It’s sending me around in circles

Isn't this similar to the old Garmin 550 problem where if you went off route with auto recalculate set it would then take you direct to the destination missing all the interim points you originally set up. The cure was to turn off the auto recalculate so that when it flagged up you were off route you could choose what to do. In most case I would then carry on or if I was really off route I would visually aim to get back to the purple line on the map.

Works for me especially as my 2007 maps on the 550 have never been updated. There are whole stretches of the A14 where it shows me as travelling through fields. I've no idea what recalculate would do.

Seems to me what may be needed is a better understanding of what 'Recalculate'engenders

tom.

Isn't this similar to the old Garmin 550 problem where if you went off route with auto recalculate set it would then take you direct to the destination missing all the interim points you originally set up. The cure was to turn off the auto recalculate so that when it flagged up you were off route you could choose what to do. In most case I would then carry on or if I was really off route I would visually aim to get back to the purple line on the map.

Works for me especially as my 2007 maps on the 550 have never been updated. There are whole stretches of the A14 where it shows me as travelling through fields. I've no idea what recalculate would do.

Seems to me what may be needed is a better understanding of what 'Recalculate'engenders

tom.

I think it is. As I recall, when following a pre planned route on any of the Garmin devices, going off the route would make the device auto recalculate, which it did just with whatever route parameters were set in the device and paying no attention to your pre planned route.

As you say, the solution was always turn auto recalculate off, and show the track as well so you knew where to go.

I can’t remember what happened if you found your way back on to the route and then started it again, but I don’t think it just picked up where it left off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmin still wins over phones as the hardware is much better for being put out in the pissing rain, on the end of some wobbly fitting or other and bashed by apes wearing thick gloves.

Obviously radio silence over at Garmin HQ as they realise yet another punter has spotted an obvious flaw they should of picked up in the first 5 minutes of beta testing and have still not figured out how to fix 3 years later, I expect at some point they will launch the XT3 and say they have fixed it on that model, and all I have to do is hand them another £500.

The Explore app was really buggy for me, routes not showing up on it, so unable to select to display the track as it completely removes the option direct from device - how f*****g stupid again from Garmin! But I qucikly figured I did not want them knowing everywhere I go, how I go there, how fast I went etc etc. If they want to know that they will have to pay google or my phone provider ;-)

Pretty sure just using gpx 1.1 is OK in general, but it makes some pretty shitty routing decisions compared to the previous gen, seems to like to ask you to do a 30 minute detour because of a 3 minute traffic delay, and near me it thinks the main drag out of town heading towards civilisation is closed, has done for about 3 months now, yet the Mrs goes that way to work every day and said it has not even been closed for a single day in that time - and I regularly find it shows incorrect road closures - and did on our trip, now wondering how often we got re-routed for no reason?

A big part of the problem seems to be new technology that is just not good enough, live traffic thats not all that live, around me knowing a bit of road was busy an hour ago is useless, and if they want to include road closures they need to have very accurate information - they clearly don't.

I wish ou could just turn off live traffic and road closure info as it definately causes way more problems than it solves, but looks good on the spec sheet and the marketing ****s love all this stuff, knowing we (the general public) are all too keen to swallow the hype and then not hold them to account when it turns out shit....

....Or else every European motorcycle manufacturer would of gone bust long ago ;-)

I should have added - I appreciate and understand all the work you've done trying to find an answer to this problem.

:beerjug:

I wish ou could just turn off live traffic and road closure info as it definately causes way more problems than it solves, but looks good on the spec sheet and the marketing ****s love all this stuff, knowing we (the general public) are all too keen to swallow the hype and then not hold them to account when it turns out shit....

