of many stupid questions, probably...

I have an itinerary but don't know anything about Morocco, the old fashioned way, meet people and get ideas.
Sometimes the best plans are to 'make it up as you go along'.

First question, I'm now just past Malaga and at last it's hot. Should I get the boat to Cueta or Tangier...
I know you're a seasoned traveller Richie but entering via Ceuta can be daunting at the Fnideq border.
Tangier Med is a much more civilised point of entry.

First of many stupid questions, probably...
There's no such thing as a stupid question, it's simply a question you don't know the answer to.

I’ve only ever used Ceuta & it’s an ‘interesting’ introduction to the country
Maybe use Tangier Med to ease yourself into it….

Ceuta....I was flipped the finger as soon as I got through the border. Felt right at home :DD

Tangier med is easy peasey, off the boat under the tunnel turn right,keep in the left lane up the hill for import stuff..
Then past customs is your insurance, money changer,sim card..( they set it up for you.)..
Out the docks,onto a roundabout and away....

DO NOT LOOSE THE SLIP OFF IMPORT PERMIT PAPER THEY GIVE YOU...

Tangier med is easy peasey, off the boat under the tunnel turn right,keep in the left lane up the hill for import stuff..
Then past customs is your insurance, money changer,sim card..( they set it up for you.)..
Out the docks,onto a roundabout and away....

DO NOT LOOSE THE SLIP OFF IMPORT PERMIT PAPER THEY GIVE YOU...
Ok.

Ubeda to Tariffa, as I met a moto guide at my last fill up who said it's the easiest. I called into Carlos and got the ticket, SIM card and some local cash. Plus a photo with Carlos, or three ...

Pulled into Tariffa and had a glass of vino Tinto then headed to the hotel for a private room with bathroom and bike parked outside my window.

Now of for a few bevvies and food. Tomorrow 11 boat to Tangier, my first time in Morocco but second in north Africa, three to four weeks is the plan.

Cheers

About 1600 since I left Mazamet. Today I did free dual carriageway as I wanted to sort out some stuff. Helmet fix in Granada, boat ticket in Algeciras. I need a map of Morocco, a one litre fuel canister and maybe a light jacket, stillPXL_20231103_145202611.jpgPXL_20231103_145403257.jpgPXL_20231103_163547866.jpgPXL_20231103_080604434.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom