Iran and back in a month on a 650.

Drumacoon Lad.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I try and do one long bike trip each year and two years ago I rode through Africa to Dakar and Gambia which was a great riding adventure. One problem that trip gave me was how to follow it. The obvious answer is to go further south all the way down to South Africa. Of course this is a tempting prospect but I'm not sure I can commit the months this would need. Last year I went to Romania and the Balkans and while that was interesting, it did not take me out of my comfort zone and I felt a little unfulfilled as it was not an adventure. So where to go this time? Well I flirted for some time with the idea of Samarkand in Uzbekistan. I loved the sound of it and its association with the silk road, but how would I get there. Russia was one route but I did not fancy going that way, nor over the Caspian sea on the ferry which only runs when it is full and Iran was the third route but needed an expensive Carnet de Passage(CDP) passport for the bike. When ADAC in Germany took over the issuing of CDPs and it became cheaper to get a CDP it made Iran look a more attractive option. In researching Iran I wondered if it was right to just pass through this fascinating country and maybe I should focus on Iran as a destination. Yes there are policital issues around Iran which made me uncomfortable but all I had read indicated the people were friendly and welcoming to visitors.

The first challenge was getting a visa and to get one that would allow me to travel unaccompanied and not with a guide. If you are a UK or US citizen then a guide is mandatory but my having an Irish passport helps. I spoke to 2 Iranian travel agencies and one told me I still need a guide even though I'm Irish but another agency says I do not need one. I engaged the positive agency and they got me a visa approval number from Tehran in about 10 days and I asked them to forward it to the newly opened Iran consulate in London. So off I headed to the consul for the morning opening of the visa section. Despite running out of petrol on the motorway I got to the consul by 10:30 to find the times had changed and it only open in the afternoon from 2 – 5, great. So after a visit to the Science Museum and lunch I returned at 1:30 to find around 70 people already queuing on the pavement, all looking for a visa. By 3:30 I had made it to the steps of the office, by 5:00 I was at the booth and managed to get an official to check if my approval number had been received from Tehran. They stayed open beyond the 5:00 closing time to try and handle the vast number of applicants and at 5:30 I was told my approval had arrived and they would accept an application form and my passport. This done I was told to return in one week to receive my stamped passport. I felt this was the first day of my adventure. Returning at 1:00 a week later I had my stamped passport in my hand by 3:00, a great result. So now the trip was really on.

In parallel to this visa activity I was negotiating with ADAC in Munich on a CDP. This proved to be quite an easy process, helpful people who speak good English. I held back on sending the money for the CDP till I had the visa in hand, so I will pick up the CDP in Germany as I pass through. I was also having a debate on which bike to use. When I went to Turkey a few years ago I used my bigger R1200GS bike but for Gambia and Romania I used the smaller XCountry 650. The 1200 would be best for the motorway but the 650 is lighter and more manoeuvrable. After struggling with the 1200 in the London traffic, while getting my visa, I decided to revert to the 650. This probably means my daily mileage through Europe will be nearer 400 miles per day than 500, but I should still get down to Iranian border in around 8 days. The other factor was I had not begun to prepare the 650 and it needed tyres, chain and sprockets and a service in a hurry. As I do most of my own servicing this was a bit of a challenge and I started by ordering parts. In fact with 2 days to go the new chain and sprockets have still not arrived. Hopefully the bike will be ready by Thursday when I head for the ferry.

My route through Europe will be on motorways as I need to cover the ground quickly and I have already visited all of the countries I pass through, and I do not have time to linger. My aim is to complete the trip in around 31 days, 8 days to the Iran border, 14 days in Iran and 8 days returning, so as I said, no time to linger. The 8 days should be sufficient to reach Iran, as last time I made it to Istanbul in less than 4 days with the bigger bike. The route will be through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Turkey. In Turkey I will take a direct route through the north of the country to the Iran border and if time allows on the return leg I will explore a little of the Back Sea coast of Turkey. One other thought for the return journey is to take the ferry from Patras in Greece to Venice. This is not much quicker than riding on the motorway but the ferry would save me a couple of days in the saddle. As with most of my trips I don’t have a fixed schedule just a rough plan but it usually works out.

Well with 2 days to go the chain and sprockets arrived late afternoon and are now fitted, so the bike is ready for the trip, hopefully the owner will be too. So off to the ferry/train on Thursday and first overnight will be in Mainz in Germany. Further updates and photos to follow. Here is one of the bike, almost packed.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/gsjim2/media/Mobile Uploads/2016-05/IMAG1474_zps2n2bbc4e.jpg.html]
IMAG1474_zps2n2bbc4e.jpg
[/URL]

Enjoy your trip :thumb

We rode through Iran and fell in love with the place ... amazing people. Stop and ask someone for a hotel and they will take you home to stay with them. Their hospitality and warmth is second to none.

