How does the Ducati V4S Multistrada compare to my GS, my thoughts.

Great review / write up BDG. I came to the GS from an 8 year run on Multistrada’s, starting in 2010. (not the V4) Miss the power of the Multi at times, but at 5’9” I used to find it a bit ‘top heavy’ - especially when loaded, but overall I find the GS more comfortable, easier, and generally a better suited touring bike…. However, there is something about the Multi which makes it very appealing.

I agree with your assessment. I think the press reports by very enthusiast journalists gave me unrealistic expectations of the V4S and I just came to the conclusion that it wasn't the right type of bike for my style of riding. I couldn't find anything wrong with it but I didn't get that 'Wow! I want one of these' feeling. I can't pretend that the price wasn't a factor but had it been the bike for me, I would have seriously considered stretching to make it so.

My 1200s haven't been problem free and my riding mates will tell you of my girly strops over broken keyless ignitions (plural) and ABS sensors, but the warranty service at BMW has been first class. I also had reservations about taking a punt on the Ducati dealership, reliability and warranty experience. I'd been test riding bikes, looking for a change and the V4S was my last one. I had a 1200 at the time and although I enjoyed the ride out on the V4S, I chugged home on the GS and pondered why I wasn't more enthused.

I then went on a four day trip to Wales and chugged around various reservoirs and tanked around A and B roads with and without luggage. Had a great time. I then took out a 1250GS out of curiosity and it put a smile on my face. Not a step change but enough improvement in the engine and gearbox to consider a change up. The money from a lucrative short term contract was burning a hole in my pocket and I knew it would just disappear into savings unless I took the plunge. Mrs Woodster was not against me using this money to fund another bike but I knew resistance would increase once it appeared on a savings account balance.

As I turned up at the dealer with my 1200GS, stripped of its farkles and my new 1250 was wheeled out I got the butterflies in my stomach. This increased when that moment comes we have all experienced with a new bike: the post-sales patter has finished and they've gone back inside. You're on your own, geared up, helmet and gloves on and ready to go. Planet Rock on the headset. A bit fingers and thumbs. I fired her up and the TFT swirled into life. I then rode down the street of a South East England seaside town with a massive grin on my face.

Great report BDG , I came from the Gs1250 and to honest I was not really looking at changing more of an itch that need to be scratched but once I had the full day test on the V4 ( thanks Worcester Ducati) I was impressed enough to trade the 1250 in and start fresh.
From the off I knew the bike had lots to offer , I just needed to find it as its a lot different to the Gs in riding style and expectations . 2000 miles in I have found it and find the more I ride it the better it gets , keep it above the 6500 range and its a missile but with the handling of the Gs , which surprised me as I am not a fan of forks , but suspension is that good . As BDG I had the full Tractive system on the 1250 and find the V4 better and more compliant when pushing as it seems to never loose its poise.
Low revs around the lanes and it still feels great , not the low down punch of the Gs , which I do miss , but now replace by riding it with a bit more thought which I like and the difference is minimal now I have covered the miles and understand it more.
Comfort wise its the same as the Gs as Ducati sensibly got rid of the banana seat on the old multi for a Gs type set up. My old Multi 1200 was great but so uncomfortable and not suited for pillion touring. Wife has commented that the comfort is the same , the Gs perhaps a bit more room , but thats it.
Luggage , yep a bit pointless compared to the Gs so have ordered the new SW Motech set up for next years trip to Itay so it will be the same as the Gs in that respect and expect the suspension to cope well.
The ability to change the settings on the bike is great and allows you to tailor the bike to you needs/style, again nice touch and not just a gimmick but a great rider aid.
Fuel ...............mmmmm , not that good , 140 to a tank , at the moment average 35mpg , so its a bit thirsty , but with the additional power the trade off is just. You need to rev more , its a 4 cylinder and it likes to be thrashed and Ducati engines like it . Will this be an issue for me , no. Fun has its cost. I always felt the Gs was being thrashed beyond its limits at times and mechanical sympathy did at time raise its head , not so on the V4 , it wants more.
Would I go back to the 1250 is a hard question to answer as I have so much respect for the bike and also many 1000s of miles and memories but my honest answer is no. The no come with sadness but if the new 1300 is as good as I imagine it will be ,maybe it could draw me back , but a test ride would be needed. Both bikes are so close in the real world of riding and expectations , not the figures game and both deliver a great all round package and both stand on the same high ground. Looking forward to the adventure continuing and the future trips to Spains best roads where I feel this bike needs to be and exploit more from its abilities and find the sweet spot again i had with the Gs , but faster lol..

Nice review / summary Stick. As you say, both bikes are class and it really just down to personal preferences, ride characteristics….and whatever floats your boat huh. Enjoy :beerjug:

BDG...I am with you ! As much as I would love to have more top-end on the GS I would never trade the additional horsepower between 8-10000rpm for the superior TORQUE , Telelever and driveshaft of the GS ! Also the Ducati sounds like shite...Embarrassing especially for a italian bike if a BMW sounds better...Having said that the Ducati does not feel as fast.A S1000XR feels faster and a S1000RR is as much faster as the XR as the XR is compared to the V-4 Multistrada...I'm waiting for the R1300/1400GS that will have 160hp/150nm torque I hope...:D That should be enough to be exiting and not get boring for seasons to come...That will be the best street-bike for the next 10 years :thumby: Hopefully also a variant with a 17" front to run track-day rubber with a lower handlebar and a S-variant as a modern version of the R1100S and all will be good in the BMW-world ! Until then there is no other bike I rather have than my 2019 R1250GS-HP with sports-suspension changed to tractive GS-ADV suspension , cast wheels and Akra EU-3 pipe...Still love it as a backroad-weapon :thumb2 But I'm not so rure about the Pirelli ST2 anymore...When they get hot they can let go without much warning.That did not happen on either Conti TA3 or RA3...

BDG...I am with you ! As much as I would love to have more top-end on the GS I would never trade the additional horsepower between 8-10000rpm for the superior TORQUE , Telelever and driveshaft of the GS ! Also the Ducati sounds like shite...Embarrassing especially for a italian bike if a BMW sounds better...Having said that the Ducati does not feel as fast.A S1000XR feels faster and a S1000RR is as much faster as the XR as the XR is compared to the V-4 Multistrada...I'm waiting for the R1300/1400GS that will have 160hp/150nm torque I hope...:D That should be enough to be exiting and not get boring for seasons to come...That will be the best street-bike for the next 10 years :thumby: Hopefully also a variant with a 17" front to run track-day rubber with a lower handlebar and a S-variant as a modern version of the R1100S and all will be good in the BMW-world ! Until then there is no other bike I rather have than my 2019 R1250GS-HP with sports-suspension changed to tractive GS-ADV suspension , cast wheels and Akra EU-3 pipe...Still love it as a backroad-weapon :thumb2 But I'm not so rure about the Pirelli ST2 anymore...When they get hot they can let go without much warning.That did not happen on either Conti TA3 or RA3...

Just a small point the V4 delivers the power lower down the rev range compared to the S1000r etc and is surprisingly strong on low down pull , not as easy to find as the Gs but still there , as I said you need to re educate your riding to pull out the best of the V4 , once achieved its great and also the handling is fantastic in all situations . Have been caught out a few times with a bit of dive from the front end but again ride thro it now using a different style, job done and is as capable as the TL front.
I was and still are a massive fan of the TL but the Multi suspension is as good if not better.
Also the 19 front makes no difference to the bike and I found it better than the old 17 1200 Multi I had, personal choice mind , oaky tyre choice may be restricted but the gains are minor , and to be honest track focused in reality.