....Or else every European motorcycle manufacturer would of gone bust long ago ;-)
Hi Rasher you can turn traffic off on the XT. Its Settings-Traffic-Traffic and there is a tick box. You can untick this and the unit will have no clue what the traffic is doing, but allows the Garmin Drive app to remain connected for route uploads. If you chose to keep it on you can chose Settings-Traffic- Optimise Route and select "On request" or Automatic. I keep it as "On request" and make up my own mind if its telling porkies or not :D To be fair it seems to be reasonably accurate for the road delays round here at rush hour, but weirdly not for road closures. I've just asked for a route the fastest route and road crosses a bridge which has been closed since the recent floods. No warnings at all on the XT but clearly identified and re-routed for Google Maps. :D

Garmin still wins over phones as the hardware is much better for being put out in the pissing rain, on the end of some wobbly fitting or other and bashed by apes wearing thick gloves.

Obviously radio silence over at Garmin HQ as they realise yet another punter has spotted an obvious flaw they should of picked up in the first 5 minutes of beta testing and have still not figured out how to fix 3 years later, I expect at some point they will launch the XT3 and say they have fixed it on that model, and all I have to do is hand them another £500.

The Explore app was really buggy for me, routes not showing up on it, so unable to select to display the track as it completely removes the option direct from device - how f*****g stupid again from Garmin! But I qucikly figured I did not want them knowing everywhere I go, how I go there, how fast I went etc etc. If they want to know that they will have to pay google or my phone provider ;-)

Pretty sure just using gpx 1.1 is OK in general, but it makes some pretty shitty routing decisions compared to the previous gen, seems to like to ask you to do a 30 minute detour because of a 3 minute traffic delay, and near me it thinks the main drag out of town heading towards civilisation is closed, has done for about 3 months now, yet the Mrs goes that way to work every day and said it has not even been closed for a single day in that time - and I regularly find it shows incorrect road closures - and did on our trip, now wondering how often we got re-routed for no reason?

A big part of the problem seems to be new technology that is just not good enough, live traffic thats not all that live, around me knowing a bit of road was busy an hour ago is useless, and if they want to include road closures they need to have very accurate information - they clearly don't.

I don't need to touch my phone screen when riding (I'm pretty sure your Garmiin/Tom Tom specifically state you shouldn't be touching the dvice either whilst riding)....I can use voice to get my phone to do things.
Specifically navigating to points or places which for most people is probably 98% of using a satnav.

Wireless charging isn't affected by rain
Quadlok and RAM Mounts do not wobble
Live traffic in Google maps/Waze App is as live as it can be as the information is taken from people currently stuck in the traffic jam along along with known route issues from previous data.
I don't see how after spending hundreds of pounds you then have to turn features off to make it work is somehow better?? Maybe this is why literaly zero vehicle manufacturers are fitting Garmin or TomToms into vehicles yet they are Android Auto or Apple Carplay (And now even bikes)

Maybe I'm just old school

Last edited:
I don't need to touch my phone screen when riding (I'm pretty sure your Garmiin/Tom Tom specifically state you shouldn't be touching the dvice either whilst riding)....I can use voice to get my phone to do things.
Specifically navigating to points or places which for most people is probably 98% of using a satnav.

Wireless charging isn't affected by rain
Quadlok and RAM Mounts do not wobble
Live traffic in Google maps/Waze App is as live as it can be as the information is taken from people currently stuck in the traffic jam along along with known route issues from previous data.
I don't see how after spending hundreds of pounds you then have to turn features off to make it work is somehow better?? Maybe this is why literaly zero vehicle manufacturers are fitting Garmin or TomToms into vehicles yet they are Android Auto or Apple Carplay (And now even bikes)

Maybe I'm just old school

And yet you moan about Garmin My Maps, not being available on Android devices :D

PS Spare us all any lectures on touching GPS screens whilst driving or riding, please. 10 to 1 says you’ve unwrapped the odd sweet or two whilst driving along or grovelled in your glove box for sunglasses.

PPS Mento sweets are my favourites, to pop into my mouth whilst hooning on my awesome. The lack of a paper wrapper around the sweet itself, makes them so much easier.

And yet yiu moan about Garmin My Maps, not being available on Android devices.