Best of luck, enjoy, take time to smell the flowers :thumby:

:beerjug:

Looking forward to your reports. Good luck on your travels.
Bf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your reports. Good luck on your travels.
Bf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus one.....
Always a great read and superb pictures...

Exactly as Micky said. The Persians are one of the friendliest people you could encounter. Been in Iran 10 years ago and was great. The area around Kaspian sea was nice. Looking forward to your reports and have a safe journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Subscribed. Have always wanted to visit Iran. I'd hoped that the recent thaw in relationships would make things a bit easier re CDP and visas. Maybe a bit soon for that? Anyway, enjoy the ride.

Iran

Good luck in your travels. I will be following your RR with interest - like you, I am an expatriate Irishman living in Hampshire. Iran has been on my list since 1979 (when a little local difficulty stopped me getting in).

Recently read Peter Cullen's interesting ride to Iran (petcul of this parish) and hope you will have similarly good experiences. I am particularly interested to hear how the Adac carnet works out for you.

Subscribed!

My friend Marcin who is cyprys on here, rode his 1150 to Nepal a few years back, in aid of an orphanage there. There's a trip report both somewhere on here and on Adv Rider. Marcin said that the warmest, friendliest reception of any of the countries he passed through was in Iran. So much so he came back saying he was going to learn Farsi.

Good luck - I shall look forward to following your trip with interest...

Hey folks, was not expecting such interest on my planning, such as it was, of the trip. Great to hear the positive experiences others have had of visiting this country. My choosing Iran as my destination has not been greeted with universal approval. It is important to separate the reality from the hype.

Just to say I have made it to Mainz, Germany today, in time to catch the ADAC office before it closed at 6 PM. Picked up my Carnet du Passage sent here by the kind folk in Munich. Quite an easy process.

OK photos are popular but this is hopefully the most boring I will upload. Bike on the shuttle train. Never keen that bikes are on the side stand and not strapped down as on ferries. If the train braked suddenly it would be like dominos.

We did the tunnel once and the most striking part was the lack of anything for either you or the bike. May be different now, but then you hadn't a seat, so as you said, a sudden stop and it would be carnage. Never understood how in this nanny H&S world they got away with that. Perhaps it will all change after it happens.

Sounds like a great trip.
What's that white/black box thing by your right knee?

I wrote paragraphs in my head as I rode today but they will have to stay in the memory as it is midnight and time for bed. Some if it was quite funny too. Anyway today was 10 hours of riding in rain on German autobahns on a holiday weekend, with resulting jams and accidents. Am in Villach, Austria this evening close to Slovenia.

Some positives, I know my new waterproof trousers fit and are waterproof and I don't need to clean insects off my screen or visor in the morning and I enjoyed a welcome lunch with relatives in Munich as I passed through. The bike coped admirably with the conditions and I just sat there giving minimal input. I had a better day than some of the people in the accidents or the poor guy who's car dumped an oil slick in the road and will probably need a new engine. Bike riding has days like these and the trick is to survive and make progress. I suspect wet gloves will be a distant memory as I continue east. Hopefully I'll get past Belgrade by tomorrow.

Good idea on the strap and black and white box is Acerbis 5L auxiliary tank as bike has a 9L main tank.

Well there I was just starting to dry out after 2 days of riding in rain. My gloveswere juststartingto dryout andwas thinking ill need to take the waterproofs off the then looked ahead to see this. I wondered if it might be a storm.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/gsjim2/media/Mobile Uploads/2016-05/IMAG1483_zpsqjjxtfo4.jpg.html]
IMAG1483_zpsqjjxtfo4.jpg
[/URL]

Well I didn't have to wait long to find out. It poured and with raindrops that stung my legs even though waterproofs and bike trousers. It didn't last too long but I was wet again and kept the waterproofs on till I parked up. Storm clouds over the Balkans, you could say.

My first look out of the window in Villach seemed quite promising with almost blue skies. However when I went outside it was already raining. So I left in rain and headed off to Slovenia. Slovenia is a lovely country with great roads so it seemed a pity to blast through on a motorway but that is how it had to be with a tight schedule.

After Slovenia came Croatia and then Serbia where I am now. These 3 hard riding days have been with the aim of getting me here, in a position to get into Turkey tomorrow, to get to eastern Turkey in 7 days total, so still on track.

You notice that costs drop as you go east, at least for accomodation. I'm in a reasonable en suite room with breakfast for less than 20€. I wonder sometimes about bringing camping gear. I hope the pace slows down a little now as these days have been tyring. So off through Bulgaria to the Turkish border tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom