Internal condensation

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Years ago, during the 14 years I kept my 1150. It was generally the idea that it was not a good idea to start the bike up once a month through winter. As this would cause condensation in the gearbox housing.
So. With the LC is this OK now ?
Im keeping my current GSA and the warranty is about to expire ! I don't like the idea of it not running up at all through winter. And for those that say ride it..... I don't want to ride it. Its in a heated garage, on carpet, plugged into the wall now until next year.

Why run it ?
It is in a dry relatively warm environment....presumably plugged in to an optimate? I'd cover it up and then uncover it in Spring, check it over, start it and ride it

Fuel turning to gunge. Oil around bearings and seals ect ?

Why run it ?
It is in a dry relatively warm environment....presumably plugged in to an optimate? I'd cover it up and then uncover it in Spring, check it over, start it and ride it

I agree. Running it serves no purpose.

Unless you run it up to full operating temperature and for long enough to drive off all internal condensation, all you are doing is promoting corrosion in the engine and exhaust.

Fuel turning to gunge. Oil around bearings and seals ect ?

Not necessary to run up, over winter garaging

Does more harm than good on any bike (air or watercooled) as the engine & rest of bike doesn't get up to full operating temp and also the air temps inside and outside are lower in winter than summer, so more potential for condensation

My 2005 1150 GSA has been parked up this week and won't be restarted again, until next year, in late March/April (this year it was June, because of Covid - so 9 months) and always starts first push of the starter and rides away, without any ill effects in the 15 years I have owned it

Park it up, clean and leave until you want to ride again - put it on a battery tender for 72 hours each month, only (don't leave it attached permanently to a tender)

Driveshaft and housing last month, not opened up since it left the Berlin Spandau factory at assembly in 2004 and doesn’t seem to have any ill effects from not using or starting each of the last 15 winters in a non heated garage

ee7b21d64ecaad2e2f17a12106a8c7d2.jpg

Ditto what JB says. Worked for my R1150GS when I was living in Cardiff and storing it 33 miles away in my mother's garage. Do the same with my XR now as I tend to ride the RS in winter.

I have always run mine for 10 minutes occasionally through the winter months on my bikes i don't use. After reading this i will now not bother.

It was a defo no no with the dry clutch models.
It seems still best not to bother starting them though.

I do move my bikes occasionally over the winter to stop the tyres resting in one place. With the centre stand now though on my GS it makes it even easier ��

Good idea.
Ill do my van first. Then my car. Then the wife's car. Ill need lots of grease !

Or you could however , pick a nice day , thrash the bugger and place back into hibernation , its a bike , use it , rain or shine . clean , ride repeat ....... unless Santa says noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Or you could however , pick a nice day , thrash the bugger and place back into hibernation , its a bike , use it , rain or shine . clean , ride repeat ....... unless Santa says noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:thumb

+1 - Plenty of good riding days in the winter

+1 - Plenty of good riding days in the winter

Indeed , good gloves , kit and a heated jacket are all you need , it will also hone your skill set on a bike as well as the concentration levels are higher , personally I love it as it makes me keep fresh ready for the summer rides , dropped in with a few nice green lanes / enduros on the 250 , what more can a man want from the dark days of winter . Ride ride , ride ..............................

At the moment...

Stored, battery charger, wheels off ground and lift locked.

I never turn them over during storage, just leave them.

Attachments

• 20201029_105431.jpg
    20201029_105431.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 20201029_105443.jpg
    20201029_105443.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 290
At the moment...

Stored, battery charger, wheels off ground and lift locked.

Praise be to Allah that you posted pics too. I'd wondered what the bottom half of a bike on a little red lifty thing, padlocked looked like. I'll sleep tonight now. :beerjug: :D

Back
Top Bottom