PS Spare us all any lectures on touching GPS screens whilst driving or riding, please. 10 to 1 says you’ve unwrapped the odd sweet or two whilst driving along or grovelled in your glove box for sunglasses.
I never moaned about that...

I was explaining the difference between an App and a web browser and why they probably stopped the app version.

Google maps/Waze do me just fine in my travels as it would do in 95% of everyone else's.

I got bored of spending lots of money on a device that didn't deliver long ago.

I'm also smart enough to buy sweets that don't need unwrapping

And yet you moan about Garmin My Maps, not being available on Android devices :D

PPS Mento sweets are my favourites, to pop into my mouth whilst hooning on my awesome. The lack of a paper wrapper around the sweet itself, makes them so much easier.

Also I think you are confused as we were talking about google my maps which has nothing to do with Garmin and is a completely separate piece of software to google maps

I bought the XT for the ability to follow complex routes, take in the exact roads I want to, with the stops I planned, seeing the things I wanna see....

.... Not jusy say "Hey Google, find me a fucking boring way to X, and make sure we miss all the good roads and nice places to eat"

The annoyance here is garmin have fucked up on what must be some of the simplest code involved in making these things work, the fact it can figure out how to get from one waypoint to another (and have done for years) makes this debacle infurating, it basically has to just do that with a small tweak so if a Via is missed it forcbly routes to it, and if a shapng is skipped it just re-rotes to the next one - like hitting the skip waypoint button.

How they never picked this up in testing is a mystery to me, how they went on for 3 years without fixing it is even bigger mystery!

The annoyance here is garmin have fucked up on what must be some of the simplest code involved in making these things work, the fact it can figure out how to get from one waypoint to another (and have done for years) makes this debacle infurating, it basically has to just do that with a small tweak so if a Via is missed it forcbly routes to it, and if a shapng is skipped it just re-rotes to the next one - like hitting the skip waypoint button.

How they never picked this up in testing is a mystery to me, how they went on for 3 years without fixing it is even bigger mystery!
Yeah but apart from that its a good unit :D. Yes my first interactions with the XT were very frustrating as I have three other old Garmin units and a Nav IV (don't ask) which have always behaved as expected to the extent I never involved myself with discussions about the units just got on with using them. Now that I have gotten used to the XT foibles I can make it operate in the way I want it to. However it requires more application of though than I had experienced with my other units. That said, I toured with it and My Route planner on an Ipad/phone and found by applying what I had learned about the unit it behaved as expected. Agreed though if it performed its primary function as well/easily the older units it could have been magnificent. I'm not sure that the sometimes odd routing behaviour of the XT started with it. Some folks on the Zumo forums have re-jigged their Zumo 595's to run Zumo 590 software. I'm not sure why Garmin haven't addressed some of the XT foibles as they are now well understood and have been reported numerous times to Garmin.

I bought the XT for the ability to follow complex routes, take in the exact roads I want to, with the stops I planned, seeing the things I wanna see....

.... Not jusy say "Hey Google, find me a fucking boring way to X, and make sure we miss all the good roads and nice places to eat"

Why would they fix it when they can just sell you the XT2 XT3 etc? Another £500 please cha ching

Reading through various forums it appears that the XT2 is not without its issues. There is a particularly entertaining rant about half way down this page on ADVrider

It appears that garmin is moving more toward cloud services for its units but seems to be in a bit of a muddle as to what cloud services do what and to what devices and when. It appears to be trying to get away from basecamp but as yet has not developed anything for online use that is as powerful/useful. I think that motorcycle and automotive GPS units are a poor revenue generator for them now and they probably concentrate more on sport and fitness devices, for which the market is huge. Also they are trying to compete with/and differentiate from smartphones by adding loads of functionality to the motorcycle gps devices and maybe have lost focus on the devices primary function? On the app store they have 15 different apps dedicated to various GPS activities from Golf to cycling and diving!! Four of the apps are related to motorcycle navigation. Tread, Drive, Explore and Motorize...there is also a fifth called catalyst for track driving. BMW have obviously gotten fed up with garmin (Nav VI debacle perhaps?) and gone their own way. It will be interesting to see if garmin persist in the motorcycle consumer GPS market or move to overlander type units as they appear to be doing with the Tread product line. They appear not to be doing themselves any favours with what was a fairly loyal customer base at the moment. Hardware is great as always software, not so much.

