Is there another Salisbury Plain in the UK?!

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bit of a random one!

I'm just curious to know if there are any other areas in the UK that has comparable gravel tracks and trails like those on the Salisbury Military Training Area?

I ask for this reason. My other half and I are heading to the Nordkapp in May and that will probably consist of covering significant sections of the TET. I'm fairly comfortable on the big GSA and would consider myself an intermediate rider when off tarmac. However, the other half is very much inexperienced. And I'd really like to get out and aout on soem UK gravel tracks to get some practice in. Salisbury plain is perfect in that regard, I'm not looking for anything technical, just a good few miles of gravel to ride - fire roads, forest tracks and the like. We've beem to Salisbury a couple of times and the traiing area (noting therestriction - when we are allowed to travel across it) has been really useful for training.

I also have access to trailwise but that doesnt really give me the type of surface as such. Hence me asking here.

if anyone has any suggestions I'd be keen to hear off you.

I've spent years driving the greenlanes of Wales. And yes there are loads. But there aren't may I'd cosider tame enought to put a 2 wheel beginner on that's for sure :ROFLMAO: The likes of the lane that runs alongside the Claerwen Reservoir is one but that sort of surface that I'm looking for is few and far between.

There's Warcop up in Cumbria which is pretty huge, but more restrictive when it comes to access / rights of way

There is plenty of information on the training areas here on the defence estates, with links off to various sections https://www.gov.uk/guidance/defence-infrastructure-organisation-and-the-defence-training-estate

Kielder Forest drive would give you 12 ish miles of gravel each way to ride for a fiver and would be great for a novice, plenty of cheap B&B around the area to, so could make a weekend of it. The drive does close through winter and IIRC it's open April to October.

And if you are nice to the farmer (as Greg once told me) he’ll let you through :)

I’d be interested in similar gravely area closer to London.
I want to exercise on my drz and a flat gravely surface would be nice.

The perimeter road of the Claerwen Reservoir is a pretty flat dirt road (about 5 miles). It's public highway as far as the farm gate and would be great to get some training miles in...
It is indeed. You can in fact get a permit to pass the gate too. Although it gets a bit messy at that point :) And although I havent been for a while now I'd be tempted by the Rhayader steps too - I hear they have been graded now. Still, it's not quite what I'm looking for just now. Basically it wold be a long way to go for fairly little gain given the length of track available. You're right hough it would be perfect otheriwse. Thanks for the suggestion.

There's Warcop up in Cumbria which is pretty huge, but more restrictive when it comes to access / rights of way

There is plenty of information on the training areas here on the defence estates, with links off to various sections https://www.gov.uk/guidance/defence-infrastructure-organisation-and-the-defence-training-estate

Kielder Forest drive would give you 12 ish miles of gravel each way to ride for a fiver and would be great for a novice, plenty of cheap B&B around the area to, so could make a weekend of it. The drive does close through winter and IIRC it's open April to October.

Love the idea of Forest Drives - these would be perfect and there are a few around. I hadnt considered this. Worth a fiver all day long! Thanks.

It is indeed. You can in fact get a permit to pass the gate too. Although it gets a bit messy at that point :) And although I havent been for a while now I'd be tempted by the Rhayader steps too - I hear they have been graded now. Still, it's not quite what I'm looking for just now. Basically it wold be a long way to go for fairly little gain given the length of track available. You're right hough it would be perfect otheriwse. Thanks for the suggestion.

Love the idea of Forest Drives - these would be perfect and there are a few around. I hadnt considered this. Worth a fiver all day long! Thanks.

You could combine the Kielder Forest Drive with the Otterburn training area - just the other side of the A68. :thumb2

And if you are nice to the farmer (as Greg once told me) he’ll let you through :)

I’d be interested in similar gravely area closer to London.
I want to exercise on my drz and a flat gravely surface would be nice.
Technically you don’t need to be nice to him.
The actual road runs through the river to the side.
He’s just enough of an arse to make sure it’s impassable 99% of the time.
We just open the gate nicely, slime and the odd occasion he comes shouting point out his illegal blocking of the actual route and that we’ll pop it on Fixmystreet/council/Dwyr Cymru/etc.

Another option is to call Paul at Le Chesnay.
80% of everything you ride is lovely flowing tracks.
He’s ex-Herts TRF chairman and still heavily involved.

Another one for Kielder Forest Drive .. it is superb and runs through a massive area of what is effectively 'wilderness'.

I've spent years driving the greenlanes of Wales. And yes there are loads. But there aren't may I'd cosider tame enought to put a 2 wheel beginner on that's for sure :ROFLMAO: The likes of the lane that runs alongside the Claerwen Reservoir is one but that sort of surface that I'm looking for is few and far between.
Surely Bastard Lane 'be just the place for your other half to master her craft :augie and it is in Wales, so hardly any traveling involved.

Another one for Kielder Forest Drive .. it is superb and runs through a massive area of what is effectively 'wilderness'.
A fair old distance from South Wales though.

Yeah, last time we’ve been there we went through the river.
He wasn’t there (and we weren’t bearing any liquid gifts :) )

Surely Bastard Lane 'be just the place for your other half to master her craft :augie and it is in Wales, so hardly any traveling involved.
Never ridden it. But I have driven it in various types of Land Rover. Few ever came out the other end without some damage. It's got that name for a reason :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, last time we’ve been there we went through the river.
He wasn’t there (and we weren’t bearing any liquid gifts :) )
Just to be clear guys and gals. This is permitted access and has been for quite some time now. Just be aware if trying to slip through without one. Its issued by the Ellan Valley Park Authority so farmer will gladly allow you access in retrun for a few beers!!

Last edited:
He’s just enough of an arse to make sure it’s impassable 99% of the time.
We just open the gate nicely, slime and the odd occasion he comes shouting point out his illegal blocking of the actual route and that we’ll pop it on Fixmystreet/council/Dwyr Cymru/etc.
Claerwen.jpg

That doesn't appear to be correct.

Although I don't have the definitive map available, the current OS map clearly shows that the RoW for vehicles stops at the gate.

Back
Top Bottom