Just a small point the V4 delivers the power lower down the rev range compared to the S1000r etc and is surprisingly strong on low down pull , not as easy to find as the Gs but still there , as I said you need to re educate your riding to pull out the best of the V4 , once achieved its great and also the handling is fantastic in all situations . Have been caught out a few times with a bit of dive from the front end but again ride thro it now using a different style, job done and is as capable as the TL front.
I was and still are a massive fan of the TL but the Multi suspension is as good if not better.
Also the 19 front makes no difference to the bike and I found it better than the old 17 1200 Multi I had, personal choice mind , oaky tyre choice may be restricted but the gains are minor , and to be honest track focused in reality.

The 1250 GS has, I believe 105 foot pounds of torque, available quite low down in the revs compared to a V4 lump. that torque is class leading and not to be sniffed at. On a V4 multi that will need compensating for at corner exit etc with lower gear, higher revs etc.

Has the Multi V4 engine got the same torque mapping cleverness that my Streetfighter has ? it always tries to give as much torque as possible wherever the revs are ( or something like that ) but it still falls well short of that 105 Ft pounds

Great report BDG , I came from the Gs1250 and to honest I was not really looking at changing more of an itch that need to be scratched but once I had the full day test on the V4 ( thanks Worcester Ducati) I was impressed enough to trade the 1250 in and start fresh.
From the off I knew the bike had lots to offer , I just needed to find it as its a lot different to the Gs in riding style and expectations . 2000 miles in I have found it and find the more I ride it the better it gets , keep it above the 6500 range and its a missile but with the handling of the Gs , which surprised me as I am not a fan of forks , but suspension is that good . As BDG I had the full Tractive system on the 1250 and find the V4 better and more compliant when pushing as it seems to never loose its poise.
Low revs around the lanes and it still feels great , not the low down punch of the Gs , which I do miss , but now replace by riding it with a bit more thought which I like and the difference is minimal now I have covered the miles and understand it more.
Comfort wise its the same as the Gs as Ducati sensibly got rid of the banana seat on the old multi for a Gs type set up. My old Multi 1200 was great but so uncomfortable and not suited for pillion touring. Wife has commented that the comfort is the same , the Gs perhaps a bit more room , but thats it.
Luggage , yep a bit pointless compared to the Gs so have ordered the new SW Motech set up for next years trip to Itay so it will be the same as the Gs in that respect and expect the suspension to cope well.
The ability to change the settings on the bike is great and allows you to tailor the bike to you needs/style, again nice touch and not just a gimmick but a great rider aid.
Fuel ...............mmmmm , not that good , 140 to a tank , at the moment average 35mpg , so its a bit thirsty , but with the additional power the trade off is just. You need to rev more , its a 4 cylinder and it likes to be thrashed and Ducati engines like it . Will this be an issue for me , no. Fun has its cost. I always felt the Gs was being thrashed beyond its limits at times and mechanical sympathy did at time raise its head , not so on the V4 , it wants more.
Would I go back to the 1250 is a hard question to answer as I have so much respect for the bike and also many 1000s of miles and memories but my honest answer is no. The no come with sadness but if the new 1300 is as good as I imagine it will be ,maybe it could draw me back , but a test ride would be needed. Both bikes are so close in the real world of riding and expectations , not the figures game and both deliver a great all round package and both stand on the same high ground. Looking forward to the adventure continuing and the future trips to Spains best roads where I feel this bike needs to be and exploit more from its abilities and find the sweet spot again i had with the Gs , but faster lol..

Stick I think your analysis is bang on, which comes from doing some proper miles and not just a test ride. It’s a very close call between the bikes but for trundling around the GS has the edge but for a thrash the V4 is in the lead in more ways than one. Thrashing the GS doesn’t feel quite right whereas the Ducati thrives on it. Above 6,000 the Ducati really excels.
I’d loved to have ridden them back to back in France.