Reading through various forums it appears that the XT2 is not without its issues. There is a particularly entertaining rant about half way down this page on ADVrider

It appears that garmin is moving more toward cloud services for its units but seems to be in a bit of a muddle as to what cloud services do what and to what devices and when. It appears to be trying to get away from basecamp but as yet has not developed anything for online use that is as powerful/useful. I think that motorcycle and automotive GPS units are a poor revenue generator for them now and they probably concentrate more on sport and fitness devices, for which the market is huge. Also they are trying to compete with/and differentiate from smartphones by adding loads of functionality to the motorcycle gps devices and maybe have lost focus on the devices primary function? On the app store they have 15 different apps dedicated to various GPS activities from Golf to cycling and diving!! Four of the apps are related to motorcycle navigation. Tread, Drive, Explore and Motorize...there is also a fifth called catalyst for track driving. BMW have obviously gotten fed up with garmin (Nav VI debacle perhaps?) and gone their own way. It will be interesting to see if garmin persist in the motorcycle consumer GPS market or move to overlander type units as they appear to be doing with the Tread product line. They appear not to be doing themselves any favours with what was a fairly loyal customer base at the moment. Hardware is great as always software, not so much.
As per recent company data, Garmin earned 11 percent of its revenue from the automotive segment in 2022, whilst the combined outdoor and fitness segment earned 54 percent of the revenue. In total, the firm earned approximately 4.86 million U.S. dollars in revenue in 2022.

I don't know if the automotive sector includes their maritine navigation systems as well but 11% is small compared clothing stuff so would explain their lack of interest in producing decent products.

I got sick to death of companies not fixing even the simpliest of issues (TomTom for me years ago) and just switched to maps/waze and Osmand and have never looked back. Especially now phones are waterproof etc.

Spending £500+ on something that doesn't do its only function is just shocking in this day and age. maybe it explains why vehicle makers no longer fit them in their vehicles and just use Android Auto/Apple Carplay as they work.

Good post, Mzokk and pretty much my take on it, too.

Like you, I believe that:

a. Garmin took their eye off the ball, when it came to motorcycle GPS units a while ago, not least when they started to pander to every bikermates’ “It must have this, it must have that, it must have more and more stuff”.

b. Whilst I was always a big fan of MapSource and BaseCamp, never finding either particularly hard, Garmin missed the boat when it came to the ease of Cloud based versions of BaseCamp, easily accessible via say, an iPad. They also came very late to the whole Bluetooth transferring of routes and updates over WiFi.

c. They, like BlackBerry, failed to see or apparently appreciate the significance of the rise of the omnipotent smart phones. Whilst I do not think it’s a great idea to have an expensive smart phone as a GPS device AND a multi-purpose phone, I can see why millions do.

d. They similarly are missing a trick when it comes to integration with TFT screens and the whole ‘CarPlay’ thing.

Automotive products are just a small part of Garmin’s toy chest, they remain pretty considerable players in the aviation and marine sectors and, of course, in the general sports arenas.

Garmin are gonna be in a whole heap of trouble, if they don't get this figured out................or maybe they just want the outdoor/recreational GPS market

Garmin does do weird shit, there is no doubt. Often had it tell me to exit a straight road, go down a slip road and re-join. Despite no waypoints to divert to…Overpriced American junk imo. I have used garmin, then tomtom units and gone back to garmin. Eventually settled on tomtom app.
MRA works brilliantly for creating routes and exporting to tomtom app, which I run on my Samsung s10.
The big thing with ALL routing is the accuracy and number of waypoints.
My garmin now only gets used to find petrol.

Back
Top Bottom