My ride home from Peterborough was at the end of a long hot day that started in France so not a like for like comparison. The Ducati does cosset you lower down, it’s a fabulous all rounder but the GS was easier at the end of a long hot traffic congested day when I was tired. I was surprised how good the Ducati was and still keep thinking of swapping. Both great bikes.

Do the SW panniers fit the Ducati lugs or need horrible scaffolding frames?

I have had several GS's over the years, currently a 1250 @ 12000 miles with Touretech suspenders. I have had 2 Multistraders L twin DVT which was a great fun bike with a brilliant engine and handling, low c of g and agile but had a drinking problem especially in the Alps.....maybe 140-mile tank range.

I test rode the V4 and it was full of torque at higher revs but spanking it achieved 35mpg.....so the tank range put me off as I long-distance tour. I did have to freewheel down some passes in my L twin.

The 1250 GS will now rev to the red line whereas 1200 ran out of breath.....so a1250 can be ridden like a Multi but its weight somehow rears its head when pressing on, however, it's a great handling bike in the twisties and two up with 36 pairs of shoes in the top box.

Both great bikes. Tough call.

My first GS I bought back in 2000. R1150GS, Kept it for 14 years. Since, 1215 Tiger explorer, Binned that after 8 months, Then four GSA's to current.....
V4S, Its nice. Has all the gadgets. Power. But not for me. Heat from the left side is horrendous. Felt very plastic, if you know what I mean. Its the shaftt, or rather lack of a shaft. Which I require during my weeks, months away. Also, new chain and sprockets every 20k.... Im sticking with the GS. And next year the power will be up, on the M13GS, although Power isn't lacking on my current GSA.

The 1250 GS has, I believe 105 foot pounds of torque, available quite low down in the revs compared to a V4 lump. that torque is class leading and not to be sniffed at. On a V4 multi that will need compensating for at corner exit etc with lower gear, higher revs etc.

Has the Multi V4 engine got the same torque mapping cleverness that my Streetfighter has ? it always tries to give as much torque as possible wherever the revs are ( or something like that ) but it still falls well short of that 105 Ft pounds

Mine has the full system on so its around 98 ft pounds (133nm vs 143nm) and 4 hp more , trick I have found is to ride it slighly higher in the revs and when it kicks in it bloody out pulls the Gs all day , but you do need to be awake and not snooze as the gs allows you to as the Gs will stay there all day . The whole ride is more urgent , but with grace , and at this moment in time its ticking the boxes. I presume it will have the same / similar mapping as mine is the Evo map and it does seem to find the torque , but slightly higher revs evens it out and then the V4 explodes out of the corners specially with the anti wheelie off and the TC at 1 , its a hoot , makes my face ache with smiling.
But again saying that the Gs is a great bike and should never be underestimated , ever.

I have had several GS's over the years, currently a 1250 @ 12000 miles with Touretech suspenders. I have had 2 Multistraders L twin DVT which was a great fun bike with a brilliant engine and handling, low c of g and agile but had a drinking problem especially in the Alps.....maybe 140-mile tank range.

I test rode the V4 and it was full of torque at higher revs but spanking it achieved 35mpg.....so the tank range put me off as I long-distance tour. I did have to freewheel down some passes in my L twin.

The 1250 GS will now rev to the red line whereas 1200 ran out of breath.....so a1250 can be ridden like a Multi but its weight somehow rears its head when pressing on, however, it's a great handling bike in the twisties and two up with 36 pairs of shoes in the top box.

Both great bikes. Tough call.

Fuel is bad , but can carry extra fuel just in case , toured many times with a guy on a Dorso 750 that managed 100 max to a tank , but always managed to make fuel , we apart from once but that was due to him not splasing when dashing , only 5miles short so no issue. Two up with luggage may or may not use more as its more of a tour so fuel may go further , but again will attached extra to the panniers. Its not often where I tour that fuel is an issue (Spain, Itay , France , Switzerland) pre planning is my key .
The Gs 2 up loaded is a peach to ride , not yet fully tested but two up with a test load in the plastic cases and top box proved good with no issues and the bike ran very level and smooth.
Agree its a tough call as my 1250 ( as you TT Suspenders ) was a brilliant bike , but fancied a change .

Stick you bought a new MS-V4 spend a lot of money and like it and that is great ! I also would love the 30 additional hp the V4 has over the GS (and I think it is coming in the new generation for 2023) but I would NEVER go back to a chain or a fork...Chain is o.k. for a trackbike and so is a fork because tracks are SMOOTH but on the street shaft and load-seperating Telelever beats 30 additional hp ! As the MS really is not that fast...More Torque than a XR but compared to it pretty tame on top.Maybe the Multistrada Pikes Peak with a 17" front will change that...Enjoy the rest of your season and hopefully you can get enough gasoline to feed that thirsty V-4 since there are not enough lorry-drivers willing to work for slave wages...;) I myself take the GS out one more time to Mexico and fear neither MS-V4 or 1290 SAD-S :thumb O.K. top-speed with bags is 125mph vs 150 max...But in the twisties T-L and Torque more than makes up for the missing 30 hp on top as I ran down even a few XR's in spring who were ridden in anger...:D

It’s not a money worry , bikes are my hobby, I only ride for fun or racing . The points made about the chain and forks are fair but also a bit odd , the chain can be looked after , adjusted and monitored. The forks are great for the road and well suited to our rough English / Welsh roads as too is the TL .
Top speed is for a certain click , not me , it’s how you get there is the buzz and both the Gs and the V4 get the groove well , just different horses .
Another point it’s not figures ….. it’s real ridding and the ability to absorb the reality around you 👍👍🍺🍺

Really interesting thread. I love my new GS but have an itch to scratch. it started with thinking I needed a second bike like a Streetfighter or a Tuono, and has subsequently evolved to consider changing the GS for a V4S.

This thread and a few others have been really helpful in deciding what I should do. Keep the GS, pay for another storey on the triple garage to house all my bike gear instead, and wait for the more powerful GS to come through in a couple of years! :okay

Stick I never met you but I like reading your posts and I hope you enjoy your new toy ! I 'm just a hardcore boxer guy that would love more topend power but would never stray away from Telelever that soaks up every bump and resist any forkdive while hard on the brakes like no fork can...And chains have come a far way but I would never go back to a chain...And in case of a mis-hap the cylinders of a boxer can protect your legs like no other engine configuration can...I'm sure you'll be back when the release the all new R1300GS on sept. 22 2022 :thumb2 Until then enjoy your new ride !

Snelly...For the Road there is only one bike that does it all . For me it is the GS and as worldwide sales show a lot of other people feel the same way.These naked bikes are useless.Too upright to put down the power.No windprotection to use the power and no bags or centerstand to make the bikes more useable then a equally for the street useless superbike.Superbikes are great if you are into trackriding and in that regard more useful than naked bikes.
So for the pool of bikes I would look at is very small...A M1000RR for the track and a 1250GS for the street or if you can live with a substandat fork and chain but like the exitement of a topend rush the S1000XR.But for me T-L & shaft wins over additional 35 hp...As also the MS-V4 and 1290SADV-S belongs in that club of bikes suitable for the street and for the first time in what feels like 20 years a bike from japan the new GSXS1000GT...But I wait for the new GS that will be lighter,smaller and has more hp :thumby: In a year we know if someone from BMW was lurking here...:D

Yofi..The current R1250GS & 1250GS-ADV will be made up to the end of the 2022 modelyear/summer 22...September 22 BMW will release the all new R1300GS for the 100 Anniversary of BMW Motorrad ! 10 years after the release of the then all new R1200GS-LC...Which feels like yesterday...Time flies if you are having fun ! Hopefully this time a R1300XR and R1300S will be part of the new line-up :beerjug: But only with Tele-Lever ! As forks are better left for the table :D

Back
Top Bottom